Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter is Delicious

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (5)

Recently added byprivate library, thiagoalves, FranciscoSanchez, ushatten, RadekBonk

In this 5th book of the series things are changing for Miami's friendly neighbourhood serial killer. Rita has just given birth to a baby daughter and this miraculous event seems to cause Dexter some serious issues. Feelings! He's having some. He's even contemplating giving up his alternate lifestyle which probably won't go down to well with Cody and Astor. But it's about this point that his sister, Deborah, interrupts his reverie and demands his presence at a crime scene. There's plenty of blood but no body and the Feds have turned up wanting to call it a kidnapping so they can claim jurisdiction. As it's Deborah's case she's not really inclined to just hand it over and wants Dex to find if all that blood belongs to the 18-year-old girl that the room belongs to or if something else went down instead. When initial investigations also find that the girls' friend has also gone missing then perhaps things are more complex than originally thought. Especially when the second girls' body is located and has been partially consumed. Is the other girl next on the menu? Meanwhile, Dexter appears to have picked up a stalker of his own and his burgeoning family life takes a twist when someone from his past makes an unexpected appearance. Will Dexter's new found convictions hold up under the pressures of home life and work are combined?

Book Dexter is on a different path to TV Dexter as the TV series took a different route to the books very early on and as I had read the previous book some time ago it was a little confusing trying to distinguish how things stood with the character's this time around. But the biggest problems I had with this story was the changes wrought in the main character and the enormous holes in the plot. Is it possible for Deb's to do anything remotely like police work without involving Dexter? Was the returning character just shoe-horned in to highlight Dexter's new found righteousness? Can Dex ever find his cojones in time to tell his sister "No!" just once? If I hadn't already bought the next book in the series then this would probably be it for me with Dexter but as book 6 is already sitting there then I will journey on in the hope some of the earlier sparkle of the character I used to like returns. Is Dexter delicious or has he gone a bit stale? ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Aug 6, 2014 |
I must be on some insane giveaway winning streak. I've never won this many in a row. I've only read the first book in the series but looking forward to reading this next installment. The title alone is enough to win me over. Love the Showtime television series.

-------------------------------

It looks like the title is only thing I love about this novel. I simply couldn't pass on reading something called [b:Dexter Is Delicious|7469133|Dexter Is Delicious (Dexter, #5)|Jeff Lindsay|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275781823s/7469133.jpg|9552554]. Maybe watching the Showtime cable series season after season has tempered my enjoyment of Jeff Lindsay's original creation. This is just not the Dexter I have grown to love and the Debs I've slowly grown to tolerate.

In this novel, the fifth installment of the series, Dexter is reluctantly pulled along by his sergeant sister and pushed into one improbable situation after another. Apparently Dexter is no longer capable of using the word "no" for fear of physical abuse from his younger (and smaller?) sibling. What ever happened to the cold calculating killer born in blood? When did he become such a spineless pushover? I also found it ridiculous that his wife, Rita, seemed unable to form one coherent sentence throughout the entire book. Here's a taste of her brilliant dialogue:

"Well, I hope you--Oh! But I emptied the diaper pail, and it's really--Could you take the bag and--"...She thrust it at me and said, "On your way out, if you--You really have to go in? I mean, it won't take too long? Because, I mean, drive carefully, but--"

Turn to any random page and this is the kind of fumbling conversation she is having. *sigh* I think I'm going to stick to the show from here. At least it manages to surprise me from time to time. I saw the ending to this novel coming from miles away. ( )
  diovival | Oct 14, 2013 |
not as good as the others but still an enjoyable read. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
Book Info: Genre: Thriller/Police Procedural
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: twisted people
Trigger Warnings: murder, cannibalism

My Thoughts: So, this is the last book in the series that I've read before, and I actually bought a first-edition hardcover of this one, which is very nice of course. I'm very excited now to move on and read the two books I haven't yet read.

Watching Dexter falling hopelessly in love with his daughter was quite a thing. However, seeing Astor and Cody's reaction to Brian made me think, “Oh, dear, Dexter, you really should have worked with these kids a bit more...” They are obviously pulling at the bit in anxiety to leave the starting gate but Dexter is always too distracted to do anything beyond saying, “Later.”

Still, this is a very interesting addition to the storyline, with everyone changing. Dexter is becoming a much more complex character, and of course things are never quite what they seem. I really do understand the vigilante attitude; so many deserving people escape justice because of money or status. It is terribly frustrating. It's nice to see Deborah coming around a little, but overall I don't find her very likable. She has absolutely no consideration for anyone, even dragging Dexter away from his newborn without any apparent qualm or guilt. I wish Rita would read her the riot act, maybe make her understand that Dexter doesn't always need to jump when she says, or that maybe she could find a bit of gratitude for the help he gives her, or at least show that she understands how much danger he puts himself in for her. But no...

So, of course, fans of the books: you don't want to miss this one! Things are changing in the Dexterverse, yet the more they change the more they'll stay the same. What will be next? I''m dying to know!

Series Information: Dexter Morgan series
Book 1: Darkly Dreaming Dexter, review linked here
Book 2: Dearly Devoted Dexter, review linked here
Book 3: Dexter in the Dark, review linked here
Book 4: Dexter by Design, review linked here
Book 5: Dexter is Delicious
Book 6: Double Dexter
Book 7: Dexter's Final Cut

Disclosure: I purchased a new, first-edition hardcover of this book for myself. All opinions are my own.

Synopsis: Dexter Morgan's happy homicidal life is undergoing some major changes. He's always lived by a single golden rule—he kills only people who deserve it. But the Miami blood-spatter analyst has recently become a daddy—to an eight-pound curiosity named Lily Anne—and strangely, Dex's dark urges seem to have left him. Is he ready to become an overprotective father? To pick up soft teddy bears instead of his trusty knife, duct tape, and fishing wire? What's a serial killer to do?

Then Dexter is summoned to investigate the disappearance of an eighteen-year-old girl who seems to have been abducted by a bizarre group... who just may be vampires... and—possibly—cannibals. Nothing like the familiar hum of his day job to get Dexter's creative dark juices flowing again. Assisting his bull-in-a-china-shop detective sister, Deborah, Dex wades into an investigation that gets more disturbing by the moment. And to compound the complication of Dexter's ever-more-complicated life, a person from his past suddenly reappears... moving dangerously close to his home turf and threatening to destroy the one thing tat has maintained Dexter's pretend human cover and kept him out of the electric chair: his new family. ( )
  Katyas | Aug 22, 2013 |
This was my favorite Dexter book so far, and not because I won it for free in the Goodreads Giveaways! It actually managed to be shocking and unsettling, which is a bit difficult to be among all the serial killer mysteries on the shelf. Dexter is heads over heels in love with his new baby daughter, and he's finding himself less enamored with his Dark Passenger as he contemplates life as Dex-Daddy. His mental musings about Lily Anne are like his normal internal thoughts on speed, and it's entertaining seeing him feel real, human feelings for the first time. On the downside, Jeff Lindsay's side characters are still as one-note as ever. Rita spends the whole book speaking in strings of half-sentences, and Deb is maddeningly snarly and one-track-minded about finding a kidnapped girl, even when it gets her and Dexter in danger multiple times. The new television series starts tonight, and I'm looking forward to returning to TV-Deb, who always has more going on emotionally than book-Deb does. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |
For Hilary, as ever.
This part of the hospital seems like foreign country to me.

Dexter Morgan’s neatly organized life as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police, devoted husband and father, and killer of only those who deserve it is turned upside down by the arrival of his new daughter, Lily Anne. Feeling surprisingly sunny and loving, he’s trying to suppress the influence of his Dark Passenger—the voice inside who guides his homicidal urges. But Dexter is summoned to investigate the disappearance of a seventeen-year-old girl who has been running with a bizarre group of goths who fancy themselves to be vampires. As Dexter gets closer to the truth of what happened to the missing girl, he realizes they are not really vampires, but cannibals. And most disturbing, these people have their eyes on Dexter . . . and their mouths are watering.

Serial killer Dexter Morgan reevaluates his life views upon the birth of his daughter and investigates the disappearance of a teenage girl who has been running with a group of goths rumored to be engaging in cannibalism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,301,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible