Dracula by Bram Stoker: Original 1897…

Dracula by Bram Stoker: Original 1897 Edition [Illustrated] (original 1897; edition 2011)

by Bram Stoker

20,07239579 (3.94)3 / 1351
Title:Dracula by Bram Stoker: Original 1897 Edition [Illustrated]
Authors:Bram Stoker
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Classics, 2012 Books, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die, Librarything's Most Read 100

Dracula by Bram Stoker (1897)

Carmilla: a Vampyre Tale by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu (chrisharpe)
    Salem's Lot by Stephen King (JGKC, sturlington)
    sturlington: Stephen King's homage to Dracula.
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (MarcusBrutus)
    Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice (becca58203)
    In a Glass Darkly by Sheridan Le Fanu (daisycat)
    daisycat: 'Carmilla' is meant to be the inspiration for Bram Stoker's story.
    Renfield: Slave of Dracula by Barbara Hambly (Ape)
    Ape: Renfield's point of view.
    The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (Hollerama, Hollerama)
    The Vampyre by John William Polidori (Andibook)
    Andibook: Polidori's The Vampyre is one of, if not the, oldest vampire novel. His ‘gentleman vampire,’ diverging from the more zombie-like vampire of folklore, influenced the entire genre – including the famous vampire Dracula.
    Dracula's Guest and Other Weird Tales by Bram Stoker (Sylak)
    Sylak: Contains the deleted first chapter removed before publication.
    Dracula; A Biography of Vlad the Impaler 1431-1476) by Radu Florescu (myshelves)
    The Turn of the Screw by Henry James (cammykitty)
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova (SandSing7)
    Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (wertygol)
    The Beetle by Richard Marsh (jonathankws)
    jonathankws: So much better than Dracula, this Gothic horror novel was published in the same year and was initially far more successful.
    In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires by Raymond T. McNally (Booksloth)
    Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist (mcenroeucsb)
    The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen (myshelves)
    The Insidious Doctor Fu-Manchu by Sax Rohmer (leigonj)
    leigonj: Both are adventure/ detective stories in which the heroes must battle to stop mysterious, evil, foreign antagonists striking at the heart of the British Empire.
    Winterwood by Patrick McCabe (edwinbcn)
    The Mouse on the Mile by Stephen King (dakobstah)
    dakobstah: This is a modernized, Americanized version of "Dracula." It is not told in the same first-hand account fashion as the original but provides a deeper, more psychologically driven plot. It at once wields a fascinating story with obvious parallels (most of the characters in "Dracula" appear in "Salem's Lot" under different guises) as well as poignant social commentary about life in small-town America. Highly recommended for those who liked, and even those who didn't like, the original "Dracula."… (more)

1890s (33)

English (373)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  French (4)  Catalan (1)  Polish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Hungarian (1)  Slovak (1)  All languages (395)
I found this to be interesting even captivating at times. Well written for an older book. ( )
  bwhitner | Sep 9, 2015 |
"""No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and how dear to his heart and eye the morning can be"".

Darkness is a rather curious thing. It is at night that we find peace, more often than not, for it is during the dark hours, I feel, that all things lose their form. By becoming formless, thus, they make our eyes lose their purpose; we can focus, then, on more internal experiences: thoughts, reflections, dreams. Darkness, however, can sometimes also open the doors to a not so welcome feeling: fear. Some say that dreaded nonsensical sensation comes as a natural response from our body, as one of its most wondrous features, sight, gets temporarily robbed from us. Sometimes the fear caused is so strong that it makes our other senses get sharper. All of a sudden, the mere creak of a floor board is molded, by our minds, into the footsteps of an intruder; the scratch of a branch on the wall outside is mentally translated as a being trying to break in. Yes, curious thing, the dark. It is illogical to feel threatened by such a natural part of life, for even though we are deprived of sight for some time, we know that, physically, not much changed out there. Although we cannot see, all the old furniture is still lying on the same place where it's been for the last fifteen years; our families and companions are still sound asleep at the same rooms; the old tree outside isn't likely yo destroy out window by itself; our old boring neighbor also isn't going anywhere... As we can see, there is no reason to fear the night when you are a rational human being that can guarantee that the world outside is, during the night, just as normal as it is during the day. But can you?

Unknowingly, pragmatic Jonathan Harker, young recently admitted solicitor from England, sets out on a quest during which he is bound to discover the answer to that question. He is being sent to arrange for a rich man, who he doesn't know, all the bureaucratic process involving his moving to London. After saying goodbye to his beloved fiance, Mina, he starts his business journey towards the Carpathian mountains, near the Romanian borders. Stoker does a great job of depicting such a breath-taking land, full of life and mystery. Not only does he describe beautifully all the geographical features and climate, but he also emphasizes the peculiar characteristics of the inhabitants. Thankfully, he doesn't linger that much on their outfits and appearance, for had he done that I would probably not have finished the book; there are nothing that turns me down on a story as much as unnecessary detail. Anyway, the good thing is that he focuses on their behavior, especially their religion and beliefs: ""[...]every known superstition in the world is gathered into the horseshoe of the Carpathians, as if it were the centre of some sort of imaginative whirpool; [...]"", ""[...] people are brave, and strong, and simple, and seem full of nice qualities. They are very, very superstitious"". We soon discover that people on that region are highly religious and intrinsically superstitious. When some of them find out about Jonathan's destination, castle Dracula, they start acting rather curiously towards him, blessing him with all kinds of religious signals against bad energy. To worsen such behavior, unintentionally Jon sets foot there on the eve of St. George's day - for those who don't know, this is a day when the locals throw festivities in remembrance of St. George's victory over the dragon; the main theme of the holiday is the celebration of purity. Allegedly, as a way of the Universe finding balance, during this day the evil entities are freed from their dwellings and permitted to roam through Earth doing whatever they please. As a result, people's reactions to Jon's intention of going to castle Dracula almost reach the point of hysteria. When he finally takes a cab, alone, to resume his journey, he is more scared than the strangers he met on the road, without even knowing why.

Little by little, though, Jon gets more scared as some weird events occur on the way to the castle. Used to having always led an utterly common, peaceful life in the heart of England, he can barely believe what his eyes are seeing, for what he is seeing cannot be explained under a rational perspective: ""But my flesh answered the pinching test, and my eyes were not to be deceived."". Passed the initial shock, Jon finally arrives at the castle. Initially, he finds the place inviting and comfortable enough, given that it's a century-old building placed on a remote region. Let's admit, though, that after having traveled for such a long time enduring harsh weather and limited food, any whole in the ground where you could get warm bed and meal would seem like a dream. After meeting the austere and peculiar Count and after having some time to be aware of the place he was in, though, Jon begins noticing some weird facts. Dracula doesn't ever eat or drink with him; even though he says the servants announced some meal was ready or that some task had been done, Jon never sees anyone in the castle but the Count. More importantly, Dracula seems to always chose the most unconventional times to chat with him; it's always during the night - prolonged, in most cases, until sunup. All this strange events end up leading Jonathan to, for the first time in his life, contemplate the possibility of the paranormal really existing: ""I am all in a sea of wonders. I doubt; I fear; I think strange things, which I dare not confess to my own soul. Go keep me, if only for the sake of those near to me!"". It was very interesting to see Jonathan's internal struggles leading him, slowly, to madness; he tries to come up with rational explanations to everything that he is experiencing in the castle, but, at some point, things are just too much. He gives up trying to be rational and embraces the possibility that something paranormal is going on: ""[...] unless my senses deceive me, the old centuries had, and have, powers of their own which mere 'modernity' cannot kill."". Stricken by heart-pounding fear for his life, he flees the castle.

At this point I was already in love with the way Stoker wrote this story. All the reports are given in the form of either letters sent from one character to another, or entries on personal diaries. As a result, I got a sense that the story was much more real. It certainly felt like it could be happening right at the time when I was reading it; had it been written as a narration, I think nowadays, more than a century later, reading this book would feel like reading a fairy tale, which is not the feeling it should give you at all, in my opinion. Anyway, from the point where Jon runs from the castle, the author sets his point of view aside for a long time. We are introduced a bunch of new characters. There is Mina, sweet and sharp-minded; Lucy, another sweet girl, though more innocent than Mina, and also her best friend. It's thanks to Lucy, though, that the other characters are introduced: Quincey, Arthur and psychiatrist Dr. Seward, her three potential fiances. At first, there is little or no relation between the five but common friendship; even from the moment Lucy finally decides on the one she wants to marry, the three gentlemen treat each other friendly enough.

As the story moves on, Lucy's old somnambulism problem, which for years had not evolved in intensity, leads her to disastrous misadventures through the night. Curiously, the symptoms start coming back right after a mysterious ship anchors on the port nearby, seemingly containing nothing but wooden boxes. Thankfully, Mina, who is living with Lucy and her mother, is able to protect Lucy from hurting herself when she notices the illness taking control of her friend. However, even Mina, sometimes, can't help noticing that Lucy is acting too uncharacteristically even for a person suffering from somnambulism: ""She seemed, even in her sleep, to be a little impatient at finding the door shut, and went back to bed under a sort of protest."". Lucy's condition evolves to a point where she starts loosing her sanity due to the lack of sleep and fear of falling asleep: ""How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads; to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams"". More or less at the same time these events start happening, we are introduced to one of the final main characters: Mr. Renfield, a patient of Dr. Seaward's. Let me tell you, that guy is crazy as hell. He was first brought to the clinic for displaying symptoms of zoophagia, but all of a sudden he goes insane, speaking of a master who no one can see and referring to his approaching vengeance. Curiously enough, his paroxysms only happen during the night; during the day he is a quite common patient, even displaying clear signs of his intelligence and awareness to the world around him, sometimes. Anyway, it was very sad to see Lucy's condition evolving to a much more serious illness, but it was also because of this that my favorite character form this book was finally introduced: Dr. Van Helsing!

I liked everything about Van Helsing: his sense of humor, his unfailing hope in good - even if, sometimes, Stoker turned it into too much praise to religion, for my taste. The way his dialogues were written as to emphasize his accent was very fun to read. It's also through Van Helsing that the author brings to the story the so much needed clarity as to the sad events that are happening to Lucy and that already happened to Jonathan. It's thanks to him that everyone is reassured of their undamaged mental properties; he acts like a true father of the unlikely family that comes together to find and defeat the evil force that is turning everyone's life into a pit of pain. Speaking of that, it was very cool to watch Mina, Jon, Quincey, Arthur and Dr. Seward being introduced to the supernatural, and even more inspiring seeing them unite and share information in order to achieve the common goal of defeating their assailant. I couldn't help noticing how communication used to be so much more true, straight and efficient at that time. Nowadays, I think, were we burdened with the task of solving such a complex problem as a group, we would be lost among a tornado of tweets, messages and posts. When all the information gathered by the group leads them to the conclusion that all the ill doings are being made by something that they cannot accept or understand, Van Helsing only confirms what he already knew, that all the tragedy regarding Lucy was caused by Dracula, so he leads the group to the next step: taking care of the entity's extinction.

During their attempts, Mina finds herself surrounded by a group of men. It is natural, then, that the gentlemen try to protected her from being too exposed to danger, both physical and psychological; Jonathan, especially, acts very protective of her in lots of occasions: ""I shall keep dark over to-night's doings, and shall refuse to speak of anything that has happened. I rest on the sofa, so as not to disturb her."". Mina proves herself to be a very resilient young woman, though, helping them unfailingly throughout all the endeavor; she is very smart and doesn't get scared easily. Consequently, the whole group starts being brotherly attracted to her, as if she is the beacon of hope that protects them from going mad: ""[...] our hearts were strengthened to work and endure for her."". When, as a result of their negligence under pressure, Mina is left alone and acquires a strange illness, the whole party falls with her, their hearts melted by her condition. It leads to the scene that I most liked in the whole book, despite it being utterly tense and sad: ""Even a skeptic, who can see nothing but a travesty of bitter truth in anything holy or emotional, would have been melted to the heart had he seen that little group of loving and devoted friends kneeling round that stricken and sorrowing lady, [...]"". They don't ever give up, though, pursuing their assailant back to it's home, looking for his destruction. When the final moment comes, again Stoker surprised me with his talent of writing such believable characters, especially with his depictions of Van Helsing's feelings; I used to think of Van Helsing as the utmost bane of evil, a strong arm who would not ever fail at his task of reading the world of its darkest creatures. I was wrong. Van Helsing, as every other human, is given his moment of giving up to his senses regarding the not so noble act of murder: ""I, Van Helsing, with all my purpose and with my motive for hate - I was moved to a yearning for delay which seemed to paralyze my faculties and to clog my very soul."".

Reading this book was an incredible experience. I always liked vampires a lot (the real ones, not the glittering ones), so reading one of the first works of classic literature where they were introduced to popular culture was lots of fun. I was astounded by Stoker's ability to create such vivid descriptions either of scenery and landscapes without leading to boredom. In fact, less than a week ago, while I was still reading this book, I happened to pass in front of the TV when I saw some landscape full of fallen leaves on the ground, distinct glades on a forest made of beech, little streams cutting through a land made of the greenest grass; I think: hey! I know this place! I've been there! It turned out to be a documentary about Romania which was being shown by a very popular TV channel here in Brazil. When the show-host said ""Romania"" I thought to myself: ""Hmpf! Now I get it!"". Without further ado, I will only discount a star from this book for I felt the story was being a little dragged on from the half of the book forward; I know how detail-oriented Stoker is, but I think he could have delivered the same effect with fewer ""This is the third day, I spent it all lying here on the boat doing nothing, and now I'm writing on my diary."" parts.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Blood is too precious a thing in these days of dishonorable peace; and the glories of the great races are as a tale that is told.
In selfish men caution is as secure an armor for their foes as for themselves
We learn from failure, not from success!
Now that you are willing to understand, you have taken the first step to understand.

The Last Passage
We want no proofs; we ask none to believe us! This boy will some day know what a brave and gallant woman his mother is. Already he knows her sweetness and loving care; later on he will understand how some men so loved her, that they did dare much for her sake." ( )
1 vote AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
Reading Dracula for the first time this summer, I was coming face to face with a sensational classic of the Gothic horror genre. Popular media has ruthlessly tampered with the image of supernatural creatures to the point where there has been a major severing between the original images of Dracula, zombies and Frankenstein’s monster, and their recent adaptations in films, literature and comics. For this reason, it was a pleasure to read of Dracula in its original form – his traits such as his shape-shifting ability and genealogical history colored him in a manner much more intimate than I had imagined.

The novel’s narration rests in the hands of multiple people, beginning with Jonathan Harker, a young man who is sent to Dracula’s castle in Transylvania (in northwestern Romania) as a real estate agent. It is Harker who first discovers the supernatural behavior of Dracula soon after he becomes imprisoned in the castle. Correspondence between him and his wife Mina eventually introduces more character, and a death soon demands that Harker and his friends investigate into the mysterious fang-like markings left on the person’s neck.

Dracula is a respectably long read – fortunately, it is the abundance of dialogues that pulls the story along. Nevertheless, the lack of development in Dracula’s character was a grand disappointment to me. I suppose I was expecting something similar to Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, which was a mistake on my part – once you read a masterpiece like that, it’s hard to recover!

Of course, this novel is a product of its time – the values embedded in Victorian culture at the turn of the nineteenth century are freely reflected in Dracula, especially those concerning women, and the purity, naiveté, and nurturing values they were expected to uphold. The lustfulness that overtakes female figures attacked by Dracula is a fascinating and endless source of study, though unfortunately there is not enough space to fully deconstruct them in this review.

In essence, Dracula stands as a memorable piece of Gothic horror literature, and it naturally calls upon the reader to discuss and deconstruct it in full detail, but as a reading experience it offers nothing short of the ordinary. It’s a classic, so my recommendation is to read it for that reason.

If you want to read more of my reviews, check out my book blog! ( )
1 vote themythbookshelf | Aug 8, 2015 |
Count Dracula has been happily feeding on the local peasantry for many years, when, presumably enraged by the rise of the British Middle Class, he relocates to feed on our women. Some brave Middle Class souls unite to vanquish him. Harker, who survives his 1st encounter with the Count is subsequently promoted from lower Middle Class clerk to Middle-middle Class "Master" as Dracula feeds on the slightly richer woman of leisure, Lucy, who has presumed to marry into the aristocracy. Just for laughs, let's contrast the effectiveness of the Middle Class Doctors, Van Helsing and Seward with the relative uselessness of Lord Godalming. I know Arthur deals decisively with Lucy but undergoing this trial of fire only serves him right. Doubtless he has been a parasite on the Middle Classes, figuratively sucking their blood (and nicking our women) just as Dracula has been doing literally. Honourable mention must go here to Quincy, that product of the classless society. He's naturally a sidekick but he steps up to the plate when required, no doubt because Stoker was rather fond of the Americans. I'm sure I didn't read the novel this way last time and perhaps in part it's this shapeshifting quality which lends foundation to it's classic status and ensures such widespread appeal. Yes, I know: this reading says more about the reader than the Middle Class Stoker (I'm also Middle Class).

It's epistolic, which is frankly rather a brave choice, considering that you always know that whoever's diary you are currently reading with survive long enough to write it; and that the paucity of epistolary novels in English hardly allows you to research the form exhaustively.

Harker's Journal, which opens the novel is particularly well done, pulling you into the locality and dealing marvellously with Harker's psychological position as he knows himself to be in deep water but tries to avoid provoking the Count. Other passages sacifice this verisimilitude. The newspaper report describing the Count's landing at Whitby for example simply doesn't ring true. It contains such a wonderful descriptive passages however that I forgive Stoker as readily as Van Helsing would forgive apparently anyone their flaws.

On the subject of Van Helsing, this has to be THE most annoying character I have ever encountered in fiction. He goes on and on, page after page, about how wonderful and noble everyone he meets is and I find myself wishing those reporting his speech would just summarise, for the love of God! This book would run to 300 pages and loose nothing if he would just PLEASE shut up.

Lucy's blood transfusions. The concept of blood groups wasn't discovered until 1901, and this being an 1897 publication I find it hard to believe that four such operations wouldn't have killed her anyway. Again, I forgive Stoker as the concept of blood sharing sits so well with the artistry of the novel.

All told, a great novel, thought provoking in more ways than I've mentioned here, and tremendous fun. ( )
  Lukerik | Jun 12, 2015 |
I absolutely loved Dracula. Although I found it quite a difficult read, it is now one of my favourites. I've also found it quite hard to write this review because it's such a classic. It's why it has taken me so long to get this posted - I finished reading it weeks ago.

Dracula is told mainly via the diary entries of Jonathan Harker, Mina Murray, Dr John Seward, Lucy Westenra and Dr Van Helsing. This helps to build up a complete picture of what occurs and shows clearly how each character contributes to the investigation. The narration, in essence, left no stone unturned. In places the plot was quite slow, i.e. when a character was travelling, but it was also fast at points too. The language was at times quite difficult to get my head round but it was written beautifully. Like many of the old classics the description was unreal.

I liked all the characters. I really liked how Mina was portrayed as being rather clever and that this lead to the men actively including her in the investigation. Jonathan is extremely brave to help the others investigate especially after the experience he had in Transylvania. I see Van Helsing as a older and wise grandfather/father-type figure to the others. He is extremely clever and guides the others perfectly. I felt extremely sorry for Arthur, Seward and Quincey. They all loved Lucy in their own way and had to witness her deteriorate in front of them from a then unknown cause.

Count Dracula is a fantastic villain. I feel that you never completely learn his plan, other than moving to England, so this makes him even more frightening and mysterious.

I would definitely recommend Dracula to everyone - especially those who love the Classics. Although it took me ages to read and I did struggle in places I really do count Dracula as one of my favourites now. ( )
1 vote MyExpandingBookshelf | May 18, 2015 |
The Illustrated Dracula: This book fails the flip test. If something’s title includes the word “Illustrated”, you ought to see pictures when you flip through it. I didn’t.

Bram Stokerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is expanded in

Has as a student's study guide

How these papers have been placed in sequence will be made manifest in the reading of them. All needless matters have been eliminated, so that a history almost at variance with the possibilities of latter-day belief may stand forth as simple fact. There is throughout no statement of past things wherein memory may err, for all the records chosen are exactly contemporary, given from the standpoints and within the range of knowledge of those who made them.
To my dear friend Hommy-Beg
3 May. Bistritz.—Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46, but train was an hour late.
I have learned not to think little of any one's belief, no matter how strange it may be. I have tried to keep an open mind, and it is not the ordinary things of life that could close it, but the strange things, the extraordinary things, the things that make one doubt if they be mad or sane.
No man knows till he has suffered from the night how sweet and dear to his heart and eye the morning can be.
Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.
I heard once of an American who so defined faith: ‘that faculty which enables us to believe things which we know to be untrue.
Denin die Todtem reiten schnell. For the dead travel fast.
This is the main work for Dracula. It should not be combined with any adaptation, children's version, abridgement, etc. If this is your book but you have an abridged or adapted version, please update your title and/or ISBN, so that your copy can be combined with the correct abridgement or adaptation.
From back: Told in journal fragments that cannot provide any single reliable perspective, Dracula (1897) is at the same time intensely Romantic and very modern. It unfolds the story of a Transylvanian Don Juan, the aristocratic vampire Count Dracula who preys on desirous damsels, and of the mission launched to destroy him from the perplexingly appropriate setting of a lunatic asylum.

Dracula, perhaps the ultimate terror myth, probes deeply into the question of human identity and sanity, sexual power versus sexual desire, and what Freud was to call 'the return of the repressed'. Bram Stoker's masterpiece embodies a struggle which, as Maurice Hindle remarks, is the struggle to recover 'an embattled male's deepest sense of himself as male'.

AR 6.6, 25 Pts
Estate agent gets
It in the neck. Should avoid
Dinner at the Count's.
Should be fun. No, don't bother
to bring any wine.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0743477367, Mass Market Paperback)

A true masterwork of storytelling, Dracula has transcended generation, language, and culture to become one of the most popular novels ever written. It is a quintessential tale of suspense and horror, boasting one of the most terrifying characters ever born in literature: Count Dracula, a tragic, night-dwelling specter who feeds upon the blood of the living, and whose diabolical passions prey upon the innocent, the helpless, and the beautiful. But Dracula also stands as a bleak allegorical saga of an eternally cursed being whose nocturnal atrocities reflect the dark underside of the supremely moralistic age in which it was originally written -- and the corrupt desires that continue to plague the modern human condition.

Pocket Books Enriched Classics present the great works of world literature enhanced for the contemporary reader. This edition of Dracula was prepared by Joseph Valente, Professor of English at the University of Illinois and the author of Dracula's Crypt: Bram Stoker, Irishness, and the Question of Blood, who provides insight into the racial connotations of this enduring masterpiece.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:27 -0400)

An evil count in Transylvania leads an army of human vampires that prey on people.

Legacy Library: Bram Stoker

Bram Stoker has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Bram Stoker's legacy profile.

See Bram Stoker's author page.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014143984X, 0141024976, 0451530667, 0141325666, 0141045221, 0451228685, 0143106163, 0141199334

An edition of this book was published by Dundurn.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,721,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible