Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) by PC Cast

Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by PC Cast, Kristin Cast

4,740120989 (3.85)48
Member:sidhevicious
Title:Betrayed (House of Night, Book 2)
Authors:PC Cast
Other authors:Kristin Cast
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (2007), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Keeper Shelf, Young Adult, Urban Fantasy, Vampire

Betrayed by P. C. Cast

English (120)  Dutch (1)  All languages (121)
This is the second in the House of Night series, and the story is as good as the first. We follow Zoey Redbird, fledgling vampire and high priestess in training, as she tries to uncover the reason that local high school football players are disappearing...so close to the vampire school. I found it a little over the top that Zoey has like 3 boys gunning for her, but hey, it's high school and she's obviously a powerful girl, so bring the drama. ( )
  chessakat | Feb 5, 2016 |
Having had an interest in vampire movies for around forty years I thought I would try another story in that genre even though I felt I would probably being comparing it to the Twilight series; which I did initially.

Betrayed is a story aimed at the teenage market and at the risk of being called sexist, I may even venture to add, the female teenage market. It was a bit slow to begin with although that may have also been attributed to my bias toward the Twilight books/movies. However, Betrayed was worth its purchase price and certainly not a book I would give away. I did, however, feel betrayed by the ending, which I guess is a great way to finish a story as the reader wants more. In this case more in the House of Night series written by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast (http://www.maryse.net/reading-order-guide/pc-cast-house-of-night-series-reading-...).

More information regarding the House of Night series can be found at http://www.houseofnightseries.com/

Kudos must also be given to Edwina Wren who read the Bolinda audio edition. An Australian who lives in Melbourne, Edwina has worked in theatre, film and as a voice over artist for both radio and animation. Included in her credits is Sylvia, by Bryce Courtenay. Edwina is one of the few audio readers who are able to create voices for her characters and still slip into the narrator’s voice as the story requires.

Find out more about Edwina at https://fe.bolindadigital.com/wldcs_bol_fo/b2i/performerPage.html?fromPage=mainPage&b2bSite=1104&performer=206538

In 2005 Edwina was awarded the Rising Star Award at Bolinda Audio.
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
I don't know why I kept putting off reading this book. I really enjoyed this book. It took me awhile to get into it but once I did I didn't want to stop reading it. Betrayed continues the House of Night series.

Zoe Redbird, Damian, Stevie Rae, Shaunee and Erin (Twins) and Aphrodite return. Zoe is now the leader of the Dark Daughters. Zoe can sense that something is wrong. There is evil in the House of Night and you may be surprised by who it is.

I was surprised by how Zoe's friends have come into the powers. I will be continuing with this series. ( )
  crazy4reading | Dec 25, 2015 |
Zoey is facing the task of completely redeeming and rebuilding the Dark Daughters into a new, reformed organisation. A difficult task for her at the best of times – but with boys from her old school going missing, police suspecting vampires and three guys vying for her attention, Zoey has a lot of distractions.

Before we begin the review, I must remind everyone that my suffering through this series is the fault of Cyna and Mavrynthia and Merriska. I cannot even remember how they convinced me to go along with this torturous read – but in the name of some partial justice I think everyone should remind Cyna that she’s only read the first book of the Fallen Series and really really needs to read the rest.

Ok, let us start positively. Yes, I actually can start positively on this book (well, in relative terms). I do appreciate that an effort has been made in this book to make Aphrodite less of a complete avatar of awfulness (by giving her parents who are complete avatars of awfulness). There’s also a toning down of the all consuming slut shaming of the last book – certainly not a removal of it by any stretch, but a definite reduction. There was also a half-decent attempt at an emotional death scene

I’m not saying any of these are good, because they’re really not and in any other book I would bite off my fingers before saying anything positive about these things, but Marked set the bar so damn low that exceeding my expectations is pretty damn easy to do. Kind of how falling in a compost heap feels more like a warm, soft landing after having swum through a toxic cess pool.

The first complaint I have about this book is the glaring void where the plot needs to be. I have sat for 10 minutes trying to figure out what happened and come up empty time and again. Some guys disappear but she watches that on the news, that’s hardly a plot point. She just kind of wanders around not doing a whole lot until we have some action hastily tacked on the end.

I suppose, in theory, the reformation of the Dark Daughters, the super club of the House of Night is the plot. But it’s not only completely lacking in any kind of substance, but it’s also comically awful.

First of all she does a whole lot of research to come up with the genius idea of a student council. No, really, that’s her master plan that actually requires research on her part which would be sad to begin with. But it gets worse – because she also decides she hates how cliquish the Dark Daughters was under Aphrodite so she’s totally going to make it different no – by making 6 of the 7 council members her, her friends and her boyfriend. Marvel at this for a moment, to remove the cliquishness of the Dark Daughters she decides to replace Aphrodite’s friends with all of her own friends. Yes, Zoey lacks even the slightest sense of self-awareness.

But it gets even worse! Because she decides that they will also have a code of conduct to uphold virtues based on the 5 elements (fire, air, earth, water and spirit). Ok I think this could work – personally I think codes of conduct should be based on virtues you want to uphold rather than whether they make a neat set, but I can see, say, courage or passion for fire, tenacity and steadfastness for Earth or…

….ha! Nope, she’s going by the first letters. Seriously, it’s “authenticity” for air and “faith” for fire. Her meaningful virtue system doesn’t even work in another language. It’s also completely that vague – so all the Dark Daughters now have to be “authentic” whatever that actually means – as well as “sincere” for spirit (which I kind of think is just double dipping the same virtue).

To make this nonsense even more galling is the way everyone treats her like she’s some incredible, amazing genius for coming up with this basic, hollow, empty nonsense. No, really, one character even thinks this amazing non-idea is so impressive that she actually steals it. It’s like copying of a 10 year old for your dissertation. It’s depressing and it’s classic Mary Sueness – the protagonist comes up with the weakest, most pathetic non-idea and everyone fawns over it like it’s utter genius. She literally “sweated for weeks” over these ideas.

On top of this non-idea we have the love triangle – well, square.

I’m not a fan of a love triangle in any book but in this book it’s expressly galling to have the protagonist have 3 separate love interests when so much of this series to date is dedicated to saying what dirty nasty jezebels sexual women are and how all legs must be firmly cemented together in fear of ho-dom. It’s gross hypocrisy to present female sexuality in such a terrible fashion, attacking women constantly as “sluts” and “hos” and then have your protagonist rack up three hot guys to follow her around.

And each relationship is problematic. Sexy guy 1 is the hot teacher who who is hot and quotes poetry while getting all handsy with her. She gets all frustrated that he almost kisses her but doesn’t, never mind the actual boyfriend she has – or that he’s a teacher. The fact that he’s a teacher trying to get it on with a 16 year old is barley even touched upon – he’s just a hot guy and everyone may now drool, never mind power difference or abuse of position. Here’s one time when we can start yelling “shame” and everyone’s silent on the issue

Then there’s the ex-boyfriend human who she regards with constant contempt. She will occasionally mention that he’s cute, but every other word she has for him is contemptuous. Of course, the reason why he wants her so much is because he is magically compelled by her vampire-yness. His free will is completely compromised, he is addicted to her and she can literally magically stalk him. Again, there is precious little attempt to address the abusive nature of this relationship, instead it’s just a conflict because poor poor Zoey doesn’t know who to choose, like it’s her complicated love life rather than abuse.

The final love interest is Eirik. He’s pretty and he does Shakespearean monologues. This is it. There are manikins with more personality. It says a lot that his lack of personality stands out next to the rest of the characters – because no-one is developed. Her enemies are terribad awful. Her friends are characterless sycophants (two of them with the same personality who call each other “twin”). It’s amazing that Eirik can have even less personality than these hollow caricatures

Read More ( )
1 vote FangsfortheFantasy | Oct 30, 2015 |
I’ve read the first eight books in this series years ago, and I enjoyed the first few of them. This time around I’m not liking them as much. I actually hated Marked, but Betrayed wasn’t as bad.

I had some problems with this books. There was a lot of slut shaming and some other things that really bothered me. The characters just say some things that I wish they wouldn’t. I know they wrote it that way because it’s supposed to be how teenagers talk, and I suppose some do talk like that, but it really annoyed me.

I am about to start re-reading the third book, Chosen. Hopefully I enjoy it. I just don’t know what to expect with these books. Going into Marked I thought I would like it, and I didn’t. Going into Betrayed I thought I would hate it, and I ended up thinking it was okay. So who knows what will happen with Chosen. Maybe it will be the first in the series that doesn’t lose stars. The first few books for me were three stars the first time I read them. They aren’t any more. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | May 26, 2015 |

P. C. Castprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cast, Kristinmain authorall editionsconfirmed
We would like to dedicate this book to (Aunty) Sherry Rowland, friend and publicist. Thank you, Sher, for taking care of us. Even when we're high maintenance and annoying (and especially when you give us "treaties"). We heart you very much.
"New kid, check it out," Shaunee said as she slid into the big booth-like bench we always claim as ours for every school meal served in the dining hall (translation: high-class school cafeteria).

Book 2 of the 'House of Night' series -- Zoey Redbird has an unusual life. Just recently she was Marked by Nyx, the goddess of night, to become a vampyre. But Nyx has also given Zoey unprecedented gifts that set her apart from every other vampyre before her. Already struggling to adapt to her new world, she realizes that something isn't quite right at the school, but the one person she should be able to trust the most seems to be the greatest danger.

Fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird has managed to settle in at the House of Night.  She's come to terms with the vast powers the vampyre goddess, Nyx, has given her, and is getting a handle on being the new Leader of the Dark Daughters. Best of all, Zoey finally feels like she belongs--like she really fits in. She actually has a boyfriend…or two. Then the unthinkable happens: Human teenagers are being killed, and all the evidence points to the House of Night. While danger stalks the humans from Zoey's old life, she begins to realize that the very powers that make her so unique might also threaten those she loves. Then, when she needs her new friends the most, death strikes the House of Night, and Zoey must find the courage to face a betrayal that could break her heart, her soul, and jeopardize the very fabric of her world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:29 -0400)

After settling in at the House of Night and becoming more comfortable with her vast powers, fledgling vampire Zoey Redbird faces a horrible crisis as human teenagers are becoming victims of a wave of murders and the House of Night becomes the prime suspect.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,049,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible