Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter is Delicious

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (5)

Watching an entire season of the television show, Dexter, and then reading one of the books was something I enjoyed. When I finished the last season, which is sadly the LAST year, I did not read one right off. The first two books of the series are in my "Read before joining LibraryThing" collection. Maybe memory is playing tricks, but I remember liking the books a lot. The third book was fine, but the fourth and this book were let downs. One complaint about the fourth book, the police procedural decisions were not good, were the same in this book. Dexter's sister Deb is an idiot. The other complaint, that some of the plotting didn't move the story along, did not happen. It seemed to me that everything happened in this book was directly related to the plot. The plot wasn't good for me. I like Dexter being the likable serial killer. This book had Dexter trying to change due to new fatherhood. He was not the get-out-of-jam-by-himself guy I like, but a whiny, needs-help-to-save-himself hero. Not good. ( )
  mainrun | Aug 16, 2015 |
I love these books. I love Dexter. And I think Dex-Daddy might be my favorite Dexter of all. The author is so good at my favorite literary device, which I call either "polarity" or "the comic opposite," depending on which situation it is used in. A serial killer struck by new daddy feelings? Perfect. Love the author's entertaining use of dark humor. I think this was my favorite book so far. Did I say that last time? I hope they keep getting better. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
I'm getting less enamored with Dexter books. I have one more to go and hope I can make it, ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
well written ( )
  jodiesohl | Jan 18, 2015 |
In this 5th book of the series things are changing for Miami's friendly neighbourhood serial killer. Rita has just given birth to a baby daughter and this miraculous event seems to cause Dexter some serious issues. Feelings! He's having some. He's even contemplating giving up his alternate lifestyle which probably won't go down to well with Cody and Astor. But it's about this point that his sister, Deborah, interrupts his reverie and demands his presence at a crime scene. There's plenty of blood but no body and the Feds have turned up wanting to call it a kidnapping so they can claim jurisdiction. As it's Deborah's case she's not really inclined to just hand it over and wants Dex to find if all that blood belongs to the 18-year-old girl that the room belongs to or if something else went down instead. When initial investigations also find that the girls' friend has also gone missing then perhaps things are more complex than originally thought. Especially when the second girls' body is located and has been partially consumed. Is the other girl next on the menu? Meanwhile, Dexter appears to have picked up a stalker of his own and his burgeoning family life takes a twist when someone from his past makes an unexpected appearance. Will Dexter's new found convictions hold up under the pressures of home life and work are combined?

Book Dexter is on a different path to TV Dexter as the TV series took a different route to the books very early on and as I had read the previous book some time ago it was a little confusing trying to distinguish how things stood with the character's this time around. But the biggest problems I had with this story was the changes wrought in the main character and the enormous holes in the plot. Is it possible for Deb's to do anything remotely like police work without involving Dexter? Was the returning character just shoe-horned in to highlight Dexter's new found righteousness? Can Dex ever find his cojones in time to tell his sister "No!" just once? If I hadn't already bought the next book in the series then this would probably be it for me with Dexter but as book 6 is already sitting there then I will journey on in the hope some of the earlier sparkle of the character I used to like returns. Is Dexter delicious or has he gone a bit stale? ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Aug 6, 2014 |
For Hilary, as ever.
This part of the hospital seems like foreign country to me.

Dexter Morgan’s neatly organized life as a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police, devoted husband and father, and killer of only those who deserve it is turned upside down by the arrival of his new daughter, Lily Anne. Feeling surprisingly sunny and loving, he’s trying to suppress the influence of his Dark Passenger—the voice inside who guides his homicidal urges. But Dexter is summoned to investigate the disappearance of a seventeen-year-old girl who has been running with a bizarre group of goths who fancy themselves to be vampires. As Dexter gets closer to the truth of what happened to the missing girl, he realizes they are not really vampires, but cannibals. And most disturbing, these people have their eyes on Dexter . . . and their mouths are watering.

Serial killer Dexter Morgan reevaluates his life views upon the birth of his daughter and investigates the disappearance of a teenage girl who has been running with a group of goths rumored to be engaging in cannibalism.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,131,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible