The Demon's Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan

The Demon's Covenant

by Sarah Rees Brennan

I'm going to attempt to write a very coherent review... But i can tell you right now that i am going to fail miserably because this was, quite possibly, one of the greatest books i have ever read in my entire life.
No, i am not joking, kidding, or exaggerating.
Now, maybe you all remember when i read The Demon's Lexicon i finished it incredibly conflicted about whether or not I liked it. If you recall, i spent the entire book not being able to like Nick. I just couldn't like him.
Nick has become one of my favourite characters ever, and all it took was getting out of his head.
Truly, the moment i started this book, it was completley different than i remember The Demon's Lexicon being. Now, granted, it HAS been a while since i read that (i actually just ordered it. i plan on rereading it as soon as possible) but i fell in love with this book from basically page one.
Now, this could be due to Mae's overall badassery, but it also had to do with the fact that Nick was like a completely different character when seen from a different point of view. Because, let me explain, i ADORE the unemotional non human types (let's just say that Nick is the first character i've ever encountered that reminded me of one of my own..) but when you're inside that kind of characters head, it gets a little weird. Which must have been my initial problem with TDL.
So, now, let me fangirl judiciously. I should have warned you ahead of time, but alas, here it comes.
I adore everything this book chose to be. Sarah Rees Brennan has my everlasting adoration, respect, admiration, and obsessive creeper love. This book was dark, it had demons, it had magic, it had the most witty lines ever, it had me going from a whimpery ball of fangirl to laughing so hard tears were pouring from my eyes. Now, every so often i encounter a book that gets those kinds of emotions from me, but not like this. This was just bloody brilliant.
Now, you all know me. Me and characters. Every single character in this book was brilliant. Mae is the most badass, determined, strong willed, totally awesome protagonist i have ever seen. Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have more protagonists like her? PLEASE?! IS THIS TOO MUCH TO ASK!? She is, like, everything I've been looking for in a supernatural urban fantasy book. I'm so glad to have finally found her. I mean, i knew she was awesome from TDL, but i didn't realise that she was THIS awesome!
Jamie, oh, Jamie. Every single thing Jamie said was totally adorable and made me giggle. He is the perfect little brother, torn between two worlds kind of character.
Alan is the man after my own heart. There's a line in the book where it would be "Alan's dream to be locked in a library overnight." Oh yes, that too, is my dream. He was perfection as always, though i think he was the character that i yelled at the most. Possibly because i never knew what to expect from him.
And then Nick... oh, dear, bloody Nick. Nick the demon. Nick the character that has forever changed my opinion on urban fantasy. Nick the character that has given me so much hope for my own book because he is proof that this kind of character can be done. I can't even begin to tell you my love for this character. I mean, this is a total turn around from my review of TDL because i was SO CONFLICTED after TDL. I had no idea if i liked him or not. But, let me tell you this. I LOVE HIM.
The plot of this book was just perfect. Everything led up to an ending that left me in a whimpering, moaning, giggling, fangirling mess of a girl. It also left me absolutely RAVENOUS for the next (*gasp* last?! dear god no!) installment.
10/10 stars. I nearly want to give it 11. I think i will. I honestly was blown away by this book. i really was, it was totally brilliant. I can honestly say that this is one of my new favourite books. The wordplay was witty and ingenious, the battles were spectacular, the character dynamics were beautiful. I just loved every little bit of it.
Oh, i want the next one so badly >. ( )
  eaduncan | Sep 14, 2017 |
Note: This review references Demon’s Lexicon. I try to keep the big reveal a secret, but, proceed with caution if you have not read the first book.

It took a very long time for me to finish Demon’s Covenant by Sarah Rees Brennan. I should note, however, that this doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a good story.

I disliked the character of Mae in the first book - I found her little annoying. I know she was driven by her love for her brother, but she also accosted strangers and then practically threw herself at them and it seemed a little off. Unfortunately, Demon’s Covenant was written from Mae’s point of view. I was hoping I would gain insight into her character and thus, love her more, but that was not the case here and so the book dragged on for me.

Picking up where the Demon’s Lexicon left off, Demon’s Covenant finds Jaime acting strange, Nick and Alan’s relationship tense and Mae in the middle of boy trouble (something she manages to find with practically every male character in this book! Quite an accomplishment). We visit the familiar Goblin Market which is just as rich in it’s description and magic as in the first installation of the story. The Obsidian Circle and Gerald are back with the threat of a new mark that makes them even more powerful. Other familiar characters are back as well and we see a lot more interaction and relationship between Jaime, Mae and Annabel.

I’m not sure if this was because of Mae, however, I found that middle of the book dragged a bit. It seemed as though things were happening, but the plot was not moving forward. The ending, however, made up for what the middle lacked. Action-packed and with several heartwarming moments, I thought it was well executed. I kept thinking that Sarah was going to pull the rug out from under us - especially after the first book - and she did! While not on the same level as the ending of Demon’s Lexicon, (but let’s face it, who saw that end coming?) it came startlingly close and was every bit brilliant. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
Sequel to the excellent [b:The Demon's Lexicon|1829655|The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon Trilogy, #1)|Sarah Rees Brennan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275743148s/1829655.jpg|1829467]. It took me nearly six months to crack it open, because I was so terrified that I wouldn't like it.

FEAR NOT. review tbc. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
No, i am not joking, kidding, or exaggerating.
Oh, i want the next one so badly >. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
I did enjoy this very much but due to being a bit under the weather my only real coherent thought is that I was highly amused that the toddler who keeps getting away at the Goblin Market is named Toby, and that Mae actually delivers the line "Give me that child." Although there is sadly no Jareth involved...
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
For CHIARA - my best friend, and the best thing I ever found in a library
"Any minute now," Rachel said, "something terrible is going to happen to us."

Seventeen-year-old Mae feels that even though her world is out of control, she must find a way to protect the demon Nick from his brother Alan's betrayal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,502,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible