Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by…

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (original 1968; edition 1996)

by Philip K. Dick

12,435325196 (3.97)2 / 580
Member:ashbrau
Title:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Del Rey (1996), Paperback, 256 pages

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (1968)

Recently added byDunaganagain, MikeBayer, Renxk, Dcjones436, rhoward, Netpilgrim, jkrzok, alvherre, private library
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
1960s (247)

English (307)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (323)
A wonderfully dark and intellectual look at a dystopian future and the meaning of what it is to be called 'human'. An essential read for any fan of sci-fi as well as Blade Runner fans. ( )
  MerkabaZA | Jun 12, 2017 |
Dick is an odd writer. There are distinct flashes of true genius in the writing, and some of the ideas are wondrously mind bending - but sometimes the dialogue is painful and the prose destroyed by silly technology names or just plain awful writing.

It is especially hard letting this book make it's own impression when the images from the movie Blade Runner are so strong. It isn't that the story is different, in fact the problem is that so much of the two stories are identical, but the differences jar badly. Obviously, this is hardly Dick's fault, but it is there.

Do Androids Dream... in particular hasn't aged well. Set in 1992, the future seems archaic and, frankly, not especially well thought out - there are hover cars and laser pistols, but these seem merely standard sci-fi props to place the world in "the future" to support Dick's real ideas - the scarcity or extinction of all animal life, and the new culture in which all humans have to demonstrate their empathy by publicly caring for a domestic animal while they actually have to use an empathy box and dial emotions on a personal device.

The thriller element of the story has problems because, although we are told that the Nexus-6 androids are stronger and smarter than humans, we see no evidence of it, and Deckard disposes of them far too easily. Pris and Roy Baty were created far more effectively in the film.

Not one of Dick's great books - The Man in the High Castle is better on every level - but definitely worth reading. ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
He thought, too, about his need for a real animal; within him an actual hatred once more manifested itself toward his electric sheep, which he had to tend, had to care about as if it lived.

I'm still reading this book. I've read it before but it's been at least 10 years if not more.

I don't know why this time around the animals and Deckards drive and need for a real animal is hitting close to home for me. I can't imagine living without animals. Earlier this week I walked over to the Hub on campus to grab lunch. This little sparrow was having the time of his life in a rain puddle. He was not afraid of me walking up to him and he wasn't afraid of the students walking about. He just happily fluffed his wings, gave himself a rather thorough bath, and enjoyed himself. To me it was such a wonderful thing to watch. I love animals. I love watching them and attaching personalities to them. As I watched the bird, a guy walked past me and smiled saying, "it's a bird!" as if I didn't know. I just smiled back and continued watching until the bird had finished up and hopped away.

It's understandable that Deckard needs to have something real in his life - everything is so automated - you buy a box so you can feel empathy, you dial a number so you can feel something else. But I also think there is a joy in having real animals to watch, to love, to care for. The book doesn't really go into domestic animals so much - Deckard says that his electric sheep doesn't know that he, Deckard, exists. When I get home from work I'm greeted (most days) by at least one of my cats. If I had an electric cat or dog, would I receive that same kind of greeting?

I used to think Sony's robot dog was really amazing, but it's still electric. It can learn and it can respond, but it's not going to greet me at the door with licks and tail wagging.

That's heartbreaking. To live where there is no real feeling anymore. No real emotion or love. I think the only real feelings the people in this book have is fear.

May 23rd - I don't remember feeling this worn out and depressed the first time I read this book. The book is so bleak. The ideas expressed within are unsettling - that we would create robots to be human-like and then give them the drudgery work. If we're going to create robots to do the dirty work for humans, why make them human-like at all? Why not leave them to be just machines without free will and thought process?

It's never really explained why the Rosen corporation felt they needed to make the andys better and better and more human like. We know the androids were created to go to Mars and build the colonies, but beyond that, that's pretty much it.

Why did the andys get imbedded with ways to kill people? If they're just diggers, why not only give them digging thoughts? Why create humanoid beings at all?

In these novels, and movies like this, where the robots suddenly rebel it's always because the humans have decided to give the robots some free will and the ability to think and grow for themselves, to learn from it's experience. Hello! That's where the trouble comes into play! Duh! We're the humans. They're the machines. It's okay for them to not be human like.

Other things that bothered me in the story was how the society is now segregated into people who were "normal" and people who were "special" (as in having to take the Special Bus to school kind of special). Only the normal people were allowed to live off world. Earth is in ruins and the people who aren't considered smart enough or mentally sane enough are not allowed to leave. What were the parameters? Who decided who was special and who wasn't? I've heard that in England a person's medical history is public access. WOW! That's insanely scary and leading right down this road to the government making a decision about who gets to have what based on their mental capacities.

The future looks bleak, if you follow Mr. Dick's writings. Very, very bleak indeed. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
This was a read that started well with some intriguing world-building, but fell flat for me in terms of characters and narrative.

I like a central question of what it means to be human, and I like empathy as an answer. So it’s unfortunate that this book is devoted to deconstructing it. I’m not a huge fan of books that relentlessly point out that humanity is horrid (the real world does this awfully well all by itself).

Deckard’s huge realisation that the line between androids and humans is not as clear-cut as he has always believed is a big personal journey for him, but given it’s clear from the start that his position is pretty flawed, it was underwhelming for me as a reader (he is an asshat from start to finish).

It’s often surreal, with deliberate dialogue and mannered descriptions; it was easier to engage with intellectually as satire than to relax into as storytelling. I remain fascinated if disheartened by the bleak vision of a society so disconnected from its own emotions that it artificially induces not only moods but religious experiences. There’s enough here that I’ll consider reading other novels by Philip K Dick, although I don’t hold out much hope for finding one I like unreservedly.

Full review ( )
  imyril | Apr 15, 2017 |
Wow, Philip Dick is always a trip to read and this was no exception. I love it.

Original title was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |

Sleight, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Struzen, DrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wölfl, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelazny, RogerIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And still I dream he treads the lawn,
walking ghostly in the dew,
pierced by my glad singing through.
~ Yeats
To Tim and Serena Powers, my dearest friends
To Maren Augusta Bergrud
August 10, 1923 - June 14, 1967
A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard.

It was January 2021, and Rick Deckard had a license to kill.

Somewhere among the hordes of humans out there, lurked several rogue androids. Deckard's assignment--find them and then... "retire" them.

Trouble was, the androids all looked and acted exactly like humans, and they didn't want to be found!

"The most consistently brilliant science fiction writer in the world."
--John Brunner

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . .

Emigrées to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in.

"[Dick] sees all the sparkling and terrifying possibilities. . . that other authors shy away from."
--Paul Williams, Rolling Stone

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . . Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was published in 1968. Grim and foreboding, even today it is a masterpiece ahead of its time. By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans. Emigrees to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in. Rick Deckard was an officially sanctioned bounty hunter whose job was to find rogue androids, and to retire them. But cornered, androids tended to fight back, with deadly results.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,152,692 books! | Top bar: Always visible