Committed: A Love Story by Elizabeth Gilbert

Committed: A Love Story (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Member:St.CroixSue
Title:Committed: A Love Story
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:nonfiction, audiobook, memoir, marriage

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (2010)

Say what you will about Elizabeth Gilbert (my only real complaint is that she can sometimes get a little stream of consciousy and rambly), this book had a lot of interesting insights into the weirdness and importance of why we search for and need romantic partnership. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
About 90% of the book was like a dissertation on the institution of marriage. Granted it was the author's self-exploratory and coming to terms with the whole notion of commitment, but it was a rather long and drawn out monologue. Did not enjoy this quite as much as the more introspective 'Eat, Love, Pray.' ( )
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
I picked up "Committed" because I LOVED "Eat, Pray, Love" and expected this book to be a continuation of the famous bestseller. Well, it is a continuation in a sense that the author picks up where the first book ended. However, "Committed" is more like an entertaining research rather than a memoir or a novel.

This book was nothing what I expected, but I am glad I got my hands on it. Before reading this book, I was not particularly interested in the subject (marriage, that is). However, Gilbert's witty writing style can make any subject seem entertaining. Not surprisingly, I became interested in matrimony, or at least its theoretical side.

Do not expect, however, a comprehensive and objective research on matrimony. Due to her unique need to "make peace" with marriage, Gilbert explores the subject from a very unique angle. Yes, "Committed" is full of subjectivity and feminism; however, you do not need to share the author's point of view to enjoy this book. No matter where you stand, this book will likely make you think about marriage in the ways you never thought before (or at least I didn't).

Overall, "Committed" is a well-written, though-provoking book. However, it is not as light and entertaining as "Eat, Pray, Love" and because of that appeals to a smaller audience. ( )
1 vote AgneJakubauskaite | Apr 4, 2014 |
Great book. The author of Eat, Pray, Love, has written her next chapter--that of making a life with the man she met in that book. Though they have a great committed relationship, they have no intent to marry, and happily hop from one country to another, "living" in the United States, but leaving for extended times because he is not a US citizen. Then he is suddenly no longer allowed to enter the U.S. (not officially deporting him: "We're just refusing him entrance to the United States on the grounds that he's been visiting America too frequently in the last year.") Given this sudden and unexpected turn of events, they decide to marry in order to secure him a more permanent visa. But that cannot happen right away--these things take time. So for the next ten months, they trot the globe, and work with an immigration lawyer. And Gilbert explores how and whether she really can embrace getting married, given her bad feelings about the institution of marriage. (Spoiler alert: She can! And they do, eventually marry.) ( )
  cherybear | Jan 1, 2014 |
And yet, if the sum of the parts in “Committed” add up to an awkward whole, many of those parts are nevertheless terrific.

Ms. Gilbert has made "Eat, Pray, Love" look like a happy accident. Her "Committed" is less of a follow-up than an excuse to tread water.

There is no greater risk than matrimony. But there is nothing happier than a happy marriage.

Benjamin Disraeli, 1870, in a letter to Queen Victoria's daughter Louise, congratulating her on her engagement.
Para J. L. N. -- o meu coroa
Late one afternoon in the summer of 2006, I found myself in a small village in northern Vietnam, sitting around a sooty kitchen fire with a number of local women whose language I did not speak, trying to ask them questions about marriage.
Maybe divorce is the tax we collectively pay as a culture for daring to believe in love -83

If you think it's difficult to talk about money when you're blissfully in love, try talking about it later, when you are disconsolate and angry and your love has died. -116

Leaving a blighted marriage is not necessarily a moral failure, then, but can sometimes represent the opposite of quitting: the beginning of hope. -132

another single friend replied, "Wanting to get married, for me, is all about a desire to feel chosen....that will unequivocally prove to everyone, especially to myself, that I am precious enough to have been selected by somebody forever." -169
Even within my own community, I can see where I have been vital sometimes as a member of the Auntie Brigade. My job is not merely to spoil and indulge my niece and nephew (though I do take that assignment to heart) but also to be a roving auntie to the world — an ambassador auntie — who is on hand wherever help is needed, in anybody's family whatsoever. There are people I've been able to help, sometimes fully supporting them for years, because I am not obliged, as a mother would be obliged, to put all my energies and resources into the full-time rearing of a child. There are a whole bunch of Little League uniforms and orthodontist's bills and college educations that I will never have to pay for, thereby freeing up resources to spread more widely across the community. In this way, I, too, foster life. There are many, many ways to foster life. And believe me, every single one of them is essential.
This was tentatively titled Weddings and Evictions but was never published under this title.

The #1 New York Times bestselling follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love--an intimate and erudite celebration of love.

At the end of her memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian living in Indonesia. The couple swore eternal love, but also swore (as skittish divorce survivors) never to marry. However, providence intervened in the form of a U.S. government ultimatum: get married, or Felipe could never enter America again. Told with Gilbert's trademark humor and intelligence, this fascinating meditation on compatibility and fidelity chronicles Gilbert's complex and sometimes frightening journey into second marriage, and will enthrall the millions of readers who made Eat, Pray, Love a number one bestseller.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:03 -0400)

Picking up where her bestselling memoir "Eat, Pray, Love" left off, Gilbert details the extraordinary circumstances that surround her love with Felipe, the man she swore never to marry.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,130,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible