Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula (original 1897; edition 2011)

by Bram Stoker

19,98639279 (3.94)3 / 1338
Member:jimmorrison
Title:Dracula
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:SoHo Books (2011), Paperback, 364 pages

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    Green Mile book 2: The Mouse on the Mile: The Green Mile, part 2 (Green Mile) by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)

1890s (18)

English (371)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (392)
Reading Dracula for the first time this summer, I was coming face to face with a sensational classic of the Gothic horror genre. Popular media has ruthlessly tampered with the image of supernatural creatures to the point where there has been a major severing between the original images of Dracula, zombies and Frankenstein’s monster, and their recent adaptations in films, literature and comics. For this reason, it was a pleasure to read of Dracula in its original form – his traits such as his shape-shifting ability and genealogical history colored him in a manner much more intimate than I had imagined.

The novel’s narration rests in the hands of multiple people, beginning with Jonathan Harker, a young man who is sent to Dracula’s castle in Transylvania (in northwestern Romania) as a real estate agent. It is Harker who first discovers the supernatural behavior of Dracula soon after he becomes imprisoned in the castle. Correspondence between him and his wife Mina eventually introduces more character, and a death soon demands that Harker and his friends investigate into the mysterious fang-like markings left on the person’s neck.

Dracula is a respectably long read – fortunately, it is the abundance of dialogues that pulls the story along. Nevertheless, the lack of development in Dracula’s character was a grand disappointment to me. I suppose I was expecting something similar to Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, which was a mistake on my part – once you read a masterpiece like that, it’s hard to recover!

Of course, this novel is a product of its time – the values embedded in Victorian culture at the turn of the nineteenth century are freely reflected in Dracula, especially those concerning women, and the purity, naiveté, and nurturing values they were expected to uphold. The lustfulness that overtakes female figures attacked by Dracula is a fascinating and endless source of study, though unfortunately there is not enough space to fully deconstruct them in this review.

In essence, Dracula stands as a memorable piece of Gothic horror literature, and it naturally calls upon the reader to discuss and deconstruct it in full detail, but as a reading experience it offers nothing short of the ordinary. It’s a classic, so my recommendation is to read it for that reason. ( )
1 vote themythbookshelf | Aug 8, 2015 |
Count Dracula has been happily feeding on the local peasantry for many years, when, presumably enraged by the rise of the British Middle Class, he relocates to feed on our women. Some brave Middle Class souls unite to vanquish him. Harker, who survives his 1st encounter with the Count is subsequently promoted from lower Middle Class clerk to Middle-middle Class "Master" as Dracula feeds on the slightly richer woman of leisure, Lucy, who has presumed to marry into the aristocracy. Just for laughs, let's contrast the effectiveness of the Middle Class Doctors, Van Helsing and Seward with the relative uselessness of Lord Godalming. I know Arthur deals decisively with Lucy but undergoing this trial of fire only serves him right. Doubtless he has been a parasite on the Middle Classes, figuratively sucking their blood (and nicking our women) just as Dracula has been doing literally. Honourable mention must go here to Quincy, that product of the classless society. He's naturally a sidekick but he steps up to the plate when required, no doubt because Stoker was rather fond of the Americans. I'm sure I didn't read the novel this way last time and perhaps in part it's this shapeshifting quality which lends foundation to it's classic status and ensures such widespread appeal. Yes, I know: this reading says more about the reader than the Middle Class Stoker (I'm also Middle Class).

It's epistolic, which is frankly rather a brave choice, considering that you always know that whoever's diary you are currently reading with survive long enough to write it; and that the paucity of epistolary novels in English hardly allows you to research the form exhaustively.

Harker's Journal, which opens the novel is particularly well done, pulling you into the locality and dealing marvellously with Harker's psychological position as he knows himself to be in deep water but tries to avoid provoking the Count. Other passages sacifice this verisimilitude. The newspaper report describing the Count's landing at Whitby for example simply doesn't ring true. It contains such a wonderful descriptive passages however that I forgive Stoker as readily as Van Helsing would forgive apparently anyone their flaws.

On the subject of Van Helsing, this has to be THE most annoying character I have ever encountered in fiction. He goes on and on, page after page, about how wonderful and noble everyone he meets is and I find myself wishing those reporting his speech would just summarise, for the love of God! This book would run to 300 pages and loose nothing if he would just PLEASE shut up.

Lucy's blood transfusions. The concept of blood groups wasn't discovered until 1901, and this being an 1897 publication I find it hard to believe that four such operations wouldn't have killed her anyway. Again, I forgive Stoker as the concept of blood sharing sits so well with the artistry of the novel.

All told, a great novel, thought provoking in more ways than I've mentioned here, and tremendous fun. ( )
  Lukerik | Jun 12, 2015 |
I absolutely loved Dracula. Although I found it quite a difficult read, it is now one of my favourites. I've also found it quite hard to write this review because it's such a classic. It's why it has taken me so long to get this posted - I finished reading it weeks ago.

Dracula is told mainly via the diary entries of Jonathan Harker, Mina Murray, Dr John Seward, Lucy Westenra and Dr Van Helsing. This helps to build up a complete picture of what occurs and shows clearly how each character contributes to the investigation. The narration, in essence, left no stone unturned. In places the plot was quite slow, i.e. when a character was travelling, but it was also fast at points too. The language was at times quite difficult to get my head round but it was written beautifully. Like many of the old classics the description was unreal.

I liked all the characters. I really liked how Mina was portrayed as being rather clever and that this lead to the men actively including her in the investigation. Jonathan is extremely brave to help the others investigate especially after the experience he had in Transylvania. I see Van Helsing as a older and wise grandfather/father-type figure to the others. He is extremely clever and guides the others perfectly. I felt extremely sorry for Arthur, Seward and Quincey. They all loved Lucy in their own way and had to witness her deteriorate in front of them from a then unknown cause.

Count Dracula is a fantastic villain. I feel that you never completely learn his plan, other than moving to England, so this makes him even more frightening and mysterious.

I would definitely recommend Dracula to everyone - especially those who love the Classics. Although it took me ages to read and I did struggle in places I really do count Dracula as one of my favourites now. ( )
1 vote MyExpandingBookshelf | May 18, 2015 |
Como apreciadora de livros, belas capas e grandes histórias, não me achava no direito de me considerar uma grande leitora até conhecer os grandes clássicos da literatura. Comprei esta belíssima edição e lancei-me nesta aventura de conhecer o Conde Drácula, o primeiro, o verdadeiro e para mim, o único, vampiro da história, com as suas características próprias e as suas secretas ambições. Durante esta complexa narrativa passamos de um desprezo e horror face a tamanha criatura, para a piedade e fascínio pelo mesmo. Esperava algo diferente, algo mais emocionante e, confesso que o final do filme é mais emocionante e belo do que o do livro, acontecimento raro e estranho. Contudo, é sempre de ressalvar a criatividade avassaladora e também a genialidade deste escritor, que há tantos anos decidiu oferecer-nos este pedaço da sua história. Termino desta forma, dando 3 estrelas, apenas com pena do final do livro, final esse que me impediu de dar a quarta. ( )
  SaraVieira | May 5, 2015 |
Dracula is well known, I found some of the differences between movies, common myth, and the book of interest. He isn't quite as fearsome in this version. I think a lot of the issue is the dating of the book. A lot of what Bram Stoker does serves to reduce the horror. An example is the early introduction by watching him scale a castle. His behavior wasn't consistent with his abilities.

Next is the structure of the book. It is told as a series of diary entries with the addition of a few letters. These come from several people, yet they are all told in the same voice with similar types of content and style. Each person has recorded dialog verbatim, even to the point of the awkward working and spelling of people of different cultures and backgrounds. It felt very unnatural.

Abraham Van Helsing seemed over the top. He has all the answers, he's encountered vampires before, but his background isn't adequately explained. He is overly secretive for a matter as grave as this, and parcels out information only sparingly.

The story, itself, could be brought up-to-date. For instance, instead of starting in Romania, I would have started in England with the arrival of the boat whose crew was dead. It could have started by taking the form of an investigation. There were some interesting events early in the book, intrigue around Harker's apparent imprisonment, his interaction with the other vampires. This could be updated by introducing another victim, probably replacing Harker, and another plot thread in England.

Overall, the book fell short of my expectations. I felt no horror, and felt that Dracula didn't present himself well. Coupled with the overburdened dialog of the stereotypical Victorian dialog made it slow at times and difficult to accept when belittling women or other minorities. The climax came a bit suddenly and was too abrupt. A rewrite could do wonders for the book, it is a good story. ( )
  Nodosaurus | Apr 19, 2015 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,012,079 books! | Top bar: Always visible