The Fence My Father Built by Linda S. Clare

The Fence My Father Built

by Linda S. Clare

In The Fence My Father Built when legally separated Muri Pond, a librarian, hauls her kids, teenage Nova and eleven year-old Truman, out to the tiny town of Murkee, Oregon, where her father, Joe Pond lived and died, she's confronted by a neighbor's harassment over water rights and Joe's legacy: a fence made from old oven doors. The fence and accompanying house trailer horrify rebellious Nova, who runs away to the drug-infested streets of Seattle. Muri searches for her daughter and for something to believe in, all the while trying to save her inheritance from the conniving neighbor who calls her dad Chief Joseph. Along with Joe's sister, Aunt Lutie, and the Red Rock Tabernacle Ladies, Muri must rediscover the faith her alcoholic dad never abandoned in order to reclaim her own spiritual path.… (more)

I wanted to like this story, but it wasn't compelling at all. I couldn't figure out what exactly Muri was trying to do or how she felt about things - it was all so vague. The relationships didn't feel very real - I totally didn't get any romantic vibe between Muri and Rubin. There was too much "telling" in the story and not enough "showing". ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 11, 2012 |
Slow reading ( )
  Callysue | Jul 27, 2010 |

Linda S. Clare is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,323,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible