The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy…

The Scent of Rain and Lightning

by Nancy Pickard

672None14,221 (3.67)48

I enjoyed the way this book effortlessly switched characters and time periods to tell the story. The characters were interesting and interacted well with one another. I really enjoyed the insular setting. Once I got into it it was hard to put down. I am still thinking about Jodi and the repercussions of the truth and wonder how she is doing now. ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
Great surprise. I found myself not wanting to put this book down. Pickard weaves an intriguing tale of murder and mystery but not in the traditional detective looking for the bad guy kind of way. Her idea of murder and mystery within a small close knit town focused on one particular family was a refreshing way of writing - no detective, no courtroom - just a family searching for answers. The only flaw I found with Pickard's writing style was her incessant and unnecessary descriptions of love. Throughout the book characters would do something as simple as watch the granddaughter sleep and her "heart would overflow with love for the child" (but with a lot more words). Putting the over-exaggerated descriptions of love aside, the story was very well told, keeping the reader wanting more, with a fantastic plot twist at the end. Definitely recommend!
  lesliewright34 | Jun 18, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this novel! Nancy Pickard has a great writing style and it kept me turning the pages... I was impressed by the way she described both the human relationships within the novel along with the essence of the beauty of the surroundings. I certainly will read more novels by this author in future. ( )
  WLR11 | Jun 9, 2013 |
I did not particularly enjoy this book. The writing seemed heavy-handed: numerous similies and lines of dialogue seemed forced and artificial, often in an attempt to show local color.

I only finished the book because I received an advance reader's copy. If I had picked this up from a library or gotten it from a friend, I would have put it down after the first few chapters and never have thought of it again. ( )
  kgrove | May 4, 2013 |
I wasn't sure, to be honest, what I was going to think of this book. It sounded interesting, in a way. In another? I just couldn't really decide if it was going to be one of this books you fell in love with, or if it would be a "meh"'. I am happy to say that was more of a "wow" than a meh. Packard has written a story of strong, yet flawed people who may not be perfect, but they are totally real and believable. The mystery, spaced over a period of 25 years, kept my attention. And, unlike many mysteries, it actually took me quite a while to figure out "who dunnit". Overall, I would recommend it. ( )
  Leiahc | May 4, 2013 |
With love and appreciation for libraries large and small
Until she was twenty-six, Jody Linder felt suspicious of happiness.

One beautiful summer afternoon, from her bedroom window on the second floor, Jody Linder is unnerved to see her three uncles parking their pickups in front of her parents' house — or what she calls her parents' house, even though Hugh-Jay and Laurie Linder have been gone almost all of Jody's life. "What is this fearsome thing I see?" the young high school English teacher whispers, mimicking Shakespeare. Polished boots, pressed jeans, fresh white shirts, Stetsons — her uncles' suspiciously clean visiting clothes are a disturbing sign.

The three bring shocking news: the man convicted of murdering Jody's father is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. It has been twenty-three years since that stormy night when her father was shot and killed and her mother disappeared, presumed dead. Neither the protective embrace of Jody's uncles nor the safe haven of her grandparents' ranch could erase the pain caused by Billy Crosby on that catastrophic night.

Now Billy Crosby's sentence has been commuted, thanks in large part to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father's innocence. As Jody lives only a few doors down from the Crosbys, she knows that sooner or later she'll come face-to-face with the man who she believes destroyed her family.

What she doesn't expect are the heated exchanges with Collin. Having grown up practically side by side in this very small town, Jody and Collin have had a long history of carefully avoiding each other's eyes. Now Jody discovers that underneath their antagonism is a shared sense of loss that no one else could possibly understand. As she revisits old wounds, startling revelations compel her to uncover the dangerous truth about her family's tragic past.

Engrossing, lyrical, and suspenseful, The Scent of Rain and Lightning captures the essence of small-town America — its heartfelt intimacy and darkest secrets — where through struggle and hardship people still dare to hope for a better future. For Jody Linder, maybe even love.

The man convicted of murdering Jody's father, Billy Crosby, is being released from prison and returning to the small town of Rose, Kansas. Crosby has been granted a new trial, thanks in large part to the efforts of his son, Collin, a lawyer who has spent most of his life trying to prove his father's innocence. As Jody revisits old wounds, startling revelations compel her to uncover the dangerous truth about her family's tragic past.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,410,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible