Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula (original 1897; edition 2004)

by Bram Stoker, Brooke Allen (Introduction)

21,37744863 (3.95)4 / 1461
Authors:Bram Stoker (Author)
Other authors:Brooke Allen (Introduction)
Info:Barnes & Noble Classics (2004), Paperback, 448 pages
Collections:Digital copies, To read
Tags:fiction, horror, Barnes and Noble Classics Series

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203, Morteana)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    Dracula: Biography of Vlad the Impaler by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Varney the Vampyre or The Feast of Blood by James Malcolm Rymer (Sylak)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)

1890s (36)

English (424)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (5)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (447)
Where to start? First, one should certainly read Dracula a lot earlier in life than I did. Of course, much of the story seems familiar because of all the film versions over the years. And Stoker is an engaging writer, so reading this book is never a chore, despite its many flaws, namely:

1) The incessant proclmations of undying friendship between the characters who are trying to track down and destroy Dracula. This gets really tiring after about the hundredth time.
2) The willingness of the other characters to just go along blindly with what Van Helsing asks them to do in the fight to save Lucy and to withhold their questions. Asking those questions and Van Helsing answering them honestly would of course have probably saved Lucy's life and severely impacted the rest of Stoker's plot!
3) The character of Dracula, who except for a few intriguing appearances early in the novel during Jonathan Harker's stay in his castle, is pretty much off-stage for the rest of the novel. Since he is much more interesting than the characters who are on stage, this is a very bad calculation on Stoker's part, or maybe he just wasn't up to actually bringing the character to life well enough to justify the history the other characters discover about Dracula. An obvious comparison here is Hannibal Lecter--imagine any of Thomas Harris's novels--especially the early ones--if Lecter were limited to just a few meancing appearances and a bit of ranting.
4) The endless repetition and unnecessary detail. This would have been a great 250-page novel if someone had just cut out all the chaff.
5) And, really not lastly, but most importantly, has there ever been a more annoying character than Van Helsing? He lets Lucy die because for some reason he can't bring himself to tell those he has asked to help protect her that she will turn into a vampire if they fail. I would think that with that knowledge, they would have been a little more careful about keeping watch over her. And for that matter, why don't they put her on a train for Scotland or somewhere? And his incessant babble and mangling of the English language really get old, too.

There are other offenses that Stoker commits, but the amazing thing is that the basic framework of the story is strong enough to survive them all. The atmosphere is well done and the various esoteric details that fix the time and place of the story are a great asset--although my Barnes & Noble edition could have dispensed with a few of the more obvious footnotes. It is easy to see, however, why so many filmmakers and other authors have set out to improve on the original story. Still, I suspect readers will keep coming back to Stoker as long as anyone reads at all..... ( )
  datrappert | Oct 17, 2016 |
I have a hard time reading books written in journal/letter writing style, however, this book was truly worth it.

Despair has its own calms.
--Bram Stoker (Dracula p 47)
How well the man reasoned; lunatics always do within their own scope.
-- Bram Stoker (Dracula p 77)
For life be, after all, only a waitin’ for somethin’ else than what we’re doin’; and death be all that we can rightly depend on.
-- Bram Stoker (Dracula p 80)
All men are mad in some way or the other.
-- Bram Stoker (Dracula p 128) ( )
  nicolewbrown | Oct 10, 2016 |
So, this is one of those times I am not quite sure how to rate a book. Did I enjoy the story? Yes, aspects of it. Did I feel a connection to the characters? Hmmm ..... not so much. Do I understand why this is a classic? Probably, since the eventual popularity of the story paved the way for a whole subgenre dedicated to vampiric characters (vampire literature). However, after doing some research, it seems vampire literature didn't orginate with Bram Stoker. The Vampyre; A Tale by John William Polidori and Varney the Vampire by James Malcolm Rymer and Thomas Peckett Prest preceeded the publication of Dracula by 50+ years.

I knew very little about the story before beginning, as I have not viewed movie versions and didn't even read the book synopsis. My decision to read it was more based on curiosity as to why this particular vampire story is a classic. Well, and it seemed that everyone else has read it at some point. :) Also, for full disclosure, I am not a huge horror fiction fan and often only read one or two books in the genre each year.

The epistolary format was fine and the different points of views often lent itself to enhancing the story. Overall, I enjoyed the beginning chapters that focused on Jonathan Harker's visit to Count Dracula's castle in the Carpathian Mountains. Later on, the focus of the story shifted to other characters in England and the narrative, within some of the chapters beyond that point, seemed too melodramatic for my liking.

I should mention that I listened to part of Dracula through an Audible version narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, etc. The narration was excellent and actually made the story more interesting. For readers who primarily listen to books, I would highly recommend this version of Dracula.

Rating: 3.5 stars (rounded up to 4) for the novel. ( )
1 vote Lisa805 | Oct 8, 2016 |
Gift from Gray 01-07-2016
  trexm5qp7 | Oct 7, 2016 |
I know this is a classic and I appreciate the writing style but I had some struggles getting through it. The speech patterns combined with a foreign language syntax forced me to read several passages more than once to get the events clear. That said, the suspense was enormous and built slowly and wonderfully. The atmosphere of the time period was described thoroughly so the reader understood the context. I see why this is a classic novel of suspense and I'm glad I persevered. ( )
1 vote bcrowl399 | Aug 29, 2016 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

Current discussions

Shared read of Dracula by Bram Stoker in 2016 Category Challenge

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,721,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible