The Aerodrome by Rex Warner

The Aerodrome (1941)

by Rex Warner

This is an underrated classic allegory of good versus evil. I remember enjoying reading it immensely and was later pleased to find it on Anthony Burgess' list of 99 novels which he considers the best since 1939. This is certainly among the best that I have read from the modern era. ( )
  jwhenderson | Aug 27, 2010 |
1840 The Aerodrome a love story by Rex Warner (read 25 Mar 1984) I read this because it is on Anthony Burgess' list of the 99 novels in English since 1939 which he calls "outstanding achievements." I had not previously heard of this book, but the jacket calls it "the best English Kafka novel" and refers to its "persistent, underground reputation as a minor classic." It is an allegory about an evil man, the Vice Air Marshal, who takes over an English village, told by a man who has just, at the beginning of the book, turned 21. The moral it seeks to teach seems rather obvious to me--it is anti-totalitarian--but maybe in 1941 it was a very pertinent moral. The author was born in 1905 and attended Oxford. In 1966 he was at the University of Connecticut. Some of his novels about ancient Greece and Rome might be worth reading. {But I have never yet read any of them.] ( )
  Schmerguls | Sep 21, 2008 |

Rex Warnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burgess, AnthonyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallardo, GervasioCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moorcock, MichaelIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It would be difficult to overestimate the importance to me of the events which had taken place previous to the hour (it was shortly after ten o'clock in the morning) when I was lying in the marsh near the small pond at the bottom of Gurney's meadow, my face in the mud and the black mud beginning to ooze through the spaces between the fingers of my outstretched hands, drunk, but not blindly so, for I seemed only to have lost the use of my limbs.

A model of efficiency and order, the aerodrome stands on the hill looking down on the village below. Roy, coming of age in the messy, violent, and adulterous world of the villagers, is simultaneously attracted and repelled by this strange place and by the powerful figure of the Air Vice-Marshal. Soon he is led to leave his family, his friends and his love in order to join the aerodrome and confront the secrets of this mysterious and sinister place. Michael Moorcock, author of the Elric novels, contributes an introduction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:39 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,527,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible