The Necromancer by Michael Scott

The Necromancer

by Michael Scott

Series: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (4)

Recently added byMisaBookworm, lizzyserro, private library, SCCCBL, MCHSEastLibrary, ElleyOtter, beebee11698, lcheg
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (aps3644)
    aps3644: Another books that plays on the traditional stories of mythology. If you enjoyed one you will more than likely enjoy the other.

English (55)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (59)
Yeah... I've officially lost interest in this series. There are way, way too many characters, dangling plot lines, and questionable decisions made by the characters, especially Josh. What the heck is wrong with that kid? I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the series. ( )
  aquaorbis | Nov 1, 2017 |
This series has it all, adventure, mythology, history, geography, rivalry between friends and foes. Keeps me entertained! ( )
  MinDea | May 11, 2017 |
Absolutely great!!!!! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Josh has been conflicted with Nicolas Flamel forever and is no one going to resolve their intentions for the reader?

If all elders have a bond to those they awaken, as you try to tell me, then why don't immortal humans with a bounty of their head coughcough John Dee coughcough just get summoned by their elders?

These summarize some of the most niggling problems I have about this book. Inconsistencies, questions that should be answered by now, and plot holes.

It's so very clear that Michael Scott did his research, (and that really shines through, great job to him on that) but I would love to get more doing to support the history lessons I get.

Aoife's sacrifice felt kind of cheap and her similarities to her sister were emphasized and everything but she feels comparatively bland. Perenelle Flamel and Sophie are some of the very, very few characters I am interested in, but that interest is limited.

Again, his writing is nice but I don't need to hear about the scents of the magics the various characters have. I know that they have these scents - you don't need to keep reminding me. And furthermore, if the scents can be changed then why doesn't John Dee change his scent? It's an instant giveaway to anyone within the area and beyond. Change it to cinnamon or something else subtler.

This book was good though. I just can't believe Josh, the history buff, doesn't know about Prometheus. Speaking of, Josh is an idiot.

In summary, Scott did really well with research and teaching the reader as they enjoyed his book but could have let the showing do the telling. Recommended to those who started the series and want to finish.
  ElizabethJoseph | Feb 10, 2016 |
This was better than the third book in the series but mostly I've continued to read them because they are compelling rather than well written. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Michael Scottprimary authorall editionscalculated
Boehmer, PaulNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gulik, Henny vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Een magisch boek wordt gestolen.
De twee die één zijn zullen de wereld redden...
of vernietigen.
For Piers, Cura te ipsum
I am frightened.
San Francisco:

Josh and Sophie Newman are finally home.  And they're both more confused than ever about their future.  Neither of them has mastered the magics they'll need to protect themselves, they've lost Scatty, and they're still being pursued by Dr. John Dee.  Most disturbing of all, however, is that now they must ask themselves, can they trust Nicholas Flamel?  Can they trust anyone?

Alcatraz:

Dr. Dee underestimated Perenelle Flamel's power.  Alcatraz could not hold her, and she was able to align herself with the most unlikely of allies.  But she wasn't the only one being held on the island.  Behind the prison's bars and protective sigils were a menagerie of monsters, and now Machiavelli has come to Alcatraz to loose them on San Francisco.

Perenelle might be powerful, but each day she weakens, and even with Nicholas back at her side, a battle of this size could be too much for her.  Nicholas and Perenelle must fight to protect the city, but the effort will probably kill them both.

London:

Having failed to regain the final two pages of the Codex, Dee has failed his Elder and is now an outlaw.

But the Magician has a plan.  With the Codex and the creatures on Alcatraz, he can control the world.  All he needs is the help of the Archons.  But for his plan to work, he must raise the Mother of the Gods from the dead.  For that, he'll have to train a necromancer.

Nicholas Flamel and teenaged twins Josh and Sophie Newman return to San Francisco where a weakened Flamel reunites with his wife, Perenelle, hoping to use his remaining power to prevent the monsters on Alcatraz Island from escaping. Meanwhile, Dr. John Dee and Machiavelli continue to seek power and the twins desperately try to determine who they can trust as they search for Scatty and an immortal who can teach Josh the magic of fire.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,683,534 books! | Top bar: Always visible