Covet (Fallen Angels, Book 1) by J. R. Ward

Covet (Fallen Angels, Book 1)

by J. R. Ward

English (67)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (69)
I loved it!! All of the characters were great. It was fun to get a peek of some of the guys from the Black Dagger Brotherhood as well. Ms. Ward is a fabulous writer. She just sucks me right in. This one wasn't quite as good as the Black Dagger Brotherhood but I am definitely excited to read more. This series has a fantastic story line. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Oh, I just can't tell you how disappointed I am right now. I was so very, very excited about reading this. I adore the Black Dagger Brotherhood books (most of them anyway) and Lassiter really piqued my interest, so a whole series based on the Fallen Angels...how could it go wrong? Well I found out, didn't I? It could go wrong in any number of ways and Mrs. Ward seems to have found most of them.

Don't get me wrong, I still love her rather unique writing style--all full of la-di-das and unique grammar structures that sound so very right for the characters. But the story...the story was a serious let down. Let's start with the fact that Lassiter, the fallen angel who shows up in the latter BDB books to introduce this spin off series, isn't even in the book. That's right, the very character who introduced readers to fallen angels was left out completely. How is that possible?

Next, the use of the noble whore falling in love with the flawed but redeemable billionaire businessman (and visa-versa) is about as cliché and trite as they come. Overused doesn't even begin to cover it. Plus, I got really tired of all of the prostitute bashing disguised as Marie-Terese's pangs of conscious. Yes, I concede that it is generally a mirror of society's unfortunate opinion on the matter, but it was harangued on endlessly.

Then there is the insta-love. Now, Ward is known for insta-love scenarios so this isn't really all that surprising. But here it felt more extreme than normal since both characters had to break character to actually fall instantly in love. Marie-Terese had to abandon years of careful caution and Vin had to suddenly develop a heart he previously lacked. Even if I was willing to accept this cosmic shift in both of their mentalities I then had to also accept their sudden effusive natures. The 'I love you', 'I trust you', 'thank you for believing in me' were flying off the shelf left an right, despite the fact that these people had known each-other for collective hours. I couldn't see for all the sappy hearts and flowers they were giving off. Gag.

I was also left wondering if Vin and Marie-Terese's drama or Jim's situation was the primary plot of the book. I honestly couldn't tell. There is a serious problem when I finish a book and can't tell who the main character was. Now, I liked Jim a lot. I liked his anti-hero personality and rather grey goodness. I liked his wingmen, Eddie and Adrian. I liked their mission, etc. But they felt incidental to Vin and Marie-Terese falling instantly in love and I don't think that was supposed to be the case.

Lastly, I'm totally lost on the pantheon of these books. Since Black Dagger Brothers showed up in the background on occasion (Butch's Red Sox hat in the last pew of the church service, running into Phury outside his NA meeting, her working for Trez, etc) I'm assuming this is the same general universe. So how exactly does the BDB's goddess and the Angel's God fit together? I'm stumped.

Since I generally love Mrs. Wards actual writing I'd be willing to give the second book in this series a try to see if given a different plot I might like it better. But this particular book left me cold. Left me less than cold, it left me feeling like I had wasted time on. And all of it was only exacerbated by the fact that I had such high hopes going in. I really expected to love it. Such a let down. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
I love her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but this one just didn't do it for me at all. I felt like the plot took a really long time to get going and I didn't find the characters believable. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Jim Heron (Main hero) is an ex-military assassin, jaded and cynical about life in general. He gets into an accident on-site and electrocutes himself, after sleeping with the bosses girlfriend. He meets four angels who tell him, he has to help people make the right choice, a crossroads for them. He is sent back to earth (by some strange English angels)to help this couple or is it the other couple ? Well, he has to figure it out. The herorine Marie Terrese, not my favorite, she is not very deep or interesting as a character. There are demons, a nasty woman one. Sweet little dogs with limps, and angels on Harley's. Jr Ward said it was romance, I did not read it that way.
This story lacks the multi-layered background storytelling that keeps me interested despite a lack of interest in the main storyline. Which I really never had much interest in, it was shallow. Even with that I will try the next one. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
4.5 stars ( )
  EleniK | Dec 25, 2015 |
For Our Theo
Demon was such a nasty word.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451228219, Mass Market Paperback)

Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about—his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he’s good with that — until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart—and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

Watch a Video

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:51 -0400)

"Redemption isn't a word Jim Heron knows much about--his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin diPietro has surrendered himself to his business--until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior, and a woman who makes him question his destiny. With an ancient evil ready to claim him, Vin has to work with a fallen angel not only to win his beloved over...but to redeem his very soul."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,164,344 books! | Top bar: Always visible