Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4) by…

Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4) (edition 2009)

by Jeff Kinney

Member:izzyizzy
Title:Dog Days (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 4)
Authors:Jeff Kinney
Info:Amulet Books (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 224 pages

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney

English (118)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (121)
Hilarious!!! ( )
  umbiela | Feb 16, 2016 |
Another winner in the series. Greg Heffley suffers hilariously thorugh a summer where he attempts to start a yard service, gets a dog named Sweetie, tries to make moves on an older female lifeguard, and is briefly estranged from his best friend Rowley AND his dad. The cartoons here seem even funnier than previous volumes. Wimpy fans will love it. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I have many kids clamoring for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books so I wanted to see what they were all about. I found it entertaining and I can see why the kids can relate to Greg and his life. Curricular connections could be to have the kids do a creative writing activity in the form of a humorous journal about something that happened in their life, complete with illustrations! ( )
  JillStephens | Jan 28, 2016 |
If you've never read the Wimpy Kid series, it's about Greg Heffley, a lazy middle-schooler who is constantly being bullied by his older brother Rodrick. Greg's little brother Manny pesters him and gets away with it. His friend, Rowley, is a weird kid, but always gets it good with the girls while Greg is unpopular with them. Greg strives to become famous but is consistently a failure.
The other three books in the series are Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw. Dog Days is the fourth in the series. There is also a Diary of a Wimpy Kid Do-It-Yourself Book.
In Dog Days, Greg expects to stay home all summer and do nothing but play video games. His mom urges him to try to get out of the house, but he doesn't buy it because he's learnt from experience.
When he and Rowley go to Rowley's country club, they bring a girl, Trista, along, but then she starts talking to some lifeguard and ignores the people who took her there. One unlucky day, Rowley's dad shows up at Greg's house and expects Greg to pay for all the smoothies he's ordered at the country club. Greg and Rowley start a lawn mowing business. A customer shows up and Greg gives her bad quality lawn mowing. Then his dad comes and finishes the job, but the lady stiffs Greg.
All these unfortunate events and more make him want to stay home for the rest of the summer. But as with all his plans, everything goes exactly the opposite.
I love the characters of Greg, Manny and Rodrick because Manny and Rodrick always pick on Greg, and he manages to turn it into a big show. It makes the book very entertaining. Greg's parents are unique because if they do something that involves any of the brothers they can never do what they planned. Rowley is irritating because he always gets his way.
The book is hugely funny and a great page-turner. You just know that in the next page Greg's going to have an unfortunate event, like when Rodrick tricks him into going off the high platform into the swimming pool. The print is especially funny because it gives you the perspective of a 13-year-old's writing.
If you like a hilarious story about a really dorky teenager and his bummed out life, go read this book. ( )
  christian1010 | Dec 15, 2015 |
The 6th grade students I observe recommended this book to me. I noticed that the kids who typically turned away from reading still LOVED Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series. The way it is written is lighthearted and fun.
  emilyauer | Nov 17, 2015 |
Kinney has an ear — and eye — for the middle school milieu. For adult readers, he vividly brings back the oceanic feeling of helplessness that swamps most of us at that age when you're not in control of your weirdly changing body, or even what you're allowed to eat or read.

Jeff Kinneyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Majoor, HannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
to Jonathan.
For me, summer vacation is basically a three-month guilt trip.
"I asked Mom to take me back to Bombshells Beauty Salon again today, even though I didn't really need a haircut. I just felt like catching up on the town gossip."
OK, so maybe I AM lazy, but it's not really my fault.

It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed “indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor activities and “family togetherness.”

Whose vision will win out? Or will a new addition to the Heffley family change everything?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

In the latest diary of middle-schooler Greg Heffley, he records his attempts to spend his summer vacation sensibly indoors playing video games and watching television, despite his mother's other ideas.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014330495X, 0670074950, 0141335459

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible