Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't…

by Sarah Schmelling

1199150,198 (4.17)9
Member:EustaciaTan
Title:Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook
Authors:Sarah Schmelling
Info:Plume (2009), Paperback, 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:owned, Singapore, literature, humour

Ophelia Joined the Group Maidens Who Don't Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook by Sarah Schmelling

Didn't read it completely as to avoid spoilers for those books treated I haven't read yet. Anyways, most of it pretty hilarious! ( )
  borhap | Aug 27, 2013 |
Oh so enjoyable! I especially liked the Hamlet and Pride & Prejudice newsfeeds, and the Scrabulific smack talk between Hemingway, Faulkner, and Joyce. So clever. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
This was most excellent. Clever and funny. ( )
  amaraduende | Mar 30, 2013 |
I loved this book! I first saw it when I was still in IB English HL, and fell in love with the idea of parodying the great works. While I haven't studied, or even read, all of them, I (and my class) still had a lot of fun reading through the various facebook feeds. I would recommend this for those who love literature in general (and have a good sense of humour, although those two generally go together), or want a humorous introduction to the classics (perhaps as an introduction for a literature class?) ( )
  EustaciaTan | Oct 10, 2011 |
The worst thing I can say about this book is that it's going to become dated, fast. This is not because it's a badly written (far from it), but because Facebook is going to look very different in 5 or 10 years (perhaps even in one year), so readers may not understand the format.

However, the best thing I can say about this book is that it's a spot-on parody of both classic literature and modern culture. Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain engage in an epic "quip off," Humbert Humbert is playing Scrabble and can't stop spelling "Lolita" (while James Joyce is making up his own words and insisting that they be counted), and Holden Caulfield thinks that Facebook is full of phonies who won't pay attention to his status updates. Read it now, while you still get all the jokes. ( )
2 vote Katya0133 | Jul 6, 2011 |

Read Sarah Schmelling's posts on the Penguin Blog.

When humorist Sarah Schmelling transformed Hamlet into a Facebook news feed on McSweeney’s, it launched the next big humor trend—Facebook lit. In this world, the king “pokes” the queen, Hamlet becomes a fan of daggers, and Ophelia renounces her interest in moody princes. Now, what began as an internet phenomenon is a book. Ophelia Joined The Group Maidens Who Don’t Float: Classic Lit Signs on to Facebook is a clever spoof of the most-trafficked social networking website and a playful game of literary who’s who. The book brings more than fifty authors and stories from classic literature back to life and online, and it is sure to have book lovers and Facebook addicts alike twittering with joy.

From The Odyssey to The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Pride and Prejudice to Lolita, Schmelling brings the conventions of social networking—profile pages, status updates, news feeds, games and quizzes—to some of literature’s most well-known works, authors and characters. What would Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen or James Joyce post on their “walls”? What would Gulliver, Miss Havisham or Captain Ahab say in a status update? After William Shakespeare welcomes all of these players into his network, mayhem quickly ensues:

Elizabeth Bennet throws a sheep at Mr. Darcy Hamlet posts an event: A Play That’s Totally Fictional and In No Way About My Family Jane Eyre listens to “Hard Knock Life” on repeat The Lord of the Flies boys form a reunion group Ernest Hemingway questions the validity of the “Are you a real man?” quiz Mark Twain infiltrates Oscar Wilde’s profile page and challenges him to a “quip off” Oedipus works on his family tree

Following everyone from Frankenstein’s Monster to King Lear’s Fool, Charles Dickens to Virginia Woolf, Ophelia Joined The Group Maidens Who Don’t Float is a loving spoof of our literary favorites, and a hilarious collection for a twenty-first century generation of readers. Long live the Classics: 2.0!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:38 -0400)

When humorist Schmelling transformed "Hamlet" into a Facebook news feed, it launched the next big humor trend--Facebook lit. This hilarious book brings more than 50 authors and stories from classic literature back to life and online.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,110,327 books! | Top bar: Always visible