We3 Deluxe Edition by Grant Morrison

We3 Deluxe Edition (original 2005; edition 2011)

by Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely (Illustrator)

Member:clfisha
Title:We3 Deluxe Edition
Authors:Grant Morrison
Other authors:Frank Quitely (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2011), Edition: Deluxe, Hardcover, 144 pages
Tags:comic, science fiction, animal testing, dogs, cats, rabbits, cyborg, 12 in 12, 2012

We3 by Grant Morrison (Writer) (2005)

CRYING ALL THE TEARS.

This is just the saddest-happiest thing ever. I already knew the dog lived before I started (I made my boyfriend read it before me because I refuse to read anything in which a dog dies because it is JUST TOO SAD) but that didn't make it any less heartbreaking. Favourite thing about it was the balance of the characters - the humans weren't caricature bad guys, the animals did some pretty scary shit. I just... I loved this. The art is absolutely gorgeous as well, if a little graphic in parts (in particular, the second issue has some panels that made me feel a little nauseous). The cat was pretty excellent, thought it seemed quite true to what I imagine cats to think (I don't like cats much generally). And the poor bunny seemed to have everything bad happen to it.

Well worth a look if you like intelligent comics. Is gud comic. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
The art was pretty good and I liked the characters, but I found it a bit challenging to read. I think I was also expecting something different. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
I happened to be in the library a day after this got randomly recommended to me, so on a whim I decided to see if they carried it. Surprisingly they did, which is a coincidence perhaps stranger than the strange timing of my library visit in the first place, at least in relation to the recommendation (I usually only go every couple months or so). So I took it out, going to check it out, but seeing how thin it was I decided to read it right there, and it was worth it.

I have to admit that when I checked the book description on goodreads the premise just seemed ridiculous and I had little desire to read it. So probably the strongest praise I can give the book is that it works. Indeed it worked so well that I wanted more, which is my chief complaint. It's really a short story of a graphic novel, and like most good short stories there are parts so intriguing that you wish they could have been fleshed out more. I could have stood for the whole thing to be fleshed out more.

But the simple story was good and gripping, and the drawings were wonderful. I'm a graphic novel novice so I don't really know what I'm talking about, but one thing that stood out to me was the snapshot quality of the pictures. Not in the sense that they were so clear and realistic, but rather that they depicted mere moments in the proceedings, each building onto the last, as if you were flipping through a photo album. I don't think I'm doing a very good job describing it so I'll stop, but suffice it to say that it was captivating and unique. And gory, quite gory.

I would definitely recommend this to people with odd taste in movies and literature. It's not necessarily a go-out-and-buy-me type book, but it's a great library read, or maybe if you're stuck in a mall and have a half hour or so to spare while you're waiting for a movie to start, or waiting for your table at the restaurant, or something else like that. ( )
  blake.rosser | Jul 28, 2013 |
CRYING ALL THE TEARS.

Well worth a look if you like intelligent comics. Is gud comic. ( )
  heterocephalusglaber | Apr 26, 2013 |
Morrison, perhaps the greatest writer in comics today, endows his animals with synthesized cyborg speech in which they express their most basic desires for warmth, food and love, as well as their attempts to process their unnatural capacities for violence. "Bad dog," Bandit repeatedly scolds himself after taking down yet another soldier. Quitely's art consists of lucid images of mayhem and sweetness that, in the most impressive spreads, fractalize to express the way these animals "experience time and motion differently." It's a groundbreaking and bravura performance. This is Morrison's most accessible tale ever, and one that is destined to be a classic.
added by kristenn | editPublisher's Weekly (Jan 7, 2010)

Grant Morrison is sometimes criticized for favoring crazy ideas over storytelling, or for being confusing. This book, with neither of those flaws, is thus his best introduction for a new reader.

Morrison, GrantWriterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Quitely, FrankIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grant, JamieColoristsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Vinegar Tom, Mina, BB, Jarmara, Trudy, Stanley, Princess, Katinka, and the boys Toby and Cheesy. Thanks for the inspiration.

WE3 tells the unforgettable story of three innocent pets -- a dog, a cat and a rabbit -- who have been converted into deadly cyborgs by a sinister military weapons program. With nervous systems amplified to match their terrifying mechanical exoskeletons, the members of Animal Weapon 3 have the firepower of a battalion between them. But they are just the programs prototypes and, now that their testing is complete, they're slated to be permanently decommissioned" until they seize their one chance to make a desperate run for freedom! Relentlessly pursued by their makers, the WE3 team must navigate a frightening and confusing world where their instincts and heightened abilities make them as much a threat as those hunting them, but a world, nonetheless, in which there is something called Home. Action-packed and heart-wrenching, WE3 is a new high mark from two of comics greatest talents. -- Publisher description

"Animals are being transformed into intelligent experimental weapons, and three in particular are trained to work together as a team known as WE3. When the animals formerly known as Bandit the dog, Tinker the cat, and Pirate the rabbit are decommissioned and condemned to death, their doctor/trainer decides to let them escape. What follows is a series of action-packed and heartbreaking chase and fight scenes between the lethal animals and the United States military. Compelling, moving, and disturbing, this is a thought-provoking work for mature readers"--Andrea Lipinski, School Library Journal.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible