Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula (1897)

by Bram Stoker

19,41638382 (3.95)3 / 1275
1890s (19)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Green Mile Book 2: The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (362)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (383)
so much better than all the vampires book that have come out recently. Good story, but a few open ends.
Interesting style to tell the story but using journal entries and letters. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book should be required reading before anyone is exposed to vampire anything! While Stoker did not “invent” the idea of vampires, his book is the basis of the modern definition as we know it today. What a pleasure it must have been for the readers in 1897, largely new to the concepts, to have read with such suspense the horrors of Jonathan Harker as he unknowingly brings himself into Count Dracula’s castle. Dum, dum, dummm!!

Opening with Jonathan who is the legal rep managing the Count’s property purchase in London, the plot thickens mid-section with all key characters introduced including the now famous Prof. Van Helsing, the newly inducted vampire, poor beautiful Lucy, and the team who will then become the vampire hunters – Dr. Seward, Arthur (Lucy’s betrothed), Mina (Jonathan’s wife), and Quincy (the lone American in the story), and finally the hunt – all the way to Transylvania. The sceneries, the descriptions of the Count’s abilities/limitations, the elegant Victorian English that is not Austen/Dickens but describing horror and fear and lost – what is there not to like about this unique piece of literature? Buy an edition that has footnotes to comprehend the geography and regional English of that time.

The book is narrated via journals from selected individuals only but nonetheless covers all characters well, all of whom I found immensely likeable – perhaps easy to feel for heroes. The narratives permeate with an uplifting spirit, “…the world seems full of good men – even if there are monsters in it.” Lucy’s beauty was described with such flourish that I wish I can see for myself and imagine the heart break when her features turn to those of a vampire. Stoker doesn’t elaborate on the Count’s point-of-view, and one may even argue that his character is not well developed but doesn’t that keep the Count even more mysterious?

Now, be sure to avoid individuals who are pale, tall, thin, red eyes, mouth full of white, sharp teeth, with an ability to crawl down walls head-first, turn to mist, snow, commands wolves, and can’t cross the water. :)

Favorite character: Mina Harker – Easily the most loving, intelligent, thoughtful, caring person, she had an unintended leadership role, having compiled all the timeline of facts and finding the clue to track the Count.
Least Favorite character: None – not even the Count

Some Quotes:
On America – I don’t know why but I laughed. BTW, he is Texan:
“What a fine fellow is Quincey! I believe in my heart of hearts that he suffered as much about Lucy’s death as any of us; but he bore himself through it like a moral Viking. If America can go on breeding men like that, she will be a power in the world indeed.”

On Faith – Purportedly from Mark Twain who Stoker knew:
“… ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue’… He meant that we shall have an open mind, and not let a little bit of truth check the rush of a big truth…”

On Truth:
“If it be not true, then proof will be relief; at worst it will not harm. If it be true! Ah, there is the dread; yet very dread should help my cause, for in it is some need of belief.”

On Being a Man – I rather liked this definition:
Van Helsing on Jonathan: “…After reading his account of it I was prepared to meet a good specimen of manhood, but hardly the quiet, business-like gentleman who came here to-day.”
Mina on Jonathan: “He was never so resolute, never so strong, never so full of volcanic energy, as at present. It is just as that dear, good Professor Van Helsing said: he is true grit, and he improves under strain that would kill a weaker nature. He came back full of life and hope and determination…”

On Sorrow – Arthur finally breaks down over Lucy:
From Mina: “It seemed to me that all he had of late been suffering in silence found a vent at once. He grew quite hysterical, and raising his open hands, beat his palms together in a perfect agony of grief. He stood up and then sat down again, and the tears rained down his cheeks. I felt an infinite pity for him, and opened my arms unthinkingly. With a sob he laid his head on my shoulder and cried like a wearied child, whilst he shook with emotion.”

On Intellect – Eek. This made me cringe a bit, despite it being a compliment on a female.
From Prof Van Helsing: “Ah, that wonderful Madam Mina! She has man’s brain – a brain that a man should have were he much gifted – and a woman’s heart. The good God fashioned her for a purpose, believe me, when He made that so good combination.” ( )
1 vote varwenea | Dec 7, 2014 |
Review: This is the original story and it is quite different from what is commonly shown in movies. I think it is much more interesting and a great deal scarier. ( )
  DrLed | Nov 30, 2014 |
This classic gothic horror is really quite a restrained read. Dracula is mostly off stage, lurking in the shadows, terrorising the narrators without confronting them. It's quite strange reading it, knowing from the start what Dracula is, and what his powers and weaknesses are, whereas the narrators have to work this out as they go along, as I assume readers did too when it was first published. I found Van Helsings flowery pidgin English a bit irritating, but otherwise found it very readable and very much enjoyed it. ( )
  AlisonSakai | Nov 20, 2014 |
The strangest thing while reading it was how, although I've never read it before (nor seen any of the movies) I knew about 80% of the story already. Not the details, but the general flow - and particularly, I knew more about Dracula than the hunters did. One very annoying patch in the middle where they all go incredibly dumb (and sexist - but that's in character) and thereby prolonged the story - it reads way too much like author fiat to me. The language is a little opaque, but not too bad - my edition had a _lot_ of footnotes, about half of which were unnecessary for me (I knew what that Latin tag was, or what the reference to a place or an event was - or the slang and dialect). Glad I read it, though I doubt I'll bother to reread. Oh, and a couple other things - I have no idea why the popular imagination picked on Van Helsing as the action hero in recent years. He was more the Yoda type - the teacher and supplier-of-weapons, not in the forefront of battle. Quincey Morris should have been the one, but Stoker went and killed him off...I guess that was an insurmountable obstacle. On the other hand, I had the impression (again, from general cultural knowledge) that Renfield was a willing assistant to Dracula (an Igor); he's disgusting, certainly, but he did do his best to resist and refuse the Count. And paid dearly for it. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 2, 2014 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible