The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market…

The Value of Nothing: How to Reshape Market Society and Redefine Democracy (2009)

by Raj Patel

English (9)  Spanish (1)  All languages (10)
It hit a raw nerve for me about where I am in life and society, and I'm still trying to figure out how to describe that experience. I'd like to read it again and maybe make some notes as I go. Left with a vague sense of wanting to do something, but not enough of a strong direction of what exactly that ought to be. (That may just be about me.) Recommended with that reservation. ( )
  epersonae | Mar 30, 2013 |
I think Raj Patel described many of the issues we see today affecting the economy and the social marketplace. However, I fail to see any new ideas put forth here. We've heard these arguments about market externalities in books like Natural Capitalism and Omnivore's Dilemma. For me, while The Value of Nothingbrought up a lot of good points regarding failures of the current economic model, it doesn't provide the reader with anything novel. ( )
  jtp146 | Jan 16, 2012 |
An alternative look at the economy with suggestions about why and how to move away from a soley market-based system, with great examples and good historical notes. Patel is very convincing about the real costs of commodities in terms of impact on the climate, gender, population, education and food supply and how these should be factored in, or managed differently. ( )
2 vote CarterPJ | Jun 17, 2011 |
An interesting look at the interplay between markets and politics. It is well written, with several real-life examples of how things can work better when people have civil rights and an interest in local politics and environment.

It is easy and often even fun to read. The author relates behavioural experiements, stories from his childhood and draws on literary references to illustrate his points.

My only criticism is that I often couldn't tell where the book was going. It seems to meander down various paths -- but at least they are interesting paths. ( )
  LynnB | Mar 20, 2011 |
An eye-opener and pep talk for skeptics of "the-free-market-is-everything" position. ( )
  geoffreymeadows | Aug 4, 2010 |
If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics.

Patel shows how our faith in prices as a way of valuing the world is misplaced and reveals that our current crisis is not simply the result of too much of the wrong kind of economics but rather the larger failure of a democratically bankrupt political system. The solution he offers: discover democratic ways in which people, and not simply governments, can play a crucial role in deciding how we might share our world and its resources in common.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,277,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible