Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by…

Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners (original 1666; edition 2011)

by John Bunyan

Member:jvpearce
Title:Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners
Authors:John Bunyan
Info:Digireads.com (2011), Paperback, 88 pages
Collections:Kindle
Rating:**1/2
Tags:25 History & Biography

Grace abounding to the chief of sinners. by John Bunyan (1666)

Maybe it is just the modern world in which I grew up, but Mr. Bunyan's journey to conversion in Christ was a lot of work. Much more work than most faithful people I know seem to think it takes to become converted to Christ. Mr. Bunyan relates a fearful back and forth mental journey from desiring to be wicked to rejoicing in the saving love of Christ. He genuinely struggles with his desire to be saved and his fear that he will be found wanting. It inspired me to put more effort into my relationship with Christ - to examine my life more closely and not take for granted the easiness of obtaining grace. I also found it interesting that Mr. Bunyan's conversion was a long process. There is the impression "out there" that one must "accept" Christ and then that's it. I think Mr. Bunyan had it right. Man is a variable creature, and must be engaged in the process of conversion probably his whole life. Great book. ( )
1 vote tjsjohanna | Sep 1, 2009 |
Finally! I found it! A copy of Bunyan’s autobiography Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners. OK, I’ve been able to get it for years, but never for this cheap. $3.50 at a used bookstore in Royal Oak, MI. There it was, just sitting quietly on the shelf. So innocent, so unassuming. Lime green cover fading from either over use or neglect. I picked up the 10 books on top of it and pulled it out carefully. A modern English version too?! Score!

So far it’s both what I expected and filled with surprises. Because I love Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress I’ve heard a lot of folks make mention of his autobiography and highly recommend it. They were right. It is good. It’s an amazing chronicle of Bunyan’s struggle and vacillation between trusting God’s promises and believing Satan’s accusations. It sheds some great light on his upbringing and life before being drawn to Christ. It speaks about his marriage, his exposure to other Christians and his favorite hobbies as a young man. What I did not expect to read was how long his struggle to believe and be assured he was in Christ actually drug on. He went back and forth between great hope and utter despair for almost 87 pages (in my copy). He reflects on this struggle and is encouraged by how the Lord used it to teach him great things that would stay with him the rest of his journey toward the heavenly city. I am also pleasantly surprised to find out how much of his personal experience was drawn upon to write the worlds most famous allegory, Pilgrim’s Progress.

The book was great, I finished it a few days ago. Much of what Bunyan describes herein could’ve been written by me from my own conversion experience.
I highly recommend this.
added by R.I.F. | editPaul Dare, Paul Dare (Apr 16, 2010)

Children, grace be with you, Amen. I being taken from you in presence, and so tied up, that I cannot perform that duty that from God doth lie upon me to youward, for your further edifying and building up in faith and holiness, &c., yet that you may see my soul hath fatherly care and desire after your spiritual and everlasting welfare;
This is the single work - not editions which include other works of Bunyan.

Why is this in your 'Kittanning' collection?

This book presents the ageless spiritual journey of one man into true Christian faith. John Bunyan relates his personal experiences of the crises that brought him to the end of himself and to the merciful God. From his conversion and through many trials and temptations, Bunyan reveals how the grace of God was extended to him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:56 -0400)

You've heard his namenow read his classic spiritual autobiography. Here is John Bunyan's Grace Abounding, an important and powerful book abridged and updated for today's reader. Written more than three centuries ago, this Christian classic still speaks to readers, addressing concerns that trouble the human heart today just as they did in the 1600s. Grace Abounding gives an account of God's exceeding goodness in the life of his poor servant John Bunyanas well as Bunyan's call to the ministry and his imprisonment for that ministry. It's a powerful introduction to a giant of the faith, and an encouraging story of God's power to change people.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible