Albert Einstein (Giants of Science) by…

Albert Einstein (Giants of Science) (edition 2009)

by Kathleen Krull (Author)

This biography profiles the life and times of German-born theoretical physicist Albert Einstein, whose contributions to the field earned him a Nobel Prize.
Member:Fusionbk
Title:Albert Einstein (Giants of Science)
Authors:Kathleen Krull (Author)
Info:Viking Books for Young Readers (2009), 144 pages

Albert Einstein by Kathleen Krull

Albert Einstein’s interest in science was sparked when his father gave him a compass to play with at a young age. He was amazed on how and why it worked. When Einstein went to school, he actually aced his subjects busting the myth that he failed math. His main question that was burning inside of his head was “What would it be like to travel at the speed of light?” When he graduated, he couldn’t find a job. It wasn’t until he started making his famous equations, Marie Curie recommended him. He finally earned all his fame with the special theory of relativity. With anti-semitism on the rise, though, he fled to America and encouraged the president to make the atomic bomb to end WWII. He died shortly after.

This biography of Albert Einstein is very inspiring. It deeply and thoroughly explains Einstein’s life without any boring parts. Although this author has written, in my opinion, one book with lack of interest, she really made this one interesting. It was a nice, short and sweet read. The biography explains all of the ups and downs of Einstein's life. It simply explains all of Einstein’s discoveries. I should check out some other books by this author! This book gets a 5 out of 5. ( )
1 vote POsadsky.ELA5 | Jan 5, 2020 |
Einstein is a scientist who has always fascinated me while baffling me with his discoveries. So I was pleased to find a biography written for middle graders that was both entertaining and informative. Kathleen Krull has written about Einstein in a way that makes him understandable both as a human and as a scientist.

The descriptions of his discoveries were clearer than any other I have read but by no means easy to understand. I was intrigued to learn that Einstein was a visual thinker rather than a verbal one. I also enjoyed learning that he never lost his curiosity about the world and had the extreme patience to allow himself to work on a theory for more than thirty years.

I liked learning how many things that are commonplace today wouldn't exist without Einstein's discoveries. I liked learning that he was much better with science than he was with people but disliked his treatment of his wives and children. I liked his devotion to pacifism and his distress that his theory of relativity lead to the development of the atomic bomb.

I enjoyed this biography because it humanized one of the great names in modern science. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 5, 2017 |
Krull's biography of Albert Einstein from the Giants of Science series shows a balanced account of the famous genius' life. While this book features his most popular accomplishments such as The Theory of Relativity and the Photoelectric Effect, Krull's biography takes an honest look at the struggles and challenges behind Einstein's genius.

Einstein had not made any friends in academia as he constantly contended that the research and teaching of the professors he worked with were not progressive enough to solve the current problems of physics. Consequently, when he earned his doctorate, no university wanted to hire him. Also, in light of the Nazi and the Third Reich, the rise of Anti-Semitism affected his contemporaries' view of his work. The book also delves into his personal life - his disconnect with his children and numerous extramarital affairs.

The style and content is engaging and casual, making it an easy read for upper elementary ages 10-12. However, parents and educators may need to be open to discussion should children have questions and concerns about Einstein's personal life, as children are typically sheltered from such issues.

The book concludes beautifully with the impact of Einstein's work, once again well balanced - from the tragic consequences of the atomic bomb to the more recent Large Hadron Collider. The author also provides an extensive bibliography of sources ranging from historical research to other biographies specifically written for young readers. ( )
2 vote elainevbernal | Dec 9, 2011 |
This book is ranged for higher elementary grades. The book is a thirteen chapter book with over 100 pages so it would be something that would take some time for a student to accomplish. I would suggest reading a chapter in class daily. The book goes in detail, in an entertaining way on the biography and scientific accomplishments of Albert Einstein. The book has a few entertaining illustrations. I would recommend this book for teachers teaching more detailed information on a famous scientist to older elementary grades. ( )
5 vote hudshh01 | Oct 15, 2010 |

Kathleen Krullprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kulikov, BorisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Albert Einstein had major bedhead.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,789,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible