I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It by Adam…

I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It

by Adam Selzer

The Good: This was a quick, easy read. Well written, with nothing too graphic (romance or horror related) for its target audience. There were some cute and witty things said and going on throughout the book and other than the gaping holes in Ali's logic, I found this to be a fairly decent read.

The Bad: Ali lives in a world where the paranormal are out of the coffin, yet she fails to notice Doug is a zombie, rather assuming he's just super good at dressing up all goth-like. When he wears the same clothes every time she sees him, it isn't a turn off. And when he describes his "illness" to her, she just never gets it. They date for like a week, and Ali seriously considers becoming undead for him. After a week. Because she loves him. After a week. Did I mention it was like a week? Because, yeah, I hate that. ( )
1 vote TequilaReader | Jul 29, 2013 |
First I have to say that since I've been tackling the YA Zombie bookshelf, I've been very disappointed with the lack of blood and guts. I'm not sure if this is because authors and publishers are hesitant to publish those types of books for teens or if there isn't the demand for them. I can only speak for myself when I say that as a teen I would have loved a good bloody Zombie book!

As for I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It, there's zero blood and guts. There's the suggestion of it, but no description, no battle that the reader gets to read, just one character telling another that it's not a pretty scene.

Lack of gore aside, I actually enjoyed this book. It had a strong female character who even though she initially waivers in her beliefs, ultimately figures out that life is worth living to the fullest. There was a predictability to parts of the plot, but I was never exactly sure what would happen in the end. Alley's character really does struggle with her decisions about love, life and death. It doesn't seem forced and the ending, despite the tears I shed (Yes, I cried while reading a seemingly humorous zombie book), didn't leave me feeling sad. I thought that Selzer handled Alley and Doug's choices well, and Alley shows actual growth of character, an aspect that seems to be missing from so many popular YA books.

This was definitely an enjoyable book and I'm hoping to find more from Adam Selzer. ( )
1 vote AngelaFristoe | Aug 1, 2012 |
226 p. Le livre est o.k. Vocabulaire assez facile. Le thème de vampire, sauf que ce sont des zombies, avec une ado indépendante qui tombe pour une zombie... Il y a seulement une fille qui l'a lu mais qui ne l'a pas aimé, mais j'ai confiance que quelqu'un l'aimera. ( )
  aimelire | May 31, 2012 |
Alley (Algonquin) Rhodes is known as an ice queen that verbally cuts down anyone in her path. She writes cutting concert reviews for the school paper. Unlike everyone else, she isn't interested in dating the undead or anyone at all. The undead have revealed themselves to the world because Megamart raised zombie workers from the grave to be exploited for slave labor. Obviously, vampires wouldn't stand for that sort of treatment, so they rose and up and fought for their rights. Unfortunately it's created this widespread enamor of vampires throughout Alley's school, much to her chagrin. On assignment for the school paper, Alley goes to a club to tear down a vampire band that really sucks. She is suddenly enamored by a guest singer, Doug, that steps in and sings one of her favorite songs with just the right feeling. Falling head over heels with each other, Alley and Doug start to date. They have so much in common, but it's kind of strange that Doug always wears the same clothes and has this weird disease...

I honestly wasn't expecting much from this book with the Katy Perry inspired title (I really hate that song), but it surprised me. It's a fun, tongue-in-cheek satire with biting humor and cute characters. If you are looking for super hardcore and serious zombies, you won't find them here. There was a pretty cool ravenous zombie scene, but it mostly takes place out of sight of Alley. I loved that Adam Selzer poked fun at pop culture and issues in our world today. Megamart and their shady business practices exploiting workers is a great stab at Walmart. If it were at all possible to raise free labor from the dead, I'm sure they would. The overall atmosphere of rabid vampire love skewered the ravenous and numerous Twilight fans. I'm sure there are many people tired of the fandom just like Alley. The overly dramatic and bossy demeanor of the vampire that has a crush on Alley really pinpointed just how creepy Edward in Twilight is, especially faced with skeptical Alley. The best thing that was portrayed through this supernatural world was the teenage experience, especially that special first love. Alley was willing to make huge life decisions based on her feelings for a guy she hadn't even known that long. The story did a great job showing how immature and crazy that is, unlike so many other teen books that glorify this ridiculous situation. The humor was pitch perfect and it made the book so much fun to read.

Alley, although at times annoying, was the star of the novel because she encompassed the teenage experience. She was a typical teenage girl: totally committed to being single until she meets the perfect guy and then ready to do crazy things to keep that love alive. She completely goes back on her convictions, but that's what teens do. It's easy to judge other people's relationships and dumb decisions, but it's different when it's your own. She started out treated practically everyone like garbage and put her ambitions over any relationship. Then she met Doug, the zombie, and was willing to throw it all away and become a zombie to be with him, the same thing she mocked the vampire groupies for before. I felt it was a good portrayal of a teen and how head vs. heart conflicts can change when they are faced with the situation themselves. Zombie Doug was pretty awesome too, providing Alley a kindred spirit. He had a good head on his shoulders and didn't encourage Alley to do anything irrevocably crazy to be with him.

I Kissed a Zombie and I Liked It was a fast, funny read. I loved the satirical elements and of course I love zombies, even if they are the romantic type. Zombie violence wasn't completely absent, but it wasn't the focus of the novel. I would recommend this to those zombie fans looking for a fun, light read. ( )
1 vote titania86 | Mar 28, 2012 |
Alley (short for Algonquin) Rhodes lives in a world of post-humans, but that doesn’t matter to her. She’s the meanest girl in the Vicious Circle, her group of student newspaper reporter friends, and when she is asked to review one of her high school’s bands, her reputation as a mean girl is definitely not at stake. The band is absolutely horrible, right down to their name, the Sorry Marios, and Alley lets the band have it in her review. She sends it off mere minutes after the Marios come onstage, knowing there’s no way they could possibly outperform what she’s written. Then a guest singer ambles onstage, and begins throatily singing a Cole Porter song. Alley’s favorite. Doug, the singer, launches from Porter into a Leonard Cohen ballad, unwittingly ensuring that Alley is absolutely, positively head over heels in love with him.
Waiting for the catch?
Doug is a zombie.
After a discussion with her beloved, Alley soon realizes that she doesn’t care whether Doug is a zombie or if he’s got no limbs and a colostomy bag – because she loves him no matter what. Soon, a la Bella Swan, Alley begins to ponder becoming a zombie herself so she can stay with her man forever. If dating a zombie has perks she didn’t even know she wanted, like instant popularity, a shot at winning prom king/queen, what is keeping her from becoming a zombie herself?
First of all, there are her parents. They don’t want their daughter to throw her life away – though she thinks of it as the complete opposite of that, since she will be gaining immortality. In an argument with her parents, Alley likens her father’s conversion to Judaism to her desire to “convert to being dead” for Doug. Right. Secondly, there’s her mixed-relationships-hating vampire guidance counselor, who offers her the opportunity to become a vampire instead (Bella, be still your beating heart!) As Alley’s friend Peter says, “When your guidance counselor tells you to die, you really have problems!” Third, Doug hasn’t texted her back in almost 24 hours, and why die for someone who can’t even reply to a text in a timely manner? Fourth, a pamphlet from the nurse’s office reminds Alley that “the surgeon general has repeatedly warned against dying for any reason” – especially love.

Read Alikes:
Generation Dead, Zombie Blondes, Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares, The Ghost and the Goth, Dead is the New Black.
Funnier, wittier, better written & more sophisticated than Twilight. ( )
1 vote kaledrina | Mar 22, 2011 |

Algonquin “Ali” Rhodes, the high school newspaper’s music critic, meets an intriguing singer, Doug, while reviewing a gig. He’s a weird-looking guy—goth, but he seems sincere about it, like maybe he was into it back before it was cool. She introduces herself after the set, asking if he lives in Cornersville, and he replies, in his slow, quiet murmur, “Well, I don’t really live there, exactly. . . .”

When Ali and Doug start dating, Ali is falling so hard she doesn’t notice a few odd signs: he never changes clothes, his head is a funny shape, and he says practically nothing out loud. Finally Marie, the school paper’s fashion editor, points out the obvious: Doug isn’t just a really sincere goth. He’s a zombie. Horrified that her feelings could have allowed her to overlook such a flaw, Ali breaks up with Doug, but learns that zombies are awfully hard to get rid of—at the same time she learns that vampires, a group as tightly-knit as the mafia, don’t think much of music critics who make fun of vampires in reviews. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:00 -0400)

Living in the post-human era when the undead are part of everyday life, high schooler Alley breaks her no-dating rule when Doug catches her eye, but classmate Will demands to turn her into a vampire and her zombie boyfriend may be unable to stop him.

Adam Selzer is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible