We3 by Grant Morrison

We3 (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Grant Morrison (Writer)

Writer Grant Morrison and artist Frank Quitely deliver the emotional journey of WE3 - three house pets weaponized for lethal combat by the government - as they search for "home" and ward off the shadowy agency that created them. With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 (WE3) have the firepower of a battalion between them. But they are just the program's prototypes, and now that their testing is complete, they're slated to be permanently "decommissioned," causing them to seize their one chance to make a desperate run for freedom. Relentlessly pursued by their makers, the WE3 team must navigate a frightening and confusing world where their instincts and heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them - but a world, nonetheless, in which somewhere there is something called "home."… (more)
Member:sullijo
Title:We3
Authors:Grant Morrison
Info:Vertigo (2005), Paperback, 104 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:@home, fiction, science fiction, graphic novel

We3 by Grant Morrison (Writer) (2005)

This was a very good graphic novel. The characters were all engaging on an emotional level and the writing was clever and balanced, bringing a sense of tragedy in a story about furry animals without ever veering into schmaltzy storytelling.

One of the most interesting aspects of the novel is how Grant Morrison plays with time and space within the graphic layout. Most scenes are told from an animal's perspective so not only do we get tight human mouths and crotches but time itself is altered. It is more complicated to explain than it is to see but the effect is fascinating. Using the backdrop of a simple chase story, Morrison, through his use of alternating time perspectives, orbits certain signifiers of meaning (e.g. "home," "gud") and calls them into question.

I could go on. There were quite a few ideas packed into this little story both visual and intellectual which stemmed from a fundamental meditation/reinvention of several signifiers (war/peace, animal/human, time, identity, ownership).

I definitely recommend this book, especially if you like your cool factor violence mixed with postmodernism. ( )
  Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |

Adrian_Astur_Alvarez | Dec 3, 2019 |
A superbly upsetting and yet oddly heartwarming tale of three experimented-on house pets turned killing machines. Infinitely creepy and horrid but somehow deeply touching. You have to have a strong stomach both for visual violence and (perhaps more importantly) brutal pyschological concepts to read this, but if you can handle it, I'd warmly recommend it being worth the journey. ( )
  Lucky-Loki | Jun 26, 2019 |
So... yeah. Let me premise why I picked this up in the first place, shall I? Somehow we got on the topic at work about animal cruelty. I don't remember how, to be completely honest. What I did remember, was that my comic loving co-worker mentioned that Grant Morrison had done a very brutal comic all about that topic. He warned me that it was sad, dark, and violent. Of course, being a curious person, I had to go and find out what he was talking about.

He was right.

This is a story about a secret project that turns common household pets into murderous, rampaging mech-monsters. From the very beginning, I knew that this book was going to hit me hard. If you have difficulty dealing with animal cruelty? Stay away from this book. It's bloody. It's violent. It's so, so very sad. I found myself completely wrapped up in the story of these three pets, of We3 and their devastatingly bleak existence. I wanted to stop reading, but I kept reading and hoping that the ending would work out for the best.

Whew. Anyone who says that comics can't be used to tell important stories, is dead wrong. What better way to make a point than to illustrate it in broad, vivid art? ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
Love the cat. Confusing sometimes, and some parts felt rushed. Never truly understood Roseanne's motives. Overall enjoyable. ( )
  VeeMcD123 | Oct 13, 2018 |
Morrison, perhaps the greatest writer in comics today, endows his animals with synthesized cyborg speech in which they express their most basic desires for warmth, food and love, as well as their attempts to process their unnatural capacities for violence. "Bad dog," Bandit repeatedly scolds himself after taking down yet another soldier. Quitely's art consists of lucid images of mayhem and sweetness that, in the most impressive spreads, fractalize to express the way these animals "experience time and motion differently." It's a groundbreaking and bravura performance. This is Morrison's most accessible tale ever, and one that is destined to be a classic.
added by kristenn | editPublisher's Weekly (Jan 7, 2010)

Grant Morrison is sometimes criticized for favoring crazy ideas over storytelling, or for being confusing. This book, with neither of those flaws, is thus his best introduction for a new reader.

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quitely, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, JamieColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vinegar Tom, Mina, BB, Jarmara, Trudy, Stanley, Princess, Katinka, and the boys Toby and Cheesy. Thanks for the inspiration.

WE3 tells the unforgettable story of three innocent pets -- a dog, a cat and a rabbit -- who have been converted into deadly cyborgs by a sinister military weapons program. With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 have the firepower of a battalion between them. But they are just the programs prototypes and, now that their testing is complete, they're slated to be permanently decommissioned" until they seize their one chance to make a desperate run for freedom! Relentlessly pursued by their makers, the WE3 team must navigate a frightening and confusing world where their instincts and heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them, but a world, nonetheless, in which there is something called Home. Action-packed and heart-wrenching, WE3 is a new high mark from two of comics greatest talents. -- Publisher description

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible