Black Jack, Volume 1 by Osamu Tezuka

Black Jack, Volume 1 (1987)

by Osamu Tezuka

The back of the book says that this is an adult book, but I have to say that I am not really sure why. There isn't really any crazy sex or violence. This was an intrigueing read. Black Jack is an interesting character, and while we are given plenty of background on him; I wish we were given more info on what makes him tick. Sometimes he is exceedingly selfish, other times he is incredibly kind, and there seems to be nor rhyme or reason regarding his decisions. Sometimes it seems to be a decision based upon the worthiness of the cause, other times it just seems random. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Black Jack is a doctor. But his scarred, patchwork face, forbidding demeanour and his own mysterious moral code have put him far beyond the pale of mainstream medical convention. Some think him nothing more than a backstreet black market charlatan, taking advantage of the weak and sick. He has no license. He charges exorbitant fees. He takes cases only for his own, often opaque, reasons. And he is a medical genius: the greatest surgeon who has ever lived.
I’m a sucker for ‘wandering hero’ stories, and Black Jack hits that spot in me exactly. The way Jack goes from place to place, cuts into situations and people, uses his godlike powers to alter them irrevocably and not always for the better – then leaves – appeals to me enormously. I love the stories’ abstruse, edge-of-unfeasible medical details. I also love the series’ occasional and always surprising elements of sci-fi and fantasy: there’s a story in the first volume in which Jack is called in to ‘heal’ a medical computer that, until it became ill, was so sophisticated that it could run a whole hospital and even perform operations – and if you like that, you’ll love the origin of Jack’s companion, Pinoko.
Most of all I love this series’ strong moral core. This is storytelling that isn’t afraid to tackle big themes, and do so with style and wit as well as passion.
Tezuka himself studied medicine: it’s obvious that Black Jack is a character who was close to his heart. And whenever I spoke to people in Japan about comics, it was Jack’s name that most often came up. Of all the characters Tezuka created I think it’s this one who will best continue to hold an appeal that crosses borders and generations. Black Jack is a manga classic, and I would recommend it to anybody and everybody. ( )
  othersam | Oct 25, 2012 |
One day, somewhere in Europe....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 193428727X, Paperback)

Black Jack is a mysterious and charismatic young genius surgeon who travels the world performing amazing and impossible medical feats. Though a trained physician, he refuses to accept a medical license due to his hatred and mistrust of the medical community's hypocrisy and corruption. This leads Black Jack to occasional run-ins with the authorities, as well as from gangsters and criminals who approach him for illegal operations.

Black Jack charges exorbitant fees for his services, the proceeds from which he uses to fund environmental projects and to aid victims of crime and corrupt capitalists. But because Black Jack keeps his true motives secret, his ethics are perceived as questionable and he is considered a selfish, uncaring devil. The Black Jack series is told in short stories. Each volume will contain 16-20 stories, each running approximately 20-24 pages in length.

Black Jack is recognized as Osamu Tezuka's third most famous series, after Astro Boy and Kimba, the White Lion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:28 -0400)

Follows the experiences of Doctor Black Jack, a physician who is able to work miracles but is unlicensed to practice due to mysterious circumstances.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,879,171 books! | Top bar: Always visible