Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by…

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (original 1968; edition 1996)

by Philip K. Dick

12,306321206 (3.96)2 / 567
Member:ashbrau
Title:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Authors:Philip K. Dick
Info:Del Rey (1996), Paperback, 256 pages

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick (1968)

Recently added byprivate library, RafaDelHierro, tokyoadam, Wildlord12, BOlewnick, RobEbbutt1, schlaubibasti, noswall
Legacy LibrariesTerence Kemp McKenna
1960s (239)

English (304)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Italian (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  Romanian (1)  Portuguese (1)  All (320)
Wow, Philip Dick is always a trip to read and this was no exception. I love it.

Original title was Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Prob the best PKD book I ever read, though it is barely recognizable as such. Must be some heavy duty editing going on w this one. 1982 edition ICW Blade Runner movie release. Clearly an original version of the novel.
Androids are glaringly lacking in real world intelligence here. Roy Batty depicted as a drug taking Mongoloid, and he got whacked by Deckard in about 2 seconds. Much better than the movie, though the movie is awesome in it's own right. ( )
  delta351 | Feb 2, 2017 |
A science fiction classic, in which a bounty hunter in future San Francisco (the date isn't clear but it's sometime after "World War Terminus" has left a radioactive cloud over the planet and blocking out the sun; most humans have chosen to emigrate to Mars or another space colony to survive) has to track down and "retire" some lifelike androids that have escaped from the Mars colony and returned to Earth.

It was never exactly clear to me why the androids (who don't seem to be out to overthrow humans and who have built-in lifespans of only a few years) had to be killed, other than that they committed crimes in order to escape Mars, but that didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story. In addition to the basic action-driven plotline, there are some interesting ethical, religious and philosophical questions posed about what makes us human, and why it's acceptable to kill androids even if they are so nearly human that only the most exacting psychological-type tests can detect their machinery.

One of the most poignant aspects has to do with the scarcity of real animals due to the radioactive fallout, which makes each specimen (even toads and spiders) worth thousands of dollars and the main status symbol for humans, who have to resort to lifelike electric animals if they can't afford the real thing. I've never seen the Harrison Ford movie The Blade Runner, which is apparently based on this story, but I'd kind of like to check it out now and compare it to the Dick story. ( )
  rosalita | Jan 26, 2017 |
"I'll dial for both of us," Rick said, and led her back into the bedroom. There, at her console, he dialed 594: pleased acknowledgment of husband's superior wisdom in all matters.

PKD always had a good sense of humour. Any time I'm getting squawked at by my ol lady, I just use that line of his. ( )
  satanburger | Jan 15, 2017 |
One of the most incredible books I've ever read, this complicated and mind-bending tale about who and is real seems to get better every time I read it because I notice something different or approach it from a different viewpoint. ( )
1 vote Arianwen16 | Jan 4, 2017 |

Sleight, GrahamIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Struzen, DrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wölfl, NorbertTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelazny, RogerIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
And still I dream he treads the lawn,
walking ghostly in the dew,
pierced by my glad singing through.
~ Yeats
To Tim and Serena Powers, my dearest friends
To Maren Augusta Bergrud
August 10, 1923 - June 14, 1967
A merry little surge of electricity piped by automatic alarm from the mood organ beside his bed awakened Rick Deckard.

It was January 2021, and Rick Deckard had a license to kill.

Somewhere among the hordes of humans out there, lurked several rogue androids. Deckard's assignment--find them and then... "retire" them.

Trouble was, the androids all looked and acted exactly like humans, and they didn't want to be found!

"The most consistently brilliant science fiction writer in the world."
--John Brunner

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . .

Emigrées to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in.

"[Dick] sees all the sparkling and terrifying possibilities. . . that other authors shy away from."
--Paul Williams, Rolling Stone

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:14 -0400)

THE INSPIRATION FOR BLADERUNNER. . . Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? was published in 1968. Grim and foreboding, even today it is a masterpiece ahead of its time. By 2021, the World War had killed millions, driving entire species into extinction and sending mankind off-planet. Those who remained coveted any living creature, and for people who couldn't afford one, companies built incredibly realistic simulacrae: horses, birds, cats, sheep. . . They even built humans. Emigrees to Mars received androids so sophisticated it was impossible to tell them from true men or women. Fearful of the havoc these artificial humans could wreak, the government banned them from Earth. But when androids didn't want to be identified, they just blended in. Rick Deckard was an officially sanctioned bounty hunter whose job was to find rogue androids, and to retire them. But cornered, androids tended to fight back, with deadly results.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,993 books! | Top bar: Always visible