Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read…

Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps: How We're Different and… (1998)

by Allan Pease

English (11)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (15)
I'm giving the second star only for being anti-PC, otherwise it's a definitely one-star read. Superficial, repetitive, trying to be humourous in vain. Had they not mentioned internet and mobile phone, I would have thought it was written in the eighties. ( )
  Lucy_Skywalker | Apr 24, 2013 |
Alan and Barbara Pease are american body language experts and psychologists who travel all around the world to explore the differences between genders.
Their book uses biology and evolutionary psychology to explain the differences between male and female cultures.
As the main message of the book is that men and women cannot be made the same no matter how much politicians try and treating them identically causes problems. Our differences are biological and permanent and we would be happier if we accepted and adapted.
  teodor_toshkin | Nov 23, 2012 |
This was a quick book on the psychological and neurobiological basis for gender differences. The Peases help the reader to understand the difference between men and women and what to do to help them come together and communicate.

http://lifelongdewey.wordpress.com/2012/02/13/158-why-men-dont-listen-by-barbara... ( )
  NielsenGW | Feb 13, 2012 |
Overall this is an enjoyable and entertaining book. I picked it up because I saw it in the library and couldn't resist because of the title. It kind of points out things that we know already, but talks about them on a neurological level. However, the language is not overly scientific so that most adults can easily grasp the concepts. A fun read. ( )
  lizpatanders | Apr 4, 2011 |
Very interesting analyses of the differences between men and women. The authors (a married couple) cite a lot of research showing differences in hormones and brain structure and function and hypothesize that many of the differences go back to our primitive ancestors, when men were the hunters and warriors and women were the nurturers and caregivers. The fact that those roles are no longer very relevant explains many of the tensions modern couples have in forming and maintaining relationships. While there's a extensive bibliography at the end of the book, the fact that the authors don't actually cite many of their sources during their presentation may lead readers to question some of their claims. On the other hand, the book is a popular presentation (and a very readable one, interspersed with cartoons and jokes which help the authors make their points) rather than a scholarly work. ( )
  dickmanikowski | Jun 26, 2010 |
Op een zonnige ochtend gingen Bob en Anja met hun twee tienerdochters op weg naar het strand.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0767907639, Paperback)

Ever wonder why women can brush their teeth while walking and talking on various subjects while men generally find this very difficult to do? Why 99 percent of all patents are registered by men? Why stressed women talk? Why so many husbands hate shopping? According to Barbara and Allan Pease, science now confirms that "the way our brains are wired and the hormones pulsing through our bodies are the two factors that largely dictate, long before we are born, how we will think and behave. Our instincts are simply our genes determining how our bodies will behave in given sets of circumstances." That's right: socialization, politics, or upbringing aside, men and women have profound brain differences and are intrinsically inclined to act in distinct--and consequently frustrating--ways.

The premises behind Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps is that all too often, these differences get in the way of fulfilling relationships and that understanding our basic urges can lead to greater self-awareness and improved relations between the sexes. The Peases spent three years researching their book--traveling the globe, talking to experts, and studying the cutting-edge research of ethnologists, psychologists, biologists, and neuroscientists--yet their work does not read a bit like "hard science." In fact, the authors go to considerable lengths to point out that their book is intended to be funny, interesting, and easy to read; in short, this is a book whose primary purpose is to talk about "average men and women, that is, how most men and women behave most of the time, in most situations, and for most of the past."

Why Men Don't Listen, therefore, deals largely in generalizations, and this is bound to alienate some readers. "We don't beat around the bush with suppositions or politically correct clichés," the Peases claim. Those up for an irreverent and unapologetic take on why men and women just can't help themselves sometimes may just decide to read on. --Svenja Soldovieri

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:54 -0400)

A look at stereotypical gender differences answers questions about why men are turned on by things that turn women off, why blondes have high fertility rates, the link between PMS and sex drive, and why men are better at parallel parking.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible