The Breach by Patrick Lee

The Breach (edition 2010)

by Patrick Lee

Member:Steelyshan
Title:The Breach
Authors:Patrick Lee
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: X, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Breach by Patrick Lee

IT was an interesting bit of escapism for a dreary weekend. ( )
  bke | Mar 30, 2014 |
If I could give this book ten stars, I would. This one kept me up past my bedtime (those of you who know me well know that's quite a feat), taking me by the throat from the first sentence and not letting me go until the last, but even then I wanted more. Still do. When the hell does Ghost Country, the sequel to this, come out?

I can't even formulate any intelligent thought on this right now. It'll have to wait until I've settled down some. First book I've read in a long time that left me shaking. ( )
  stacy_chambers | Aug 22, 2013 |
Please note: I read and reviewed this in 2010 from a copy I received from Amazon Vine.

My Story outline: The Breach starts out like a thriller - the main character, Travis Chase, just released from prison, stumbles upon the wreck of a 747 that contains, among other things, the dead body of the First Lady and a cryptic note alluding to "Tangent." There is no sign of a rescue operation - in fact, there is no sign that anyone else heard the crash.

From there, things start to get weird, and slowly but surely veer off into science fiction. Before Chase knows it, he is involved with Tangent, a top-secret agency that is literally underground and maintains control of a breach in space-time through which strange and wonderful (and occasionally VERY deadly dangerous) things periodically arrive.

My Recommendation: I don't wish to spoil the story by providing too much information on the plot, so I'll leave things there. But this is definitely a book that fans of thrillers, suspense, conspiracy nuts and sci-fi won't want to miss. ( )
1 vote Katyas | Apr 21, 2013 |
A good fast paced read that has left me keen to read the rest of the trilogy. I thought that the story got a little lost at one point where plot became too over-the-top ( the section in Switzerland with the crowds of people). However, it soon regained focus. Would definately recommend. ( )
  rhodonite | Sep 6, 2012 |
I found this book when looking for recommendations after reading Stephen King's "The Stand".

Whilst not as gripping as The Stand, and the characters not as well developed as King's, it is nonetheless a well told story. Almost every night when putting it down the story was poised with a new threat to be overcome. The ideas and obstacles Lee creates are enjoyable and unexpected. Very creative story elements.

The love affair between the principle characters was not overwhelming - just sufficient to drive some of their motivations.

This is the first in a three-book series. I will not hesitate to read the second. ( )
1 vote AussiePenMan | Jul 13, 2012 |
For my mother
On the first anniversary of his release from prison, Travis Chase woke at four in the morning to bright sunlight framing his window blinds.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061584452, Mass Market Paperback)

Thirty years ago, in a facility buried beneath a vast Wyoming emptiness, an experiment gone awry accidentally opened a door.

It is the world's best-kept secret—and its most terrifying.

Allied with a beautiful covert operative whose life he saved, Chase must now play the role he's been destined for—a pawn of incomprehensible forces or humankind's final hope—as the race toward Apocalypse begins in earnest.

Because something is loose in the world.

And doomsday is not only possible . . . it is inevitable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:38 -0400)

"Trying to regain his life in the Alaskan wilds, ex-con/ex-cop Travis Chase stumbles upon an impossible scene: a crashed 747 passenger jet filled with the murdered dead, including the wife of the President of the United States. Though a nightmare of monumental proportions, it pales before the terror to come, as Chase is dragged into a battle for the future that revolves around an amazing artifact. Allied with a beautiful covert operative whose life he saved, Chase must now play the role he's been destined for--a pawn of incomprehensible forces or humankind's final hope--as the race toward Apocalypse begins in earnest."--p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,306,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible