Committed: A Love Story by Elizabeth Gilbert

Committed: A Love Story (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Title:Committed: A Love Story
Authors:Elizabeth Gilbert
Info:Penguin Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 304 pages
Tags:nonfiction, audiobook, memoir, marriage

Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage by Elizabeth Gilbert (2010)

Yes, this is the third review in a row that I've done of Elizabeth Gilbert's books. I tend to read in series anyway, and lately it's been a lot of non-fiction by women. I finished Big Magic , loved it, then re-read Eat, Pray, Love and loved it again. Then, oddly enough, Committed showed up at my local used bookstore. I honestly was not going out of my way to look for it. But, it was there, probably telling me "read this next".

Written just after Eat, Pray, Love was published (but not yet a best-seller-- but it was by the time Committed went to press), Committed is the story of how Elizabeth Gilbert (EG) and Felipe, the guy she meets and falls in love at the end of EPL, find out-- thanks to Homeland Security-- that if they want to continue to be together in the United States, they have to get married. While they get this long approval process sorted out, EG also sorts out her feelings about marriage --she had Felipe had originally planned never to get married to each other, in spite of loving each other -- and as she does, she shares her research with us on the history and beliefs on marriage.

This is not a anthropological study, and not extensive in general, but that was not EG's intent. I found this book interesting, and also thought-provoking, but focused on couplehood rather than EPL's spirituality focus.
  ValerieAndBooks | Nov 10, 2015 |
Elizabeth Gilbert is a witty, intelligent and compassionate author who was afraid to marry a second time due to a heart-wrenching divorce from her first husband. Since the only way her Brazilian-born lover, Felipe, could stay in the United States was by marrying her, she spent 10 months researching the history of marriage hoping to make peace with it. She encountered some interesting people and stories along her way to find out as much as possible before marrying Felipe.

The author does a nice job of telling us all we would ever need to know regarding the institution of marriage. It's all done in a way that makes this book funny, informative, and interesting. It's well worth reading even if you are already happily married. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Aug 22, 2015 |
I didn't think I'd like this book but I really enjoyed it! At a glance, I figured this would be some boring old tale about two people in love and how they overcame obstacles to be together. It was. But it was so much more...

The author did a wonderful job at including her own educated insights into marriage. She provided many historical and anthropological references to the institute of marriage. The skeptical side of this story was fascinating and made the personal tale all the more interesting. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
Liz Gilbert procura desfazer os mitos, desmontar os medos, construir uma perspectiva histórica e trocar fantasias românticas por vitais compromissos emocionais.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 5, 2014 |
Say what you will about Elizabeth Gilbert (my only real complaint is that she can sometimes get a little stream of consciousy and rambly), this book had a lot of interesting insights into the weirdness and importance of why we search for and need romantic partnership. ( )
  abbeyhar | Jul 23, 2014 |
And yet, if the sum of the parts in “Committed” add up to an awkward whole, many of those parts are nevertheless terrific.
Ms. Gilbert has made "Eat, Pray, Love" look like a happy accident. Her "Committed" is less of a follow-up than an excuse to tread water.
There is no greater risk than matrimony. But there is nothing happier than a happy marriage.

Benjamin Disraeli, 1870, in a letter to Queen Victoria's daughter Louise, congratulating her on her engagement.
Para J. L. N. -- o meu coroa
Late one afternoon in the summer of 2006, I found myself in a small village in northern Vietnam, sitting around a sooty kitchen fire with a number of local women whose language I did not speak, trying to ask them questions about marriage.
Maybe divorce is the tax we collectively pay as a culture for daring to believe in love -83

If you think it's difficult to talk about money when you're blissfully in love, try talking about it later, when you are disconsolate and angry and your love has died. -116

Leaving a blighted marriage is not necessarily a moral failure, then, but can sometimes represent the opposite of quitting: the beginning of hope. -132

another single friend replied, "Wanting to get married, for me, is all about a desire to feel chosen....that will unequivocally prove to everyone, especially to myself, that I am precious enough to have been selected by somebody forever." -169
Even within my own community, I can see where I have been vital sometimes as a member of the Auntie Brigade. My job is not merely to spoil and indulge my niece and nephew (though I do take that assignment to heart) but also to be a roving auntie to the world — an ambassador auntie — who is on hand wherever help is needed, in anybody's family whatsoever. There are people I've been able to help, sometimes fully supporting them for years, because I am not obliged, as a mother would be obliged, to put all my energies and resources into the full-time rearing of a child. There are a whole bunch of Little League uniforms and orthodontist's bills and college educations that I will never have to pay for, thereby freeing up resources to spread more widely across the community. In this way, I, too, foster life. There are many, many ways to foster life. And believe me, every single one of them is essential.
This was tentatively titled Weddings and Evictions but was never published under this title.

The #1 New York Times bestselling follow-up to Eat, Pray, Love--an intimate and erudite celebration of love.

At the end of her memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian living in Indonesia. The couple swore eternal love, but also swore (as skittish divorce survivors) never to marry. However, providence intervened in the form of a U.S. government ultimatum: get married, or Felipe could never enter America again. Told with Gilbert's trademark humor and intelligence, this fascinating meditation on compatibility and fidelity chronicles Gilbert's complex and sometimes frightening journey into second marriage, and will enthrall the millions of readers who made Eat, Pray, Love a number one bestseller.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:35 -0400)

Picking up where her bestselling memoir "Eat, Pray, Love" left off, Gilbert details the extraordinary circumstances that surround her love with Felipe, the man she swore never to marry.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible