Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan

Proof by Seduction (edition 2010)

by Courtney Milan

Member:Vierran
Title:Proof by Seduction
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:Harlequin Books (2010), E-book
Tags:fiction, romance, historical, e-book

Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan (Author)

Summary
Jenny, is a fortune teller, and has a sophisticated clientele. When one of her regular clients, Ned, comes to her to convince his cousin of her authenticity. Gareth is a man of science, and ever since he came into his title, he has had to bear the weight of his title and all the responsibilities. Ned is young and innocent enough to be taken advantage of. When he hears about "Madame Esmerelda" he plans to discredit her, because he knows she is deceiving his cousin. At first he challenge her, and she in return challenges him back, and he finds her spirited and lovely and finds her irresistable and can't wait to get her into his bed. However he doesn't plan on ever falling in love....especially with a woman that matches him in all the ways that matter.

The Hero (Gareth Carhart)
Gareth, Lord Blakely has a passion for the scienes. And on the outside may seem cold and withdrawn but craves companionship and hates the feeling of loneliness. However he doesn't fully realize it until he meets Jenny, who turns his world of order into a world of chaos. He knows she is far different from him, but from the first time she spars with him, his desire for her encompasses him and it takes all his effort to keep his self control in check and not make passionate love to her for days on end.

The Hero (Jenny Keeble)
Jenny, is a fortune teller, which is not as easy as it looks. Jenny has worked hard over the years, for her reputation. She depends on her regular clientele in order to survive here in London. Now Lord Blakely is threatening to ruin everything, including her friendship with his cousin, who is like family to her. The only person that has ever shown kindness to her. But Gareth is very different, he makes her feel alive for the first time in her life, and finds herself falling in love with her.

My Thoughts
Proof By Seduction is the second in the series, and I now wonder why I haven't read more from this author before now. Milan has a very unique style of writing, one that instantly draws the reader instantly into the story. From the first sentance in the story I was hooked. I loved how from the first couple of pages, we see the first meeting of Gareth and Jenny. I have to say I found myself cracking up seeing them interact, it was like witnessing a sparring match, only verbally. I love the witty characteristics that played out throughout the story, and how you see these two people fall in love who may seem different in the beginning, are perfect for each other. I also loved the creativity of this author, and some of the scenes were definitely not commonplace. Overall a creatively written and fun story filled with endearing characters, engaging plot and intensely romantic that will make you shed a tear or two. ( )
  addictofromance | Dec 6, 2014 |
Oh jeez, I don't even know where to start! GAH. I guess I'll start at the front. First off, I LOVE the cover for this book, its absolutely beautiful. I love the use of color and again, its just gorgeous. Lets see, I love everything about this book. I love how creative Courtney Milan is in coming up with a truly unique story line. I have never read a book with a plot or story scenario quite like this one, and it works, I adored it. I love how rich each character is as well. From Gareth, to Ned, Laura, and Jenny; Courtney Milan wrote each and every one so you feel as if you know them personally, such as a long lost friend you have finally gotten to see again and you are listening to them tell you where they have been. It was perfect. I love the honesty each character emblazons and how you feel the emotions of each of them rolling off the pages. The plot is perfect, not to fast or slow, and contained critical information the whole way through, I never once though...'oh, why is that here'. I guess you are starting to get the point, this book is amazing. I also have one last bit of praise to impart. I was completely amazed at Courtney Milan's vocabulary skills, odd I know but she employed her skills well, I even had to bust out a dictionary...which was a GREAT thing. I didn't feel stupid while reading...which made me happy ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
Although both characters and plot seemed a bit unrealistic and dumb, I did warm to Jenny. Sort of. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Well written, passionate, and satisfying. The ending surprised me because it hinted at a trite "Gilbert and Sullivan" resolution but did not actually do that. ( )
  sardman | Jan 6, 2014 |
I bought this book on the recommendation of Tessa Dare and I'm glad I did. It was exactly what I was in the mood for the day I read it. The tone and characters matched perfectly what I was feeling and I came away from the book completely satisfied.

There were some flaws, but they didn't bother me in the mood I was in. I'm not sure if I had read this on another day if I would have enjoyed it as much, but as it stands I'd have to say it was an excellent book. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
For Tessa and Amy. You believed in me. You pushed me. You waved off every setback and squealed for joy when good things happened. An when I most needed you in a dark, dark time, you held my hand and kept me going.
Twelve years spent plying her trade had taught Jenny Keeble to leave no part of her carefully manufactured atmosphere to chance.
ISBN 1622667697 is for the enhanced edition with audio and pictures.

Jenny Keeble has never let her humble upbringing stop her. She’s made her way in the world as a fortune teller, one who convinces her clients her predictions are correct by telling them what they most want to hear. Business is good… until she meets her match in the form of Gareth Carhart, the Marquess of Blakely, a scientist and sworn bachelor.

Broodingly handsome, Gareth is appalled to discover his cousin has fallen under the spell of "Madame Esmerelda," and he vows to prove her a fraud. But his unexpected attraction to the fiery enchantress defies logic. Jenny disrupts every facet of Gareth's calculated plan— until he can’t decide whether to ruin her or claim her for his own. Now, as they engage in a passionate battle of wills, two lonely souls must choose between everything they know . . . and the boundless possibilities of love.

"A gifted fortune-teller from a humble background, Jenny can make even the most sophisticated skeptic believe her predictions simply by batting her smoky eyelashes. Until she meets her match in Gareth Carhart, the Marquess of Blakely, a sworn bachelor and scientist. Broodingly handsome, Gareth is scandalized to discover his cousin has fallen under the spell of 'Madame Esmerelda,' and vows to prove Jenny a fraud. But his unexpected attraction to the fiery enchantress defies logic. Jenny disrupts every facet of Gareth's calculated plan--until he can't decide whether to seduce her or ruin her. Now, as they engage in a passionate battle of wills, two lonely souls must choose between everything they know...and the boundless possibilities of love."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,355,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible