Rain by Don Paterson

Rain (2009)

by Don Paterson

A bit too fond of platitude, and a bit too formalist in structure (particularly with regards rhyme scheme, where he shows a strong love of rhyming couplets that most frequently works, in my opinion, to the poems' detriment). A handful of enjoyable works, but overall not to my taste.

And, as a computer person, the Forward Prize-winning "Love Poem for Natalie 'Tusja' Beridze", was simply painful. ( )
  g026r | Feb 20, 2012 |
That awareness of the viewing, thinking self is evident throughout Rain, Paterson's first collection since 2003's multi-awardwinning Landing Light. Where that book focused mainly on the poetic self and its various relationships with others - parents, lovers, children - here Paterson is more concerned with a kind of Platonic inquiry into the self and its relation to the physical world. "When you lift your hand or tongue", he asks in "Motive", "what is it moves to make you move?" The answer, in this poem, is a half-glimpsed deistic force, something transcendent but impersonal and quite indifferent to the petty concerns of humankind. We may be, each of us, trapped inside our own consciousness, yet there is something that "hurries on its course / outside every human head".
added by peterbrown | editThe Guardian, Adam Newey (Sep 19, 2009)

In an assembly of masterful lyrics and monologues, Paterson conjures a series of fables and charms that serve both to expose us to the unsettling forces within the world and simultaneously offer some protection against them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,046,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible