The Necromancer by Michael Scott

The Necromancer

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (4)

1,353575,693 (4)20
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: Another books that plays on the traditional stories of mythology. If you enjoyed one you will more than likely enjoy the other.

English (53)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (57)
Josh has been conflicted with Nicolas Flamel forever and is no one going to resolve their intentions for the reader?

If all elders have a bond to those they awaken, as you try to tell me, then why don't immortal humans with a bounty of their head coughcough John Dee coughcough just get summoned by their elders?

These summarize some of the most niggling problems I have about this book. Inconsistencies, questions that should be answered by now, and plot holes.

It's so very clear that Michael Scott did his research, (and that really shines through, great job to him on that) but I would love to get more doing to support the history lessons I get.

Aoife's sacrifice felt kind of cheap and her similarities to her sister were emphasized and everything but she feels comparatively bland. Perenelle Flamel and Sophie are some of the very, very few characters I am interested in, but that interest is limited.

Again, his writing is nice but I don't need to hear about the scents of the magics the various characters have. I know that they have these scents - you don't need to keep reminding me. And furthermore, if the scents can be changed then why doesn't John Dee change his scent? It's an instant giveaway to anyone within the area and beyond. Change it to cinnamon or something else subtler.

This book was good though. I just can't believe Josh, the history buff, doesn't know about Prometheus. Speaking of, Josh is an idiot.

In summary, Scott did really well with research and teaching the reader as they enjoyed his book but could have let the showing do the telling. Recommended to those who started the series and want to finish.
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
This was better than the third book in the series but mostly I've continued to read them because they are compelling rather than well written. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
This is the fourth book in the series, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. After the events of the first 3 books, Sophie, Josh and the Flamels arrive back in San Francisco hoping to get back to a regular routine. However, the twins have barely been home for a half hour before trouble shows up on their doorstep and they are pulled back into the world of elders and immortals, wondering who they should trust, and which side really is the right side.

This is a young adult series, so it is a fairly easy read. Along the way you meet many characters, many of whom are historical figures such as Billy the Kid, Machiavelli, and Joan of Arc. This is one of the reasons I like the series, I like the historical aspect that is brought. As I read, I find myself wanting to find out more about these figures. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an easy read that is entertaining. However, it is important to know that this in not a stand-alone book. Everything is better understood if you've read the other books first. ( )
  Tanya-D | Jan 15, 2016 |
the book has the same issue as all the chapters do, ending in the middle of everything. it's interesting but not particularly engaging. I read to find out what happened next but found only more descriptions of things I just couldn't get my head onto. I was actually bored in spots. maybe its because its been six days spent over four books and nothing truly major has happened yet. it's written like one book progressing to an end battle not several. each of the first books don't have that feeling of being tied up at the end, they lack any sort of conclusion. ( )
  MrsAlwyn | Nov 29, 2015 |
This is part of a series that I had the teens submitting reviews for on the book blog a long time ago, so I pretty much knew what was coming this volume. Still sad. I'm loving all of the historical characters and I can't wait to get to the end. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen.
De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden...
of vernietigen.
For Piers, Cura te ipsum
I am frightened.
San Francisco:

Josh and Sophie Newman are finally home.  And they're both more confused than ever about their future.  Neither of them has mastered the magics they'll need to protect themselves, they've lost Scatty, and they're still being pursued by Dr. John Dee.  Most disturbing of all, however, is that now they must ask themselves, can they trust Nicholas Flamel?  Can they trust anyone?

Alcatraz:

Dr. Dee underestimated Perenelle Flamel's power.  Alcatraz could not hold her, and she was able to align herself with the most unlikely of allies.  But she wasn't the only one being held on the island.  Behind the prison's bars and protective sigils were a menagerie of monsters, and now Machiavelli has come to Alcatraz to loose them on San Francisco.

Perenelle might be powerful, but each day she weakens, and even with Nicholas back at her side, a battle of this size could be too much for her.  Nicholas and Perenelle must fight to protect the city, but the effort will probably kill them both.

London:

Having failed to regain the final two pages of the Codex, Dee has failed his Elder and is now an outlaw.

But the Magician has a plan.  With the Codex and the creatures on Alcatraz, he can control the world.  All he needs is the help of the Archons.  But for his plan to work, he must raise the Mother of the Gods from the dead.  For that, he'll have to train a necromancer.

Nicholas Flamel and teenaged twins Josh and Sophie Newman return to San Francisco where a weakened Flamel reunites with his wife, Perenelle, hoping to use his remaining power to prevent the monsters on Alcatraz Island from escaping. Meanwhile, Dr. John Dee and Machiavelli continue to seek power and the twins desperately try to determine who they can trust as they search for Scatty and an immortal who can teach Josh the magic of fire.… (more)

271 wanted5 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,167,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible