Democracy in America by Alexis de…

Democracy in America (1836)

by Alexis de Tocqueville

English (19)  Spanish (2)  All languages (21)
There are so many ways to consider this book, I almost don't know where to start. First, one can think of it as a rich portrait of the United States in the 1830s, with a focus on political life but with social, cultural, and economic life examined as well. One can also appreciate this book as a view of the US from the perspective of a foreigner. Tocqueville flatters Americans quite often in this book, but he also makes numerous comparisons to European nations and points out what he sees as the fundamental differences in systems of government. One can also judge how well this work has stood the test of time and to what extent it still describes America today. I would argue that while many would like to say the country Tocqueville depicts is still in existence, he would also find the US much changed. The observances made about wealth, shared power with the people, and vast ambitions are starting to show their age - to the extent that Tocqueville might recognize different forces at work than those he focused on in this work. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Nov 25, 2017 |
In a course I took the professor took about this book and it sounded very interesting. But when I finally read the book, it was hard to follow and I realized I liked the professor's explanation of the book better. ( )
  KamGeb | Oct 7, 2017 |
REMINDER OF MY WEEKLY RADIO SHOW AT ROLLINS COLLEGE IN 1964 ( )
  Brightman | Sep 14, 2017 |
First listened on Hoopla (LPL) 3-7/17 Narrator John Pruden published by Tantor Audio 34 hr 30 min ( )
  keithhamblen | Aug 14, 2017 |
This is not for the faint of heart. But it is amazing that something written so long ago (and by one so young!) could still have the ring of truth to it. I'll admit, our book club voted to read it then mostly complained about its length, so we divided it up and each person was responsible for about 100 pages. Several of us got so interested that we read more than our assignment, but none of us (myself included) actually read the entire book. I'm thinking, now (writing this on Nov 5, 2008) that I should persevere and read it all. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 12, 2016 |

Ryan, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, John C.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winthrop, DelbaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winthrop, DelbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Among the new things that attracted my attention during my stay in the United States, none struck me more forcefully than the equality of conditions.
The human mind invents things more easily than words; that is why many improper terms and inadequate expressions gain currency.
The Constitution of the United States is like one of those beautiful creations of human diligence which give their inventors glory and riches but remains sterile in other hands.
How wonderful is the position of the New World, where man has as yet no enemies but himself.
[The oppression] would be akin to parental authority if only it had the same goal of preparing children for adulthood; but instead its sole objective is to consign them to everlasting kindergarten; it wants the populace to enjoy themselves, as long as they never have any dreams beyond their own entertainment.
Having seized each individual in turn in its firm grip and molded him into its pattern, the regime extends its embrace to encompass the entire society, blanketing its surface with an intricate web of trivial regulations, comprehensive and regimented, from which the most creative minds and resolute souls cannot manage to extricate themselves away from the collective; rather than breaking the willpower, it softens, bends, and channels it; instead of compelling action, it endlessly restricts it; instead of destroying, it impedes formation; instead of tyrannizing, it prods, manipulates, conditions, discourages, restrains, and brainwashes the whole nation into nothing more than a herd of tractable, hard-working livestock of which the regime is the herdsman.
The ISBN 0679728252 is used in LT's records both for the complete version of de Tocqueville's work and for the first volume of it.

Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-59) came to America in 1831 to see what a great republic was like. What struck him most was the country's equality of conditions, its democracy. The book he wrote on his return to France, Democracy in America, is both the best ever written on democracy and the best ever written on America. It remains the most often quoted book about the United States, not only because it has something to interest and please everyone, but also because it has something to teach everyone.

When it was published in 2000, Harvey Mansfield and Delba Winthrop's new translation of Democracy in America—only the third since the original two-volume work was published in 1835 and 1840—was lauded in all quarters as the finest and most definitive edition of Tocqueville's classic thus far. Mansfield and Winthrop have restored the nuances of Tocqueville's language, with the expressed goal "to convey Tocqueville's thought as he held it rather than to restate it in comparable terms of today." The result is a translation with minimal interpretation, but with impeccable annotations of unfamiliar references and a masterful introduction placing the work and its author in the broader contexts of political philosophy and statesmanship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:45 -0400)

The Edwin Cannan text of the 5th edition Donated by Miss H.E. Archdale, Headmistress 1958-1970. 1991(ABB44361)

Library of America Paperback Classics

2 editions of this book were published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Editions: 1598531514, 1598531522

Liberty Fund, Inc

2 editions of this book were published by Liberty Fund, Inc.

Editions: 0865977194, 0865977240

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,124,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible