We3 by Grant Morrison

We3 (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Grant Morrison

Member:moppety
Title:We3
Authors:Grant Morrison
Info:Vertigo (2005), Paperback, 104 pages
Tags:Fiction, Graphic Novel, Science Fiction, Animals, Animal Experimentation, Cyborgs, Vertigo

We3 by Grant Morrison (Writer) (2005)

I had such high hopes. Guess there's some truth to not judging a book by its cover... but that won't stop me in the future. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Mechanically and genetically enhanced dog, cat, and rabbit escape the military experiment that’s been running them and try to find home/peace in a world that just wants to kill them. I’m verbally oriented enough that this word-light version of the standard tale didn’t do it for me, especially with all the blown-apart limbs etc. involved in the military tech. ( )
  rivkat | May 24, 2016 |
I read this and it made me bawl and then I waited a decade and it made me bawl again. My son is two, and in that sense is waaaay too much like a talking animal for this not to shock and sicken afresh, and reinscribe the vegetarianism I've found again since he was born (and make me so happy he doesn't eat amials but also to worry about how it's gonna be for him when he finds out his grandpa does and the cute kitten downstairs and what's wrong with those fish in the monger's window). In that sense my reaction to this is probably on the soppy saddo side of the spectrum, but I just--they're a cat and a dog and a rabbit who have been made into killing machines with limited language skills due to brainial implants, right, and it's like an ultraloyal, ultraviolent Incredible Journey or Milo and Otis, and of course the government sends out a monster made of a bull mastiff to destroy them, and I think of it crunching the rabbit's superhelmet and skull and the rabbit going fix--tt- fi- *k, and how much like Emmett that is when he falls and scrapes his knee and sees it and wails "FIX! FIIIIIIIIIX!" and, ah, we're all just scared animals and it doesn't bear thinking about too much. Just eschew flesh, calm the jitters, and maybe read this again in a decade or so--it's too prettily coloured a comic book for me to want to have it in the house with a toddler, given the way Quitely turns everything that crosses his pen into mangled meat inside, but when he's 12 maybe I'll give him this one and check in with him after. ( )
1 vote MeditationesMartini | Apr 8, 2016 |
CRYING ALL THE TEARS.

This is just the saddest-happiest thing ever. I already knew the dog lived before I started (I made my boyfriend read it before me because I refuse to read anything in which a dog dies because it is JUST TOO SAD) but that didn't make it any less heartbreaking. Favourite thing about it was the balance of the characters - the humans weren't caricature bad guys, the animals did some pretty scary shit. I just... I loved this. The art is absolutely gorgeous as well, if a little graphic in parts (in particular, the second issue has some panels that made me feel a little nauseous). The cat was pretty excellent, thought it seemed quite true to what I imagine cats to think (I don't like cats much generally). And the poor bunny seemed to have everything bad happen to it.

Well worth a look if you like intelligent comics. Is gud comic. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
CRYING ALL THE TEARS.

Well worth a look if you like intelligent comics. Is gud comic. ( )
  hoegbottom | Jan 30, 2016 |
Morrison, perhaps the greatest writer in comics today, endows his animals with synthesized cyborg speech in which they express their most basic desires for warmth, food and love, as well as their attempts to process their unnatural capacities for violence. "Bad dog," Bandit repeatedly scolds himself after taking down yet another soldier. Quitely's art consists of lucid images of mayhem and sweetness that, in the most impressive spreads, fractalize to express the way these animals "experience time and motion differently." It's a groundbreaking and bravura performance. This is Morrison's most accessible tale ever, and one that is destined to be a classic.
added by kristenn | editPublisher's Weekly (Jan 7, 2010)

Grant Morrison is sometimes criticized for favoring crazy ideas over storytelling, or for being confusing. This book, with neither of those flaws, is thus his best introduction for a new reader.

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quitely, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, JamieColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vinegar Tom, Mina, BB, Jarmara, Trudy, Stanley, Princess, Katinka, and the boys Toby and Cheesy. Thanks for the inspiration.

WE3 tells the unforgettable story of three innocent pets -- a dog, a cat and a rabbit -- who have been converted into deadly cyborgs by a sinister military weapons program. With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 have the firepower of a battalion between them. But they are just the programs prototypes and, now that their testing is complete, they're slated to be permanently decommissioned" until they seize their one chance to make a desperate run for freedom! Relentlessly pursued by their makers, the WE3 team must navigate a frightening and confusing world where their instincts and heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them, but a world, nonetheless, in which there is something called Home. Action-packed and heart-wrenching, WE3 is a new high mark from two of comics greatest talents. -- Publisher description

"Animals are being transformed into intelligent experimental weapons, and three in particular are trained to work together as a team known as WE3. When the animals formerly known as Bandit the dog, Tinker the cat, and Pirate the rabbit are decommissioned and condemned to death, their doctor/trainer decides to let them escape. What follows is a series of action-packed and heartbreaking chase and fight scenes between the lethal animals and the United States military. Compelling, moving, and disturbing, this is a thought-provoking work for mature readers"--Andrea Lipinski, School Library Journal.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,831,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible