Dracula (Enriched Classics Series) by Bram…

Dracula (Enriched Classics Series) (original 1897; edition 2003)

by Bram Stoker

20,92743969 (3.94)3 / 1415
Member:wizardluggage
Title:Dracula (Enriched Classics Series)
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:Pocket (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 528 pages

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

1890s (35)

English (411)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (434)
Preface
Chronology
Introduction
Further Reading
A Note on the Text

--Dracula

Appendix I: Bram Stoker's Correspondence with Walt Whitman (1872-6)
Appendix II: Charlotte Stoker's Account of 'The Cholera Horror' in a Letter to Bram Stoker (c. 1875)
Appendix III: Bram Stoker's Article 'The Censorship of Fiction' (1908)
Appendix IV: Bram Stoker's Interview with Winston Churchill (1908)
Notes
  E.P.G | May 30, 2016 |
It's Dracula. It's goddamned Dracula. Do I really need to comment on the plot of Dracula?

Well, actually . . .

The Dracula story that comes to everyone's mind is a near-homeopathic dilution, being based mostly on the Saturday morning cartoon version of a film of another film of a stage play. Kenneth Hite recently published essay, The Thrill of Dracula, impressed on me that not a single damn movie had even gotten it right!

I AM LOOKING AT YOU, COPPOLA.

So, what do you actually get? You get the classic opening part in Transylvania where Harker is entrapped inside Castle Dracula by an initially friendly and talkative Count. From there, the middle segment is our heroes gradually realizing that a nefarious supernatural evil has gatecrashed England’s shores, and the book rounds out with the great chase across Europe.

I still think it's effective, ever after all these years. Stoker knows how to set a scene, and the entrance of vampiric Lucy, for example, is still dripping with unearthly eeriness. Still, aside from the great prose, you get to see the original version of a story that hasn't been faithfully translated into any major media, which guarantees surprises.

Things that jumped out at me:
-Dracula's a lot more overtly Satanic, and by "overtly Satanic" I mean Van Hellsing outright says "HE TOTALLY SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE DEVIL AT THIS EXACT PLACE."

-Dracula's powers are broader than modern media has portrayed him, with subtly different limitations and weaknesses. I've never seen a movie try to show him as a moonbeam of glowing dust motes with a straight face.

-There is a wolf named Berserker.

-Dracula's brides are gigantic cyphers with no background or even names. Now I want to see what people have done with them.

-The book is definitely Dracula Vs. SCIENCE! Blood-transfusions, telegraphs, and trains are lovingly shown in the light a CSI show gives to its Star Treky forensic machines.

-It's really incongruous to hear Van Helsing praise Dracula's cunning in one breath and then say that he can't understand train schedules because of Drac's "child-brain."

-There is a wolf named Berserker.

-Dracula is never staked through the heart. Make of that what you will.

-Mina Harker, Dracula’s most famous victim, never records her impressions of her own vampiric assault. That’s a damn shame.

-There's brilliant Dracula films lurking inside the text that no one has ever made. The ship that carries the Count to England and gets massacred was almost a film a few years ago; I dearly wanted to see The Voyage of the Demeter released. Also, someone make a thriller that focuses on the Tom Clancy/Jason Bourne-style cross-continent hunt for Dracula and the fight against his minions. Please, please make Dracula the MacGuffin That Monologues.

Should you read Dracula? I think so. Even if the beats are so familiar, the text rewards decades of interpretation. This gets you in at the ground floor of a movement. It's funny to realize the stock vampire tropes we have today were M. Night Shyamalan-level plot twists when first published.

And afterwards, check out the espionage-themed director's cut in The Dracula Dossier: Dracula Unredacted, hear what academia says in Dracula: The Vampire And The Critics, or see the insane deleted side scenes implied by The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula.

I have to go to bat (heh) for this specific edition. From the leather cover to the red bookmark ribbon, it's classy. This is my designated family copy of Dracula, and that's the best endorsement I could give.

. . .

On a tangentially related note, in order to beat Dracula on the first Castlevania, I had to leave my Ninetendo Entertainment System on for a week. It sat in the corner of my living room like a Ghostbusters Containment Grid, containing the Christopher Lee homage I would spend a half hour each day fighting after school.

That was in 2011.

I thought you should know. ( )
1 vote K.t.Katzmann | May 29, 2016 |
This is the third time I've tried "reading" this book and, honestly, I never would have made it through if I weren't listening to the audio book this time and if I hadn't thrown out my back and been forced to lie in bed for three days. The beginning part is quite good: Jonathan Harker in the gothic castle, Dracula climbing like a lizard down the stone walls, the wolves, the beautiful vampire sirens. This part of the story is compelling, but then the book drags and drags and drags. The descriptions, the fawning over female characters, the unending journal entries and memorandums....the rather disappointing ending. Around hour twelve I thought I wasn't gonna make it, but I had wasted too much time by then and I was committed to finishing the mighty Dracula. I actually feel somewhat accomplished, but it's a guarantee that I will never read this again.
  CarinaRodrigues | May 18, 2016 |
Unlike most people, I have never seen a Dracula movie. So I did not really have any preconceived ideas about what this story would be.

Very Gothic, dark and moody, but not scary. The reading level is much lower than I expected (other than the many references to other works and the bible--yay for endnotes in my edition). And now I know who Van Helsing is.

Lucy is the helpless girly girl, Mina is the capable modern woman, Arthur/Lord Godalming is the mourning titled man, Quincey Morris is the Texan-with-a-capital-T, Dr Seward is the doctor/psychologist who can't put 2 and 2 together, and Johnathan is the lawyer and devoted husband. Stereotypes abound. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
I liked getting into the original. The novel is interesting and a nice window into the time that it was written. This is another example of the book being much better than the movie. ( )
  Marc_Mccune | Apr 11, 2016 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
This book is in public domain in the USA and the e-book is available free online ...

From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.
Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.
AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,956,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible