El secreto de sus ojos by Eduardo Sacheri

El secreto de sus ojos (edition 2009)

by Eduardo Sacheri

Title:El secreto de sus ojos
Authors:Eduardo Sacheri
Info:Alfaguara (2009), Perfect Paperback

The Secret in Their Eyes by Eduardo Sacheri

English (9)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (1)  All languages (12)
From the book cover:

A retired detective revisits the most wrenching murder investigation of his career, and discovers not only the tenacious grip of revenge but also the enduring power of love.

What is Benjamín Chaparro going to do with his retirement? How will life have any meaning for him now? He finds that he will do what almost every retired cop does... obsess about the case that wasn't solved...the perpetrator that was never brought to justice. In Chaparro's case it was the brutal, rape and murder of a young woman that took place i 1968 in her bedroom only minutes after her husband had left for work. His attempts to write a book about the case, causes him to revisits every gory, frustrating details of the investigation. Reaching into the past, gives him cause to also remember all the beginnings. What was accomplished and on what had been long missing in the case as well as his secret love for Irene, then just an intern, now a high ranking and greatly respected judge. Past and present come together as this decades old mystery explores the dim lines between justice and revenge and makes a good man and a dedicated detective explore just how far he would be willing to go to right a wrong.

Eduardo Sacheri has created some great characters and has produced a story that is so close to real life that I had to check to see if this was based on a true story. Can't wait to see the movie. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I wasn't even born when the dirty war took place in Argentina. I was born during the Guatemalan Civil war and could relate to a whole lot of what was described in the book simply because of the atmosphere that even as a child, was quite palpable. The atmosphere of fear and that you might see people disappear.

I saw the movie first and it haunted me deeply and the book did the same, in a different manner. Of course there were a few things that were changed, but the story was still the same sad and haunting one that had captivated me years before.

It doesn't need to be a fast book and I loved how it unravelled slowly to show how an unsolvable mystery gets resolved. But also how there is no happy ending and how damaged everyone was by the crime that occurred.

It was a good book that left me thinking about it for days after. ( )
  helena-rd | Feb 29, 2016 |
Although this book had the potential to be captivating, gripping, intriguing, it was not; instead, I felt I had to slog through the entire story with no emotional connection with any of the characters and no shock or horror or curiosity - even when the "twist" at the end was revealed. I'm not sure who to blame for this. I suppose it could be the author that constructed a story too convoluted and dull to enjoy or, more likely, it was the translator who unwittingly stripped the passion that I suspect was in the original Spanish language version. This book was made into an Oscar-winning movie in 2010. Although I have not seen the movie, I suspect this may be one of those cases where the movie is better than the book. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
I have read this novel for the 2013 Global Reading Challenge, and, to be quite honest, didn't find the first 100 pages very easy going at all. The structure of the book took some getting used to.

Benjamin Chaparro, a recently retired court investigator, decides to fill his days with writing a book about the case which has most affected his working life. The case is the murder/rape in Buenos Aires of Liliana Colotto, the young wife of Ricardo Agustin Morales in May 1968.

It is well over three decades later when Chaparro retires and begins to write his book on a borrowed typewriter. As the story unfolds we learn not only how this case has stayed with him for all those years, how he has intermittently been in touch with the widowed husband, but also how in fact it impacted his whole working life.

The structure of THE SECRET IN THEIR EYES allows us to read the book that Chaparro is writing as he writes it, while he occasionally jumps out of writing mode, into present time, becoming part of the narrative that surrounds the writing of the book. As we enter the final 100 pages of the book, the author makes us surmise what the conclusion might be. The ending is stranger than I could ever have guessed.

So this is a book in which I changed my mind from tolerance to admiration for the cleverness of the plot. The plot takes place in part during Argentina's Dirty War (1976-1983), during which as many as 30,000 people disappeared. While this doesn't seem to directly impact on the plot, it does help to explain why a case might take so long to be resolved, if ever, and how stretched the forces of justice could be. My impression in reading the first 100 or so pages was of a literary style which softened as the plot progressed. ( )
  smik | Sep 12, 2013 |
I enjoyed reading this book very much. I especially thought the language was very thoughful and poetic, it just slid off the toungue as I read it aloud. It makes me wonder what was lost (or gained) in translation. The story had a fair amount of suspense, romance, drama and it definietely left me eager for more. I did think that there were some loose ends that I would have liked to have seen tied up. Also, there was a ton of opportunity for some action in the story but it went a little safe and left me feeling a touch unsatisfied. But I did like the book overall and can't wait to see the film next. ( )
  ColieCakes | Feb 27, 2013 |

Benjamín Chaparro is a retired detective still obsessed by the brutal, decades-old rape and murder of a young married woman in her own bedroom. While attempting to write a book about the case, he revisits the details of the investigation. As he reaches into the past, Chaparro also recalls the beginning of his long, unrequited love for Irene Hornos, then just an intern, now a respected judge.… (more)

30 wanted6 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,827,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible