Dracula by Bram Stoker

Dracula (original 1897; edition 2011)

by Bram Stoker

19,06637685 (3.95)3 / 1226
Member:jimmorrison
Title:Dracula
Authors:Bram Stoker
Info:SoHo Books (2011), Paperback, 364 pages

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (deathbykleenex)
    deathbykleenex: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    Dracula's Guest by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    The Green Mile Book 2: The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    Wizard and Glass by Stephen King (Booksloth)

English (355)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (3)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (376)
With this book, as usual, I've seen the movie version before reading the book. There are a lot of differences between this book and the movie. That being said, I did like this book but was not overly happy with it. It was really really really wordy... really wordy. Yes we learned more about Renfield than we did in the movie which was cool I thought.

For the rest of the review (contains a spoiler), go to my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/76334.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Jul 29, 2014 |
"Dracula" is the third selection in my online scifi/fantasy class. I read it about 30 years ago, and, while it has its exciting moments, it's about 100 pages too long. However, Bram Stoker's novel pulled together myriad vampire lore and created the "rules" for writing stories in which vampirism stands for any number of characters in society who are selfish and inhuman, from the gold-digger "vamp" to modern day Wall Street characters who suck money, life, and hope from unwitting investors. Read the rest at: http://thegrimreader.blogspot.com/2014/07/i-decide-i-owe-debt-to-stoker.html ( )
  nohrt4me2 | Jul 19, 2014 |
The writing's not always great and the heroes are rather flat, but Stoker gets tons of kudos for creating a rudely iconic vampire. I was surprised by how readable this was and once the characters finally pulled together and went on the hunt, the story was thrilling.

One thing I thought interesting was that this seemed to be the birth of the monster fighting team (maybe, I don't know what earlier stories there might have been), in which a group of disparate people come together to fight what goes bump in the night. This kind of group is typically four or five and has to keep their deeds secret (think Buffy the Vampire Slayer), which causes it's own logistical and financial challenges. While Dracula ends with everyone settled and into domestic bliss, I could just as easily see the group carrying on the battle, seaking out new monsters to destroy. ( )
  andreablythe | Jul 11, 2014 |
The grandaddy of all vampire books.
  lseitz | Jul 1, 2014 |
Ah Dracula… I hope I don’t need to tell you about the plot for this one! The edition I read was a modern library classic and the introduction was extremely well done. As with most introductions to classics, it does carelessly share spoilers as though it’s at the end of the book. I still like to read the intro first though, because I think I get more out of a book when I’ve read a little of the literary analysis first. The literary analysis in this book was interesting and very well done, but on top of that the author was actually very funny. The tidbit that stuck with me the most was the observation that Dracula could represent a fear of independent and sexually liberated women. And oh the sexual undertones! It was all very Victorian era and while the views of women were quite archaic, it was still a fascinating glimpse of past social norms.

Although I wouldn’t describe the sexual undertones as subtle, there was certainly never anything explicit. All violence was similarly vague and never described in gory detail. Having read several “sequels” and re-tellings in addition to the original, I think this is one of the main features that sets the original apart. It was definitely less creepy than the newer Dracula spin-offs, but I really appreciated the author leaving so much to your imagination. The subtlety was a refreshing change from the sensationalism of many of today’s thrillers and horror novels.

I also loved that the novel was written as a series of letters (in an “epistolary” style for you English majors). As the intro points out, the author often doesn’t explicitly make the connection betwen events. Instead he trusts the reader to figure it out and by doing so, he engages the reader more deeply with the material. The author also does a great job giving each character a distinct voice. Even without labels, it would be possible to figure out who wrote each letter by tone alone.

The characters are fairly flat, but they’re also not really the point. This novel is driven by the suspense, not the characters. Fortunately for us modern readers, the characters are reasonably intelligent about their situation. I found their reactions believable, but they don’t figure everything out slowly enough to be frustrating. Overall, this is less creepy than modern novels, but I enjoyed the book for both it’s lack of sensationalism and for it’s historic place in vampire mythology.

This review first published at Doing Dewey. ( )
  DoingDewey | Jun 29, 2014 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Transylvania.
(abbottthomas)
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

(Carnophile)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:36:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

Eight editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

Dundurn

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,104,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible