Democracy in America by J.P. MAYER (INTRO…

Democracy in America (original 1836; edition 1994)

by J.P. MAYER (INTRO ALEXIS DE TOCQUEVILLE

Member:barterbadger
Title:Democracy in America
Authors:J.P. MAYER (INTRO ALEXIS DE TOCQUEVILLE
Info:FONTANA PRESS (1994), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 800 pages

Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville (Author) (1836)

What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe (wildbill)
    wildbill: This volume of the Oxford History of the United States is an excellent history of the period of de Tocqueville's visit to America.
    Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis (StarryNightElf)
    American Notes by Charles Dickens (agmlll)

English (14)  Spanish (1)  All languages (15)
Westvaco is the West Virginia Paper Co., makers of fine papers. For 47 years, they did a special Christmas book each year that they distributed to their customers, all featuring works from American history or literature. They all include a decorated slipcover, fine endpapers and many have embossed images on the book covers. Some feature gilt edges and silk ribbon bookmarks. Although they had a limited press run the number is not stated nor are they numbered or signed.
  SteveJohnson | Mar 8, 2014 |
This is the one book that I read in the core that I would reccomend to anybody. ( )
  kateminasian | Sep 23, 2013 |
The book's basis was a nine month visit to America by De Tocqueville in 1831, ostensibly to study America's prison system. It was an interesting time to visit America, half-way between the establishment of the constitution and the Civil War. In the course of the visit he met former president John Quincy Adams, then incumbent Andrew Jackson, Senator Daniel Webster and Sam Houston among others. He traveled the length and breath of a country much smaller than what we see on the map now. Before the Mexican-American War and Western expansion and he visited both North and South: New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans.

The book is labelled as both American History and Political Science. De Tocqueville said the first volume was more about America, the second about democracy. The introduction by Mansfield and Winthrop, the translators and editors of the edition I read, called it both the best book on America and the best on democracy. That despite it being written by a French aristocrat--at least by birth although the introduction describes him as a democrat and liberal by conviction.

De Tocqueville says in his own introduction he did not mean to write a "panegyric" to America. He's critical, at times presciently so, of America and democracy both, and doesn't pull his punches about how slavery and racism might pull apart the country. He doesn't hesitate to call slavery "evil" and his depiction of the plight of Native Americans is both insightful and heartbreaking. Surprisingly so, not what I expected from a Westerner writing in the 19th Century. Yet despite some sharp criticisms--and it being written by an outsider, a foreigner, the book has been embraced and quoted by Americans both from the Left and Right. It's said to be commonly assigned in political science courses and I wish some excerpts had been assigned in mine, instead of the execrable People's History by Zinn. De Tocqueville in the end strikes me as much more credible, still relevant and much more thought-provoking about democracy and its faultlines--especially the "tyranny of the majority."

That's not to say this makes for easy reading. At times I considered giving up on it, slapping a two star rating as too tedious to read. Parts are a slog. I suggest anyone tackling this buy a paperback copy they don't feel hesitant to mark up and highlight and that they take it in short doses. This isn't one of those light, entertaining books. This isn't dessert or junk food. It's a meaty dish; one you chew on and parts can be hard to digest. But the man is brilliant. And it's surprising to me how 200 years later so much resonates in this book and is relevant to contemporary America and its politics. Well worth the effort to anyone interested in democracy or America.

At least the first volume is, which definitely deserves five stars for amazing. That first volume was a popular bestseller in its day, the second volume less so, and I can understand that. As De Tocqueville noted, the first book is more on America, and is grounded in a lot of telling observations. Not that it's absent in this second book, but the second volume is a lot more theoretical, and I think a lot of its points are better made in the first part. I also admit I'm not inclined to accept one of his major themes in this second volume, that religion is essential to democracy. And he seems very much off the mark in his contention that American democracy doesn't produce great literature or advances in the sciences. Admittedly, in 1835 when this second volume was published, about the only well-known American writers of fiction were James Fenimore Cooper and Washington Irving. I can't say I much agree with his criticisms of individualism either. That's not to say reading both parts wasn't worthwhile, but less essential I feel than the amazing first volume. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jul 3, 2012 |
Offers an insightful analysis of our political system in the abstract. Many of the social particulars he writes about have obviously changed with time. ( )
  librarianbryan | Apr 20, 2012 |
Democracy In America by Alexis de Toqueville
Why I picked this book up: I was interested in reading an educated man’s thoughts about America and how he saw it functioning, what he thought of the inner workings in his opinion as he came over from France and toured around talking to people from America.

Why I finished this book: I was truly hooked from the very begging of this book. I loved it! I wish I had read much more political science, economics, government, etc. when I was growing up but once I found this book it knocked my socks off! It was very fun to read. I think he nailed a whole lot right on the nose and I took pride in how he described America in general and how different it was/is from dictatorships and oligarchies and tyrannical oligarchies. It really opened my eyes and was SO fun to read.

Rating: I’d give this book a 4.5 star rating out of 5 stars. It was a new experience for me and am happy I read it. ( )
  DrT | Apr 27, 2011 |

Ryan, AlanIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Spencer, John C.Prefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winthrop, DelbaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winthrop, DelbaEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Among the new things that attracted my attention during my stay in the United States, none struck me more forcefully than the equality of conditions.
The human mind invents things more easily than words; that is why many improper terms and inadequate expressions gain currency.
The Constitution of the United States is like one of those beautiful creations of human diligence which give their inventors glory and riches but remains sterile in other hands.
How wonderful is the position of the New World, where man has as yet no enemies but himself.
[The oppression] would be akin to parental authority if only it had the same goal of preparing children for adulthood; but instead its sole objective is to consign them to everlasting kindergarten; it wants the populace to enjoy themselves, as long as they never have any dreams beyond their own entertainment.
Having seized each individual in turn in its firm grip and molded him into its pattern, the regime extends its embrace to encompass the entire society, blanketing its surface with an intricate web of trivial regulations, comprehensive and regimented, from which the most creative minds and resolute souls cannot manage to extricate themselves away from the collective; rather than breaking the willpower, it softens, bends, and channels it; instead of compelling action, it endlessly restricts it; instead of destroying, it impedes formation; instead of tyrannizing, it prods, manipulates, conditions, discourages, restrains, and brainwashes the whole nation into nothing more than a herd of tractable, hard-working livestock of which the regime is the herdsman.

Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-59) came to America in 1831 to see what a great republic was like. What struck him most was the country's equality of conditions, its democracy. The book he wrote on his return to France, Democracy in America, is both the best ever written on democracy and the best ever written on America. It remains the most often quoted book about the United States, not only because it has something to interest and please everyone, but also because it has something to teach everyone.

When it was published in 2000, Harvey Mansfield and Delba Winthrop's new translation of Democracy in America—only the third since the original two-volume work was published in 1835 and 1840—was lauded in all quarters as the finest and most definitive edition of Tocqueville's classic thus far. Mansfield and Winthrop have restored the nuances of Tocqueville's language, with the expressed goal "to convey Tocqueville's thought as he held it rather than to restate it in comparable terms of today." The result is a translation with minimal interpretation, but with impeccable annotations of unfamiliar references and a masterful introduction placing the work and its author in the broader contexts of political philosophy and statesmanship.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:27 -0400)

The Edwin Cannan text of the 5th edition Donated by Miss H.E. Archdale, Headmistress 1958-1970. 1991(ABB44361)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

The Library of America

An edition of this book was published by The Library of America.

Liberty Fund, Inc

Two editions of this book were published by Liberty Fund, Inc.

Editions: 0865977194, 0865977240

Library of America Paperback Classics

Two editions of this book were published by Library of America Paperback Classics.

Editions: 1598531514, 1598531522

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Solis Press

An edition of this book was published by Solis Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,416 books! | Top bar: Always visible