The Course of Irish History by T. W. Moody

The Course of Irish History (edition 2001)

by T. W. Moody, F. X. Martin, Dermot Keogh

Member:rsummer
Title:The Course of Irish History
Authors:T. W. Moody
Other authors:F. X. Martin, Dermot Keogh
Info:Roberts Rinehart (2001), Edition: Fourth Edition, Paperback, 544 pages

The Course of Irish History by T. W. Moody (Editor)

As most histories go, the focus is on the political and economical developments over the years and this book does not disappoint; though it should be noted that this history is very readable and approachable to the lay person, as each chapter is written by a different, authoritative author (i.e. Irish history professors who need work). The only problem I had was feeling a little lost in the latter fourth of the book and not having it clarified in a simple statement until a couple of chapters later. Also, it would have been better if the editors had switched the position of chapters 20 & 21, as the way chapter 20 (Northern Ireland 1921-66) was written (and given my lack of understanding of what was going on in that area at that time), I wasn't sure where the 'bigger picture' allegiances were.

All in all, I would recommend the book for someone looking for a comprehensive and readable history of Ireland.
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An excellent overview of the history of Ireland. Each chapter was written by a different author, giving many different perspectives on the history of the country. Provides an excellent starting point for gaps of knowledge in history as much could be considered basic. It all depends on what you know about the history of the country. We don't learn a lot about Ireland over here in the States unless we learn it on our own or take elective classes in college. My focus had always been on very early Ireland. I really had no idea exactly how confusing the situation with Northern Ireland was after partition. Granted, it really never should have been done, but for those who ended up being moved there, a united Ireland would have put Protestants in a country that lived under Catholic laws in terms of things like divorce and abortion--something I never really thought about and as an American I find the idea of abhorrent. I just always assumed Ireland should be one country, a black and white issue. So this book really opened my eyes. ( )
  PirateJenny | Jan 14, 2013 |
Having no background in Irish history this book filled this gap in my education. A good balance of detail and perspective without falling into emotionalism. ( )
  rsummer | Dec 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book very much. The fact that each chapter is written by a different expert makes it enjoyable to read. I also enjoyed seeing the entire chronology of Irish History in the back of the book. ( )
  Tmyers526 | Nov 14, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As expected of a work going into its 5th edition, The Course of Irish History is a fine overview of Irish history. Also, as expected of a work that is an assembly of essays by various authors, there is some inconsistency in level of detail, subjects covered, and point of view. However, except for the last chapter, The Course of Irish History does a remarkable job of covering its topic without obvious gaps. Most of the chapters are quite readable and it is well illustrated, making it generally a pleasure to read and not just a reference work.

For a work with few negatives, I offer the following: 1) It does lack a good map of Ireland to refer to for much of what is presented. There are some maps, but they tend to be either specific to the period of a certain chapter or too general to help with the locations of towns and cities being discussed. 2) Irish words and phrases are occasionally used without definition, and some historical figures and political events are referred to in a shorthand (last name only, for example) that seems inappropriate for an overview. 3) The last chapter differs from all other chapters in the level of detail that is presented. It covers much of the financial details of the financial troubles of the 2000s, provides long lists of persons elected to office (or removed from office) and, generally, just doesn’t seem in line with the overview tone of the other chapters.

These are not major failings, however, and The Course of Irish History is a fine reference for anyone wanting a solid introduction to the scope of the history of Ireland.

Os. ( )
  Osbaldistone | Nov 6, 2012 |

Moody, T. W.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Martin, Francis X.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed
[Dedication to the Fifth Edition]
To the memory of Theo Moody (1907-1984) and Frank X. Martin (1922-2000) in appreciation of their lifetime of work as historians and their pioneering contribution to the academic broadcasting of their subject on television
Preface

The death occurred of Professor Frank X. Martin between the publication of the revised edition of The Course of Irish History in 1994 and the appearance of the 2001 edition.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0853427100, Paperback)

Much Irish history is written as a matter of heroes and leaders, of great personalities and sweeping events. T. W. Moody and F. X. Martin's collection of essays by leading historians offers all those things, but it takes the land itself as its starting point. Ireland, they write, has always been poor because of its ungiving soil; always isolated because of its ring of imposing mountains and steep hills--but always open to invasion from the east across the calm, narrow Irish Sea, because of which, they write, "our present-day laws and institutions have their origins in England." While taking a long view of events, they manage to compress thousands of years of history into this fact-filled, highly readable book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:21 -0400)

BRITISH & IRISH HISTORY. First published over forty years ago and now updated to cover the Celtic Tiger economic boom of the 2000s and subsequent worldwide recession, this new edition of a perennial bestseller interprets Irish history as a whole. Designed and written to be popular and authoritative, critical and balanced, it has been a core text in both Irish and American universities for decades. It has also proven to be an extremely popular book for casual readers with an interest in history and Irish affairs. Considered the definitive history among the Irish themselves, it is an essential text for anyone interested in the history of Ireland.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Course of Irish History, 5th Edition by was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible