Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) by PC Cast

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by PC Cast, Kristin Cast

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2)
Authors:PC Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Vampire

Betrayed by P. C. Cast

English (116)  Dutch (1)  All languages (117)
I’ve read the first eight books in this series years ago, and I enjoyed the first few of them. This time around I’m not liking them as much. I actually hated Marked, but Betrayed wasn’t as bad.

I had some problems with this books. There was a lot of slut shaming and some other things that really bothered me. The characters just say some things that I wish they wouldn’t. I know they wrote it that way because it’s supposed to be how teenagers talk, and I suppose some do talk like that, but it really annoyed me.

I am about to start re-reading the third book, Chosen. Hopefully I enjoy it. I just don’t know what to expect with these books. Going into Marked I thought I would like it, and I didn’t. Going into Betrayed I thought I would hate it, and I ended up thinking it was okay. So who knows what will happen with Chosen. Maybe it will be the first in the series that doesn’t lose stars. The first few books for me were three stars the first time I read them. They aren’t any more. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | May 26, 2015 |
Nefret is a baddie?????? Why can't Zoey have a mother figure she can trust??? Thank goodness for her grandma! And Stevie Rae dying was the worst!!! I cried for 2 hours and tear up every time I think about it. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |
So I read the first one and I continued to the second one because I said so, just as I will the third. However, I can't see how the books continue past a third of it doesn't improve. I rarely will continue a read if I dislike the protagonist. I mean, that's the point of a book. The reader connects with and like the protagonist enough to keep escaping to their world for some fun. Zoey is not one of those protagonists. She is self absorbed and is always complaining about her poor self, perfect looks, amazing abilities that no not her of her age has ever been recorded having, and how she is so not a slut/hag/ho. I read that the mother who wrote these books let her daughter be intricately involved to help her know how teenagers speak. If this is how they speak in her state then thank god I'm not there. I can say to anyone who reads this and fears the worse for the future, no all teens are this shallow, self absorbed, and idiotic. They have brains aren't trying to give or get blow jobs, aren't drinking like moronic drunks or any of the other terrible "insight" that was given.

Ok, so now that I'm off that soap box I can get on another. Since I think this protagonist should be killed off and replaced, I have to find some redeemable quality. In that, there is the plot, sub characters, and some of the conflicts. Although the outcome of each conflict is highly predictable, they are some actual conflicts that teens face. The supporting characters are good, and so (spoiler) I was pissed when Stevie was killed. Easily one of the best if not the best characters and she's taken and yet the worst parents of the year are there, the high/drunk/only improving because he's imprinted (so forced improvement) boyfriend is there...these are terrible characters who should have been dealt with in book one. A simple car accident to kill them all would have been nice and proven that the writer saw the error of her ways but like my run on sentence....she didn't stop..... ( )
  jessica_reads | Mar 24, 2015 |
I just finished reading Betrayed. Betrayed is the second book in the House Of Night Series. Human high school kids are disappearing. They are later discovered dead. Their deaths are made to look like vampyres are responsible. Can Zoey and her group figure out what’s happening and stop it before it’s too late? Are they strong enough to do so while dealing with the loss of someone close to them?

I really love this series. This isn’t the first time I’ve read this book. I haven’t read the last few books in the series though so I’m re-reading this series to refresh my memory. One of the things I love most about this book, and the entire series, is the fact that the characters are real. They all have real problems they go through. They aren’t characters you see in a lot of places that just happen to have all the money they need at exactly the right time. They experience hardships just like everybody else.

There wasn’t really a whole lot I liked about this book. There are some consistency issues. They are very minor though and you’d have to be really paying attention to spot them out. They are overlookable in the grand scheme of the whole picture though. I wonder sometimes if they are really inconsistencies or if it’s just me being a little overly picky about small details.

If fully recommend this book, and the series in general, to anybody who is interested in paranormal books. It is mainly for young adult audiences, but I don’t think it matters who read it. If a reader likes it, they like it. I do recommend that they read the series in order though. It’s less confusing that way. I’m so honored to have read this book. ( )
  WillowStarSerenity | Dec 14, 2014 |
Got this out at the library this morning, started reading it at midday and finished it three hours later. I really needed something to concentrate on before my dentist appointment and this was a perfect distraction.

I enjoyed Betrayed much more than [Book:Marked], it flowed more easily and Zooey was less annoying. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
We would like to dedicate this book to (Aunty) Sherry Rowland, friend and publicist. Thank you, Sher, for taking care of us. Even when we're high maintenance and annoying (and especially when you give us "treaties"). We heart you very much.
"New kid, check it out," Shaunee said as she slid into the big booth-like bench we always claim as ours for every school meal served in the dining hall (translation: high-class school cafeteria).

Book 2 of the 'House of Night' series -- Zoey Redbird has an unusual life. Just recently she was Marked by Nyx, the goddess of night, to become a vampyre. But Nyx has also given Zoey unprecedented gifts that set her apart from every other vampyre before her. Already struggling to adapt to her new world, she realizes that something isn't quite right at the school, but the one person she should be able to trust the most seems to be the greatest danger.

Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She's come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey's old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:29 -0400)

After settling in at the House of Night and becoming more comfortable with her vast powers, fledgling vampire Zoey Redbird faces a horrible crisis as human teenagers are becoming victims of a wave of murders and the House of Night becomes the prime suspect.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,872,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible