Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4) by…

Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4) (edition 2009)

by Jeff Kinney

Member:izzyizzy
Title:Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4)
Authors:Jeff Kinney
Info:Amulet Books (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 224 pages

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

English (112)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (115)
This realistic fiction story is about a boy named Greg. Greg is on summer vacation and all he wants to do is draw the blinds and play video games. This works out perfectly temporarily, however Greg's mother has other plans for his summer. There are a lot of twists and turns that the mom's plans bring, like his mom getting left at the gas station, his dog getting run over by his grandpa.Although Greg was quite convinced he wouldn't enjoy the activities at all, looking back over his summer he decides it was a pretty good one. ( )
  sommerkirk | Apr 21, 2015 |
This is a cute book about Greg. Greg is out of school for the summer, but he has vowed to stay inside for the whole time. Every time he leaves the house, something bad happens. (All thanks to Greg and his attitude of course). This book goes through all of Greg's adventures that he has during the summer. He goes to the town pool, has a fight with his friends, starts a lawn business, gets a dog, talks to a girl, goes to the beach, calls the cops, and so much more. There is no stopping Greg on the rampage of summer. But although his summer is so horrible, at the end of the book he looks back and realizes that it wasn't so bad after all. Genre: realistic fiction because this could easily be based off of someones life, but I don't think it is. ( )
  amassingale | Apr 7, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. The first reason I liked the story was because I thought writing was very engaging. Throughout the story the events that were happening to Greg were very entertaining and kept me easily engaged. During each embarrassing event I was pulled into the story, and wanted to keep reading. For example, I was interested in how Greg was going to be able to pay back the money for all of the smoothies he had to drink at the country club, so that helped to fuel my continuation of the story. On top of the writing being engaging I thought it also was very well paced. The story also always had an exciting event happening, and this helped to keep the story moving. Whether Greg was trying to get the attention of his lifeguard crush, or go on a miserable vacation with his best friend, Rowley, Greg was always doing something interesting. I also thought the language added to the flow of the story. The language was very clear, and this made it easy to read. Having clear language allows for the reader to read fluidly, and without must hesitation. Allowing for this fluency when reading is what helps the story to continue on a steady pace. Another reason I liked the story was because of the main character Greg. In my opinion Greg was a very believable character. His reaction to each new situation is how I think other children would react to situations. He often gets embarrassed by his parents, and these types of reactions are often how other children would react, so they can relate. I thought Greg was a very relatable character, which was also why I liked him so much. For example, Greg is hoping for his birthday to magical, filled with wonderful gifts, but he ends up very disappointed. Greg was hoping to get a pet dog or money, but instead he gets a Ladybug which only makes calls to his house and 911. I think many kids would be able to relate to getting gifts that they did not necessarily want, and being disappointed by this. Having such a relatable main character allows readers to get pulled into the story. When a reader can see themselves in the story it makes the book much more interesting, and helps to keep the reader engaged. A last reason I liked the story was because I thought the illustrations were able to really enhance the story. There were little illustrations that were placed throughout the story that really helped to keep the reader engaged. They were cartoons that helped explain the events that were occurring in the story. Each illustration helped the reader to further visualize what was happening in the story, and this led to an enhancement of the story. It was nice to have things described in the written text, but then be further explained with a picture. I think the overall message of the story is that you cannot let a few bad situations bring down your outlook on life. Throughout the story Greg does go through some difficult situations, but he does not allow this to completely overcome him. He does get discouraged in the book, but he still continues to try and make situations better for himself. ( )
  kmetca1 | Apr 2, 2015 |
series- 4th grade. 3rd book in the series
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
My brother use to read this series a lot and I enjoyed it took. I think these books are really great for those kids that don't really like to normally read, but the pictures and the way that the words are spread it out make it a lot easier and fun.
  Madison_DeWeerdt | Dec 9, 2014 |
Kinney has an ear — and eye — for the middle school milieu. For adult readers, he vividly brings back the oceanic feeling of helplessness that swamps most of us at that age when you're not in control of your weirdly changing body, or even what you're allowed to eat or read.

Jeff Kinneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Majoor, HannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Jonathan.
For me, summer vacation is basically a three-month guilt trip.
"I asked Mom to take me back to Bombshells Beauty Salon again today, even though I didn't really need a haircut. I just felt like catching up on the town gossip."
OK, so maybe I AM lazy, but it's not really my fault.

It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed “indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor activities and “family togetherness.”

Whose vision will win out? Or will a new addition to the Heffley family change everything?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:47 -0400)

In the latest diary of middle-schooler Greg Heffley, he records his attempts to spend his summer vacation sensibly indoors playing video games and watching television, despite his mother's other ideas.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014330495X, 0670074950, 0141335459

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,176,414 books! | Top bar: Always visible