A System of Logic by John Stuart Mill

A System of Logic (1843)

by John Stuart Mill

Front page has fallen out but I have it, other than that it is in pretty good shape.
  C.J.J.Anderson | Jun 8, 2014 |
John Stuart Mill is a smart man. Maybe even too smart, as this book reveals, with its 622 pages on the workings of science. Mill traces how science can go from observations to inductions to deductions.  It's solid, if exhausting, work, never missing a step, concept, or idea along the way. I find it interesting the way that Mill splits out the act of observation from logic, saying that it precedes reasoning. A useful warning, I think, for those of us who might want to think that all scientific acts are logical ones.

His dedication to the human and the ethical in all this is the most striking; he hopes science will show us that men and women are not all that different, and he argues that many generalizations about man and society assume that human nature never changes-- an argument that would later be one of the bases of On Liberty.

I used a lot of judicious skimming to get through this book quickly (I was reading it for my qualifying exams), but when I read some of the prose aloud to explain its tortured quality to comrades, I realized it wasn't tortured at all. Despite some difficult, theoretical subject matter, Mill writes attractively. Who else could make logic sound so beautiful?
1 vote Stevil2001 | Jun 4, 2013 |
It is so much the established practice of writers on logic to commence their treatises by a few general observations (in most cases, it is true, rather meagre) on Terms and their varieties, that it will, perhaps, scarcely be required from me, in merely following the common usage, to be as particular in assigning my reasons, as it is usually expected that those should be who deviate from it.

Volumes 7 and 8 comprise Mill s landmark philosophical work A System of Logic, Ratiocinative and Inductive, in which Mill explores the basic principles of inductive reasoning. In this work Mill presents the five basic modes of induction, which are now known as Mill s Methods: the method of agreement, the method of difference, the joint or double method of agreement, the method of residues, and that of concomitant variations. In contrast to Aristotle s syllogisms, which are based on deductive reasoning, Logic provides an alternate path to knowledge and constitutes an important contribution to the development of the scientific method.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:13 -0400)

5 wanted6 free

Liberty Fund, Inc

An edition of this book was published by Liberty Fund, Inc.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,937,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible