We3 by Grant Morrison

We3 (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Grant Morrison

Authors:Grant Morrison
Info:Vertigo (2005), Paperback, 104 pages
Tags:Fiction, Graphic Novel, Science Fiction, Animals, Animal Experimentation, Cyborgs, Vertigo

We3 by Grant Morrison (Writer) (2005)

I held off writing this review as I was hoping that time would relieve some of the unpleasantness of my experience with We3. It didn't. Maybe all the hype about this graphic novel had me expecting something different. On the plus side, most of the artwork is well done, but I am disappointed overall. First, it is way too gory. Thanks, but I don't need to see every sinew. Second, I don't like the sections of tiny views where you can't really tell what you are looking at most of the time. The ending is strange and unsatisfying. We3 just doesn't work for me. Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
Grim little story
3:32 pm 22 October 2015
We3 - Frank Quitely, Grant Morrison
This is a grim little story about animal testing, taken to the extreme. Morrison made me weep for these three animals - the titular WE3 - more than once. It's a thoughtful examination of what man will do in his own name, and in the name of war.

And while it was excellent, and I blew through this, I can't really write a long review. This whole damn thing was depressing. The ending was a bit uplifting, but I'm left with another wave of grief thinking over this story.

I'd definitely suggest it, but not if you can't stomach violence against animals. ( )
  All_Hail_Grimlock | Nov 1, 2015 |
We3 is the story of three "lost" pets, experimented on by the government and turned into the ultimate weapons. But once they're working it's time to move on to the next step, and experimental materials are no longer needed...

Morrison carefully builds his story, layering levels of creepiness and sympathy together while continually cranking up the violence and danger. The premise is exaggerated, but feels uncomfortably realistic, which heightens the impact of the battle our unfortunate, uncomprehending protagonists find thrust upon them.
  GalenWiley | Apr 9, 2015 |

This is just the saddest-happiest thing ever. I already knew the dog lived before I started (I made my boyfriend read it before me because I refuse to read anything in which a dog dies because it is JUST TOO SAD) but that didn't make it any less heartbreaking. Favourite thing about it was the balance of the characters - the humans weren't caricature bad guys, the animals did some pretty scary shit. I just... I loved this. The art is absolutely gorgeous as well, if a little graphic in parts (in particular, the second issue has some panels that made me feel a little nauseous). The cat was pretty excellent, thought it seemed quite true to what I imagine cats to think (I don't like cats much generally). And the poor bunny seemed to have everything bad happen to it.

Well worth a look if you like intelligent comics. Is gud comic. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Oct 19, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
Morrison, perhaps the greatest writer in comics today, endows his animals with synthesized cyborg speech in which they express their most basic desires for warmth, food and love, as well as their attempts to process their unnatural capacities for violence. "Bad dog," Bandit repeatedly scolds himself after taking down yet another soldier. Quitely's art consists of lucid images of mayhem and sweetness that, in the most impressive spreads, fractalize to express the way these animals "experience time and motion differently." It's a groundbreaking and bravura performance. This is Morrison's most accessible tale ever, and one that is destined to be a classic.
added by kristenn | editPublisher's Weekly (Jan 7, 2010)
Grant Morrison is sometimes criticized for favoring crazy ideas over storytelling, or for being confusing. This book, with neither of those flaws, is thus his best introduction for a new reader.

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quitely, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, JamieColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vinegar Tom, Mina, BB, Jarmara, Trudy, Stanley, Princess, Katinka, and the boys Toby and Cheesy. Thanks for the inspiration.

WE3 tells the unforgettable story of three innocent pets -- a dog, a cat and a rabbit -- who have been converted into deadly cyborgs by a sinister military weapons program. With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 have the firepower of a battalion between them. But they are just the programs prototypes and, now that their testing is complete, they're slated to be permanently decommissioned" until they seize their one chance to make a desperate run for freedom! Relentlessly pursued by their makers, the WE3 team must navigate a frightening and confusing world where their instincts and heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them, but a world, nonetheless, in which there is something called Home. Action-packed and heart-wrenching, WE3 is a new high mark from two of comics greatest talents. -- Publisher description

"Animals are being transformed into intelligent experimental weapons, and three in particular are trained to work together as a team known as WE3. When the animals formerly known as Bandit the dog, Tinker the cat, and Pirate the rabbit are decommissioned and condemned to death, their doctor/trainer decides to let them escape. What follows is a series of action-packed and heartbreaking chase and fight scenes between the lethal animals and the United States military. Compelling, moving, and disturbing, this is a thought-provoking work for mature readers"--Andrea Lipinski, School Library Journal.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,859,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible