Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) by PC Cast

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by PC Cast, Kristin Cast

Member:sidhevicious
Title:Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2)
Authors:PC Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Vampire

Betrayed by P. C. Cast

English (109)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
So I read the first one and I continued to the second one because I said so, just as I will the third. However, I can't see how the books continue past a third of it doesn't improve. I rarely will continue a read if I dislike the protagonist. I mean, that's the point of a book. The reader connects with and like the protagonist enough to keep escaping to their world for some fun. Zoey is not one of those protagonists. She is self absorbed and is always complaining about her poor self, perfect looks, amazing abilities that no not her of her age has ever been recorded having, and how she is so not a slut/hag/ho. I read that the mother who wrote these books let her daughter be intricately involved to help her know how teenagers speak. If this is how they speak in her state then thank god I'm not there. I can say to anyone who reads this and fears the worse for the future, no all teens are this shallow, self absorbed, and idiotic. They have brains aren't trying to give or get blow jobs, aren't drinking like moronic drunks or any of the other terrible "insight" that was given.

Ok, so now that I'm off that soap box I can get on another. Since I think this protagonist should be killed off and replaced, I have to find some redeemable quality. In that, there is the plot, sub characters, and some of the conflicts. Although the outcome of each conflict is highly predictable, they are some actual conflicts that teens face. The supporting characters are good, and so (spoiler) I was pissed when Stevie was killed. Easily one of the best if not the best characters and she's taken and yet the worst parents of the year are there, the high/drunk/only improving because he's imprinted (so forced improvement) boyfriend is there...these are terrible characters who should have been dealt with in book one. A simple car accident to kill them all would have been nice and proven that the writer saw the error of her ways but like my run on sentence....she didn't stop..... ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
I love the world that P.C. and Kristin Cast created, however, I didn't like Marked, their first novel, very much. That being said, I was interesting in a few of the plot points and decided to read Betrayed to see if some of my questions were answered.

The plot, minus Zoey's love life, is interesting. Sadly, the characters are still so bland and one dimensional that I don't really care about it. Her friends are still cliche ridden and the twin stuff might be making be slightly crazy. The villain has potential to be really good though, so I'm interested in seeing how that route turns out...only I don't want to read the next book. Oh well.

I felt like Zoey became everything she hated in Betrayed. In terms of her love life, she blasted her former best friend and Aphrodite for being a hos, yet she cheats on her boyfriend. Sure she feels guilty about it, but it feels so good that she doesn't want to stop.

The situation with her teacher sounds interesting because you can easily tell Loren is evil and will do something messed up to her. But at the same time, Zoey should be able to feel his evil intentions, but doesn't because he is into her. I kind of think Zoey likes all the male attention and forgets about the real problem. Like the plot.

I will say that Heath and Aphrodite are my favourite characters in the novel. Heath is a love sick, addicted, puppy. He wants to be bitten and is developed well enough. Aphrodite grows the most in the novel and over shadows the rest of the characters. I wanted to read more about her than Zoey, which isn't good if Zoey is the main character in this novel.

Like I mentioned before, the plot is interesting. And that's pretty much it. Usually this would be okay, but the execution, the characters (minus Heath and Aphrodite) are annoying and Zoey is still a hardcore Mary Sue who craves male attention. The conversation between Zoey and the bad guy at the end of the novel didn't work for me either. Zoey increases her power, but it still feels forced and too perfect. The book is a bit better than Marked, when it comes to the plot, but it is still really bad.

I do want to see more from Aphrodite and Heath, but I don't think I could read another book in this series.
1 vote pdbkwm | Sep 8, 2014 |
Couldn't put this book down. I was afraid that they would remain one-dimensional, but the characters really start to fill out in this book. HoN #2 didn't disappoint. ( )
  twerkysandwich | Jul 10, 2014 |
Betaqyed is the second book in the house of night series. In this book, Zoey has to make very difficult decitions and she must become a leader inside of the school. Zoey was given the responsibility of being the dark daughters leader and now, she is bringing more ateention to herself than she would have liked.
Although Zoey is a very independent and responsible leader of the dark daughters, Erik Night is her distraction. Erik has caught her eye since she got the house of night. Once Zoey noticed he had an eye for her also, Zoey made a move to make things official.
Things have gottne more complicated between Heath and Zoey. Once she had met with him at the east wall, their imprint hasd begun. Heath calls and texts her 24/7 and makes efforts to "rescue" her from the house of night. Zoey went out one day to get away from drama at school, b ut ended up getting herself into more trouble than she had planned for. Heath saw her. Their imprint was growing stonger by the day and this only made things worse.
But a third guy has Zoey tiptoeing on the edge. Loren Blake, an english and poetry teacher at the house of night. With her soecial mark from the goddess, and special responsibilities of the dark daughters, Loren has had a special eye for Zoey.
Will she risk it all to mae everyone happy or will she loose everything?
  br14jeke | Jun 6, 2014 |
A wonderful sequel to Marked. I really enjoyed this book, even though I saw that ending coming. I thought that Zoey was a little bit out of control in this book. She was bossy and took advantage of her friends, while underestimating them, and the corny language continues, but other than that it was a great book. ( )
  AngelaRenea | May 12, 2014 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
We would like to dedicate this book to (Aunty) Sherry Rowland, friend and publicist. Thank you, Sher, for taking care of us. Even when we're high maintenance and annoying (and especially when you give us "treaties"). We heart you very much.
"New kid, check it out," Shaunee said as she slid into the big booth-like bench we always claim as ours for every school meal served in the dining hall (translation: high-class school cafeteria).

Book 2 of the 'House of Night' series -- Zoey Redbird has an unusual life. Just recently she was Marked by Nyx, the goddess of night, to become a vampyre. But Nyx has also given Zoey unprecedented gifts that set her apart from every other vampyre before her. Already struggling to adapt to her new world, she realizes that something isn't quite right at the school, but the one person she should be able to trust the most seems to be the greatest danger.

Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She's come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey's old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:53 -0400)

After settling in at the House of Night and becoming more comfortable with her vast powers, fledgling vampire Zoey Redbird faces a horrible crisis as human teenagers are becoming victims of a wave of murders and the House of Night becomes the prime suspect.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,739,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible