Captivate by Carrie Jones

Captivate

by Carrie Jones

High school junior Zara and her friends continue to try to contain the pixies that threaten their small Maine town, but when a Valkyrie takes Zara's boyfriend, Nick, to Valhalla, the only way to save him is to trust a pixie king, Astley.

Despite what this books’ title may lead you to believe, CAPTIVATE did not captivate me.
I’m sorry, but this just isn’t my favorite series. I mean, it’s okay, an I’m definitely gonna read the next one, but… I don’t know. There’s just something not there in this series, you know? I mean, I’m assuming these people are meant to be in high school. They read like sixth graders. It’s just… I don’t now, I don’t really like it.
One thing I do like: there’s an explanation as to why all this shit is going down in Small Town, Maine. I mean, Twilight, there’s no real excuse, unless you count “It’s rainy” as an excuse for all the vampire shit that goes down, which I don’t. unearthly by Cynthia Hand, there’s not even any attempt at a reason, its jus, “There’s angel shit going down at Small Town, Wyoming. No reason why it’s there and not somewhere else, but it’s there, so be there or be square!” okay, that’s never said, but I get kind of ranty, so deal, okay?
And that is one of things I like about this book. There’s a reason, a good reason, that makes sense as to why there’s fairy and norse mythology shit going down there.
Ahh… time for fave quotes, don’t you think?

“This Astley pixie guy has me messed up,” I say, touching the massive circular speedometer in the middle of the console with my pointer finger. I like how the line tells you exactly how fast you’re going, all you have to do is look.

I don’t know why, but her talking about the speedometer in the middle of all the pixie shit going down touches me a little.

I move through the house, silent as the dead. There is power in my choice. My story has lost its male protagonist, its romantic lead. I am just a shell. So my death won’t be much of a loss ad I will take down as many of those bastards as I possibly can, so there will be less hurt to Gram, and Issie, and my mom, and Devyn. That is my plan. I will avenge him and die doing it.

I’m sorry I’m saying this, and I probably wouldn’t say it if this were any other book series, but, Come on! Seriously! Nick’s dead, boohoo, and now you’re going to go commit suicide by pixie? That is lame. Seriously f-ing lame. Hello? Suicidal heroines are not good. They make me mad. Especially since a) we know you can survive the death of people close to you. Wasn’t that the whole point of book 1? The aftermath of your dad’s death? And b) He’s not Actually dead.
Urgh! *Grrr*
Sorry. I do not like this.

Pixies and their ridiculous queen obsession.

I agree, it is ridiculous.

Definition
Hero: you might want to be a hero if and when you and your friends are attacked by pixies. Remember, though, that heroes often die.

Deep. True and deep.

That’s all, folks!

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
So we found the thing that Zara's willing to sacrifice her humanity for, and it adds a whole new dimension. Suddenly we've got a love triangle- because of course we do (the thing with Ian was just a false flag). Zara and Astley both kind of think the other one is just using them, and they're both kind of right, but Astley is so nice and Zara is so obsessed with Nick. Ashley didn't have Nick's immediate appeal, but Zara obviously saved him for a reason, and I think it went beyond just being nice. ( )
  t1bnotown | Mar 20, 2018 |
I like Astley. He better stick around.
I don't like Nick. He's a freakin jerk.

Stupid Nick.

Shahnareads | Jun 21, 2017 |
3.5 stars

I was completely captivated by this one - and yes, that's an intentional cheesy line. I'm allowed these sometimes.

After the excellent series debut, I couldn't wait to read this one nd see how firm the band-aid fix from that end held.

As with the last book, the group remains deadset against prejudice on anything to do with "big, bad pixie." They do have good reasons to hate, but the 'trapping' still irks me. Even if their hands were tied, it's still cruel and ignorant.

Zara gets ample warning about the disastrous consequences which soon befall her harebrained scheme. The worst thing about that really is it was so obvious what would happen, warning or not. Still everyone ignores advance warning and are still "unprepared" when it blows up in their faces. Argh! Annoying, right? The Valhalla story angle...well, I'll see where the author leads with it. I'm optimistic.

This sequel dishes out a large, depressing change, the intro of a new major player, and branches it's story out to expand horizons beyond the chilly town.

Compared with the first book, this one kicks off with more energy, the dilemma already in their faces. Even tension levels hold strong since pacing is even.

There are several emotional clenchers - wow on what happens to a main! - where shall that lead next? As the newcomer, Astley is intriguing enough to be considered a "good add." Oodles more on the level of group tension due to major changes, but also hard decisions Zara makes.

I hope I'm not the only one NOT warming up to 'dear, old mom?' Yeah, I get that the father's a monster in many respects - I really do - and it's not the mom's fault he 'needs' her to keep the madness at bay....but he does seem to genuinely care about her enough to let her go, which he knew would have him weaker in the process. At the end she's so filled with hated she can't even fully accept her own daughter the same? Really? Yuck. She is blinded by so many pre-arranged prejudices.

At least again Betty completely rocks at being the grandmother. :)

As a Young Adult, this lacks consequential melodrama - I'm pleased to report emo thoughts are kept off the table. There's not a triangle yet but one might be looming. Enough violence will keep action/adventure fans pleased, still a PG-13 book all the way. Sadder than the original, many life altering scenes.

I missed the excitement, intrigue and strong mystery the first boasted, but still dig this action-packed followup. I didn't fall in love with the mains further, but I approve of all newbies blended into the fold. Holding a strong sense of urgency and higher-paced action, while being coated with sadness, this sequel is captivating enough to recommend. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Zara hasa few pixie problems, she is half pixie, her father a pixie king is locked up in a prison house with other pixies who want to kill her and other king pixies want to turn her to make her their queen. There seems to be a parade of them coming to town to eat (murder),rule and have her. Her love Nick, the wolf has some competition when a Pixie King Astley behaves honorably toward Zara. He shows her a side of the pixies she did not believe existed. Everything goes wrong, her life is in extreme danger and Astley may be the one she has to turn to. Her friends and her family all warn her, but she has to make her own choices.
I really liked Need, the first book, and I enjoyed continuation even more. It is a wonderful fairytale with a well detailed world and strongly developed characters. My only complaint is that it is too short, I wanted more. It is a YA book but it never had the teen angst feel that many books have.
*Cliffhanger ending* ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
To Don Radovich, because he is so missed, very missed, and to Emily and my own John Wayne. Thank you both so much for being beyond great.
There are these bizarre people who actually like physical education class.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,109,612 books! | Top bar: Always visible