Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan

Proof by Seduction (edition 2010)

by Courtney Milan (Author)

Member:Vierran
Title:Proof by Seduction
Authors:Courtney Milan (Author)
Info:Harlequin Books (2010), E-book
Tags:fiction, romance, historical, e-book

Proof by Seduction by Courtney Milan (Author)

Although both characters and plot seemed a bit unrealistic and dumb, I did warm to Jenny. Sort of. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Well written, passionate, and satisfying. The ending surprised me because it hinted at a trite "Gilbert and Sullivan" resolution but did not actually do that. ( )
  sardman | Jan 6, 2014 |
I've had this book on Mt. TBR and on my kindle for a while. Now that I've read it I can't believe I waited so long. I really enjoyed Gareth and Jenny and their building relationship. In many ways Gareth is the more conventional character of the two. The gruff, arrogant, superior acting lord. However, in the scenes from his POV I think he has a vulnerability that's lacking in a lot of those typical characters. Jenny is a different sort of heroine, one who's living by her wits as Madame Esmeralda, the mysterious fortune teller. A slight spoiler with one of the things I liked most about Jenny: I love that in the end we're no more certain of her parentage than she is. It's sort of implied that she's the illegitimate offspring of someone with a least money if not status but I love that she's never declared some secret daughter of a duke to justify her marriage to Gareth. What keeps this from 5*s for me is the fact that it felt like we spent a bit too much time in the heads of the characters hearing an internal monologue. It wasn't a huge problem for me but it did keep me from that "being swept away" feeling. Still, an impressive debut and one that I enjoyed immensely. Looking forward to Ned's story in the next book and then on to her new series. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
I bought this book on the recommendation of Tessa Dare and I'm glad I did. It was exactly what I was in the mood for the day I read it. The tone and characters matched perfectly what I was feeling and I came away from the book completely satisfied.

There were some flaws, but they didn't bother me in the mood I was in. I'm not sure if I had read this on another day if I would have enjoyed it as much, but as it stands I'd have to say it was an excellent book. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
I appreciate a book that can make me laugh uproariously and bring tears to my eyes. I was sold in the first chapter when the heroine tells her client to eviscerate an orange so she can practice augury with it. I also enjoyed the exploration of how the hero and heroine, on opposite ends of the class/wealth spectrum, are trapped by their circumstances. ( )
  carlyrose | Mar 24, 2013 |
For Tessa and Amy. You believed in me. You pushed me. You waved off every setback and squealed for joy when good things happened. An when I most needed you in a dark, dark time, you held my hand and kept me going.
Twelve years spent plying her trade had taught Jenny Keeble to leave no part of her carefully manufactured atmosphere to chance.
ISBN 1622667697 is for the enhanced edition with audio and pictures.

Jenny Keeble has never let her humble upbringing stop her. She’s made her way in the world as a fortune teller, one who convinces her clients her predictions are correct by telling them what they most want to hear. Business is good… until she meets her match in the form of Gareth Carhart, the Marquess of Blakely, a scientist and sworn bachelor.

Broodingly handsome, Gareth is appalled to discover his cousin has fallen under the spell of "Madame Esmerelda," and he vows to prove her a fraud. But his unexpected attraction to the fiery enchantress defies logic. Jenny disrupts every facet of Gareth's calculated plan— until he can’t decide whether to ruin her or claim her for his own. Now, as they engage in a passionate battle of wills, two lonely souls must choose between everything they know . . . and the boundless possibilities of love.

"A gifted fortune-teller from a humble background, Jenny can make even the most sophisticated skeptic believe her predictions simply by batting her smoky eyelashes. Until she meets her match in Gareth Carhart, the Marquess of Blakely, a sworn bachelor and scientist. Broodingly handsome, Gareth is scandalized to discover his cousin has fallen under the spell of 'Madame Esmerelda,' and vows to prove Jenny a fraud. But his unexpected attraction to the fiery enchantress defies logic. Jenny disrupts every facet of Gareth's calculated plan--until he can't decide whether to seduce her or ruin her. Now, as they engage in a passionate battle of wills, two lonely souls must choose between everything they know...and the boundless possibilities of love."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,700,326 books! | Top bar: Always visible