The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy…

The Scent of Rain and Lightning

by Nancy Pickard

Recently added bythukpa, lovelypenny, RedQueen, private library, micahmom2002, Gingermama, AmeliaHerring, DC25, agille37

Depressing. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I liked the book overall, although I almost stopped reading halfway through because of one sentence that I thought gave the whole plot away. However, I had read half and decided to push through it anyway. Glad I did because I was wrong. Hopefully the author didnt do this on purpose to throw readers off because some may not push through as I did. The story begins with a man being released from prison for the murder of a girls father and her mother disappeared the same night. The story goes between the past and present and touched on how this tragedy affects many people within the various families. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
Appealing mystery/personal story/coming of age story: The granddaughter of rich ranchers in a tiny town tries to live a normal life even though her parents were killed/disappeared when she was a little girl. After she grows up, she discovers that the man in prison for the crime may not be the real murderer. Nice use of suspense, changing time frames, character revelation and reflection.

(I listened on playaway.) ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Loved the twist at the end, I did not see that coming! Pickard's characters are vivid and easy to identify with, her writing is smooth and carries the story along without relying on overly descriptive prose. She accurately depicts small town dynamics and the pressures that can be brought to bear by the more affluent in the community. ( )
  KEFeeney | Dec 6, 2015 |
With love and appreciation for libraries large and small
Until she was twenty-six, Jody Linder felt suspicious of happiness.

One beautiful summer afternoon, from her bedroom window on the second floor, Jody Linder is unnerved to see her three uncles parking their pickups in front of her parents' house — or what she calls her parents' house, even though Hugh-Jay and Laurie Linder have been gone almost all of Jody's life. "What is this fearsome thing I see?" the young high school English teacher whispers, mimicking Shakespeare. Polished boots, pressed jeans, fresh white shirts, Stetsons — her uncles' suspiciously clean visiting clothes are a disturbing sign.

The three bring shocking news: the man convicted of murdering Jody's father is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. It has been twenty-three years since that stormy night when her father was shot and killed and her mother disappeared, presumed dead. Neither the protective embrace of Jody's uncles nor the safe haven of her grandparents' ranch could erase the pain caused by Billy Crosby on that catastrophic night.

Now Billy Crosby's sentence has been commuted, thanks in large part to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father's innocence. As Jody lives only a few doors down from the Crosbys, she knows that sooner or later she'll come face-to-face with the man who she believes destroyed her family.

What she doesn't expect are the heated exchanges with Collin. Having grown up practically side by side in this very small town, Jody and Collin have had a long history of carefully avoiding each other's eyes. Now Jody discovers that underneath their antagonism is a shared sense of loss that no one else could possibly understand. As she revisits old wounds, startling revelations compel her to uncover the dangerous truth about her family's tragic past.

Engrossing, lyrical, and suspenseful, The Scent of Rain and Lightning captures the essence of small-town America — its heartfelt intimacy and darkest secrets — where through struggle and hardship people still dare to hope for a better future. For Jody Linder, maybe even love.

The man convicted of murdering Jody's father, Billy Crosby, is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. Crosby has been granted a new trial, thanks in large part to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father's innocence. As Jody revisits old wounds, startling revelations compel her to uncover the dangerous truth about her family's tragic past.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,277 books! | Top bar: Always visible