Dracula (Modern Library) by Bram Stoker

Dracula (Modern Library) (original 1897; edition 1897)

by Bram Stoker

18,742None88 (3.95)3 / 1198
Member:sturlington
Title:Dracula (Modern Library)
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:Modern Library (1996), Hardcover with dustjacket
Collections:Your library, Classics Collection
Tags:Monsters--Ghosts--Supernatural, Juvenile, Horror, Romania, vampires, immortality, monsters in literature, 1800s, DK-WRD, movie, edition (Modern Library), unreviewed

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Recently added byalexybabes1905, private library, thegreenmikado, wds4, aancevski, leslie.eiben, AprilAnn0814
Legacy LibrariesRobert E. Howard
19th century (467) bram stoker (119) British (137) British literature (178) classic (1,038) Classic Literature (125) classics (764) Dracula (323) ebook (163) England (131) English literature (126) epistolary (116) fantasy (408) fiction (2,331) gothic (623) horror (2,175) Irish literature (92) Kindle (106) literature (385) novel (870) own (94) read (296) size:large (286) size:medium (213) supernatural (128) to-read (132) Transylvania (143) unread (126) vampires (2,248) Victorian (235)
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (deathbykleenex)
    deathbykleenex: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    The Green Mile Book 2: The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (340)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (361)
I re-read Dracula last month in response to asking my twitter buddies what they thought of the journal entry style of the book. I'm glad I re-read it (this is the 3rd time), it entertained & re-inspired. Also, I wanted to be up to speed for https://twitter.com/#!/DraculaBites which starts tomorrow! ( )
  rubymadden | Mar 22, 2014 |
The book was filled with unnecessary, long, drawn out conversations. The overall plot was the only thing that kept me reading. ( )
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
  Dnaej | Mar 14, 2014 |
I have a love hate relationship with this book. I was forced to read it twice in my life once in high school and again in college. I hated being forced to read this book but in the end I didn't hate the actual book itself. My college class gave me a different perspective of the story which allowed me to enjoy it more. ( )
  mwohlfrom | Feb 25, 2014 |
For some time I had considered reading Dracula, but not being interested in the modern vampire and zombie movies and television programs I avoided it until a year ago. I decided to read some of the classics and chose this one because I had seen the Dracula movie long ago and wanted to be able to say I had read the book. I found it on YouTube and began by listening to it, but then found it for free on Kindle so finished it that way – which was better for me.

This story so captivated me I had to keep reading. Bram Stoker’s writing style and beautiful use of language is thrilling to read, and the characters he created made for such a good story. The only problem was that I had to put the book down when it got late into the evening. It freaked me out a little! Not that I believe Dracula to be real but Stoker’s brilliant writing and settings really spooked me! I couldn’t read it after dark. Now that is good writing. I am so glad I read this book.

The story is written like a diary but with each person writing from their own perspective. If that sounds boring or as if it would be hard to follow, it isn’t at all. It makes it very interesting. The reader wants to keep reading to know what is going on since last hearing from each character, where is Dracula in his plotting, who else is going to meet with trouble at his design, how are they going to defeat him.

Points of interest:

Other titles Stoker had for this book were The Dead Un-Dead, and The Un-dead, before deciding on Dracula
His main character was called Count Wampyr until Stoker came across the name Dracula while researching for the book
Dracula is an old story, but not quite the original vampire story since Stoker borrowed some details from a couple of previous authors, but he built on that and made it better.

Vampire stories told now could not be what they are without Bram Stoker’s Dracula. If you think you know about vampires from what is currently written, do yourself a favour and read Dracula for the ‘real’ story, even though it’s fiction. :) I don’t believe you will be disappointed. ( )
  Polilla-Lynn | Feb 12, 2014 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible