The Bent Twig by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

The Bent Twig (original 1915; edition 1915)

by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (Author)

Member:sibyx
Title:The Bent Twig
Authors:Dorothy Canfield Fisher (Author)
Info:NY, Grosset and Dunlap
Collections:Your library, Currently reading

The Bent Twig by Dorothy Canfield Fisher (1915)

Intellectual, socially progressive family produces a daughter who craves lifestyle wherein which things are magically done for her without thinking about the work that is put into the task. The narrative--which drags somewhat in the middle sections--focuses on the daughter's expectations of life and her definition of living.

Quite good--if not for the slow middle section, I would have given it 5 stars. ( )
  owlswelove | Nov 29, 2010 |
posted by me on goodreads:

I am really enjoying, no other word for it, Canfield's exploration of educational methods. As w...more I'm halfway through this wonderful novel, my first by this author, and thought I'd see what other readers had written about it on goodreads. Surprisingly to me, one mentioned its Montessori and socialist underpinnings...certainly it's a more modern (I hesitate to use that word, though) view of life, society, than I would have thought even existed in 1916, the year this book was published.

I am really enjoying, no other word for it, Canfield's exploration of educational methods. As well, her descriptions of a rich home life, of a righteously angry nine-year-old, oh, of lots of different things, are so completely enjoyable to read and ponder.

An interesting tag from Amazon for this book is Faculty Families. And that's true - the father of the family is a professor at a state university ( )
  SaintSunniva | May 22, 2010 |
Like most happy childhoods, Sylvia's early years lay back of her in a long, cheerful procession of featureless days, the outlines of which were blurred into one shimmering glow by the very radiance of their sunshine.

This is a reproduction of a book published before 1923. This book may have occasional imperfections such as missing or blurred pages, poor pictures, errant marks, etc. that were either part of the original artifact, or were introduced by the scanning process. We believe this work is culturally important, and despite the imperfections, have elected to bring it back into print as part of our continuing commitment to the preservation of printed works worldwide. We appreciate your understanding of the imperfections in the preservation process, and hope you enjoy this valuable book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:25 -0400)

10 wanted3 free
1 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,634,360 books! | Top bar: Always visible