Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula (original 1897; edition 2004)

by Bram Stoker, Brooke Allen (Introduction)

19,61938782 (3.95)3 / 1311
Member:KingRat
Title:Dracula
Authors:Bram Stoker (Author)
Other authors:Brooke Allen (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Digital copies, To read
Tags:fiction, horror, Barnes and Noble Classics Series

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    The Green Mile Book 2: The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.

1890s (16)

English (365)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (386)
This is one of those books you must remind yourself of the time it was written and the context. When this was written in the 1800s, this book probably frightened the bejesus out of people, but after the shock society from the 1970s on (yes, I am referring to the Exorcist), this book is tame, although interesting.

The writing style of the time and the amount of detail made this book a little difficult to comprehend and a little boring. The approach of the writer to use diary and letter correspondence to move the story forward was both odd and unique. Do people have diaries any more? Oh yeah, I think they call them Facebook! ;).

The book is a widely read classic so it stands on its own merits.

One thumb up is all from me. ( )
  branjohb | Mar 15, 2015 |
" ... suffers by excess." In "Some Remarks on Ghost Stories" in The Bookman (December 1929)
  MontagueRhodesJames | Feb 26, 2015 |

A very enjoyable reread of the fundamental vampire novel, which I guess I read first when I was about 15 and again when I was about 30; I am now 45. It remains a rollicking good story, as our heroes (a lawyer, a lord, a psychiatrist, an American, a weird Dutchman and a beautiful woman) chase to the end of Europe to prevent foreign evil from contaminating the purity of the heart of Empire. You can read all kinds of political agendas into it, and you are probably meant to.

One point in Stoker's favour is that Mina Murray, later Mina Harker, actually has rather an active role despite needing to be rescued (and actually it's her husband who is most in need of rescuing at the end of the first section of the book). She types up all the notes and distributes them; she knows the railway timetables from Varna (pretty damn impressive); her telepathic link with Dracula allows the team to guess where he is; and the men make a mistake, and admit it is a mistake, when they try to keep information from her delicate ears. Of course the other female characters who get turned by Dracula (including Mina's friend Lucy) are much more passive, but I thought Mina's role worth noting.

After an early reference to a Kodak camera startled me, clanwilliam pointed out that the book is all about technology - the camera, the phonograph, the typewriter, the railway trains. But this isn't rationality alone defeating superstition - our heroes also use garlic, crucifixes and consecrated Hosts (this in a book by an Irish Protestant!) alongside the latest tech. It's about the forces of good, with technology and teamwork, using all means at hand to defeat an individualist, primitive evil. (One of the more chilling moments is when they realise that Dracula is strong enough to hump his own coffin about the place; he works best without allies, and consumes his servants.)

Now that I know the Balkans and Eastern Europe to an extent, I was interested to check off the extent to which Stoker used reality for his setting (I believe that he never visited what is now Romania himself). Various people (including Ken MacLeod) have pointed out that all this vampire stuff gives the historically liberal and pluralist lush arable territory of Transylvania a bad name; the more isolated and geographically challenging Bukovina is the more likely location for the castle. I'm also a bit dubious about the eastward spread of the Czechs - I think Stoker meant Hungarians there. But he namechecks several local delicacies which I have eaten myself. I note that Harker takes the western route, tied into normal business practices of Central Europe, when he approaches the castle at the start of the book, whereas the final campaign is waged from the less developed and more obscure south-east.

There are some incongruities. Dracula has a moustache; I can never quite get over that. Also Stoker's ear for accents is not unerring; while I will accept his Cockney, his Whitby yokels seem to me to be under some Irish influence, and Van Helsing does not speak like any native Dutch speaker I have ever met (see my pedantic comment). I also don't quite understand why Dracula first imprisons Harker and then lets him go, except that the plot needed Harker's diary to get back. These are not fatal points.

There is probably more to say about deviance in general, and also Lucy's love life (is her vampirism punishment for having three boyfriends?) But I am out of space. Read it, if you haven't. ( )
  nwhyte | Jan 21, 2015 |
Still love this book. Gothic horror at it's finest. No matter how many times I read it I still enjoy it. ( )
  Lucifey | Jan 10, 2015 |
so much better than all the vampires book that have come out recently. Good story, but a few open ends.
Interesting style to tell the story but using journal entries and letters. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Dec 9, 2014 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,299,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible