Lucan by Susan Kearney

Lucan & Cael both work in the same lab on Pendragon & are instantly attracted to one another. Both their worlds, Earth and Pendragon are in desperate situations. The one thing both of their worlds need is the Holy Grail. It could also be the one thing that could tear them apart.

Lucan is a non-stop, entertaining read. Filled with adventure and steamy scenes. Lucan and Cael sizzle. Ms. Kearney has done a wonderful job creating this new world. My favorite part of the story has been the dragon element. I think fans of the King Arthur legends will enjoy this new twist. This was my first time reading Susan Kearney's work, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. ( )
  vampiregirl76 | Jul 5, 2010 |
Susan Kearney’s LUCAN looked interesting and captured my interest with it’s lovely cover and intriguing synopsis. I figured it would be a cute romance and a nice fantasy with enough action to keep the reader engaged. What I did not expect that a thrilling tale bursting forth from a new take on the legend of the Holy Grail. I didn’t expect the story, I didn’t expect the intense chemistry between the characters and I certainly didn’t expect to be so captivated by this book!

Lady Cael lives a sad and lonely life. She is the High Priestess of Pendragon and goes through every day without the touch of a single soul. From the time she was trained to be a Priestess as a young child, it became a taboo to touch her and more than that, anyone found doing so would be put to death. Even her family has a strict hands-off rule. If that wasn’t depressing enough, try having a sudden and overwhelming desire build up for a man just arrived on Pendragon. He can’t touch her and yet every fiber of her being yearns for him. Want to talk about romantic tension? Here it is!

Earth is dying, or rather, the people on Earth are. Infertility has spread across the planet like a nasty plague and Lucan’s sister is not immune. After she loses another baby, her twin brother Lucan sets out on a quest to cure her and the other women of Earth. After discovering ancient documents that describe the Holy Grail and where it can be found, Lucan sets off on a trip through space to Pendragon where his fate and that of Lady Cael will eventually meet.

I’ve said it time and time again. Tension makes a story, especially a romantic story. Tension is the element that keeps the reader wanting to turn the pages. When you say, “Oh, just one more paragraph/page/chapter,” and yet you just can’t seem to stop at that mark, that’s tension at play. A book with no tension has no way to grab on to the reader and pull them in, gripping like some fierce magnet. I am thrilled to say that the tension is definitely present in LUCAN. Kearney does an amazing job of making the story easy to read and engaging while at the same time keeping it from getting too heavy. There is such a thing as too much tension, in my opinion. Tension should rise and fall like a wave; constant high tension is bound to wear the reader out. Kearney is obviously a master at this ruling aspect of writing because the tension just felt perfect through the story.

Just as it is hard to watch a romantic scene between two actors on television when they have no chemistry, it’s equally hard to watch a romantic scene between two characters in a book when they have no chemistry. In some aspects I think that writing a romance might be harder than filming one because you have to create the chemistry and I don’t think that is a natural talent for everyone. Again, Kearney surprised me with the romantic touch she gave to her characters. With the obvious forbidden attraction between Lady Cael and Lucan aside, the characters still maintained a wonderfully bit of chemistry between them. While reading, I constantly pictured Cael and Lucan as two magnets drawn to each other. Kearney’s work her definitely helped to make the story for me and has created a romance that will appeal to many.

Lastly, I have to discuss the overall plot of this book. I think it was a brilliant idea to combine a story that usually deals with knights, castles and a semi fantasy based reality with a complete departure from reality. We have the legend of the Holy Grail in the same story as space travel and shapeshifting High Priestesses. Awesome! Kearney’s beautiful writing would have in and of itself drawn me in to the story, but it was the story that she fashioned that made this a success in my eyes and will most likely become a success everywhere else.

Fair warning time: There are adult themes and adult scenes within the pages of LUCAN.

I obviously have to give top marks to LUCAN. This was a wonderful book that I would be thrilled to read over and over. I have a feel it would never get old either. Lovers of Romance will just adore this while fans of Science Fiction / Fantasy will find a new and refreshing take on an old tale. ( )
  cinnleigh | Mar 31, 2010 |
This book floated around several books blogs for quite a while in anticipation of it’s release date. It appeared everywhere and there several contests in place to win a copy….and I was fortunate to win one!

I was very keen to try the book out, but one thing that hadn’t sunk in was that the story was set in the future—a space age paranormal romance. Hmm…wonder how I missed that. So, I was a little unsure of myself as I set about reading the story, but found that I was actually quite interested in it by the time I finished. I mean, I must have been really interested because I just read that Rion (Pendragon Legacy, Book #2) is about to be released and now I’m a little giddy.

Returning back to my thoughts on Lucan…Kearney displays her talent as a storyteller. I was impressed with the way she developed her lead characters, Cael and Lucan. I could feel their personalities very strongly throughout the book, especially during the…hmm…steamier sections? And yes, there were plenty of those…

I cannot add much more to my thoughts because I try to stay away from spoiler material in my posts; however, there is one particular detail in this book that appealed to me, but you’ll just have to read to figure that out. Happy Reading! ( )
  OregonKimm | Feb 5, 2010 |
This is a good read. About a guy who is looking for the Holy Grail and has to travel to Avalon to retrieve it not knowing that Avalon is on another planet. I would recommend it to dragon lovers. ( )
  AngelLocke | Dec 14, 2009 |
When the inhabitants of Earth seem to be doomed by infertility, it is up to Lucan Roarke to help find a way to save the human race. He believes that if he is to find the Holy Grail, he might have found just what humans need in order to heal their bodies and help jump start their reproductive systems. If he fails, they face possible extinction.

Set some time in the unknown future, Lucan stumbles upon a map that leads him to believe that the Grail is on a distant planet named Pendragon. It takes him several years (including a few to learn their language) but eventually he is able to land there and blend in with the scientists on the planet as an archeologist and Dragonian linguist.

There he meets the Lady Cael - the High Priestess of Pendragon. She is revered by her people because of her abilities as a Dragonshifter. From a young age her family sent her away to fulfill her destiny as High Priestess and since then she has never had the luxury of having friends, being close to her family, or even a touching hand. For it is forbidden that she be touched - punishable by death, and she has resigned herself to her life of solitude. That is until she meets Lucan, who not only touches her making her crave things that are forbidden, but who sees and treats her as a woman.

Lucan cannot afford the feelings he has for Cael - as he is Earth’s only hope for survival. But when they must join forces to defeat the Tribes who want to find the Grail and use it for their own evil purposes - he finds that no matter how much he fights it, he will not be able to accomplish his mission without her - although it might mean losing his heart (or gaining one) in the process.

This is the first in the Pendragon Legacy Trilogy. The second, Rion comes out in December 2009, and Jordan coming in March 2010. Although at first I was a bit skeptical about King Arthur, the Holy Grail and the whole dragon thing, but once I got past that I truly enjoyed this. Lucan is hawt! And Lady Cael, a simmering little seductress. They are a match made in... heaven space. They had this great relationship with plenty of push and pull and witty dialogue.... oh, and did I mention steaming love scenes. This was a great start to what I’m sure will be a fantastic series. You already get your introduction to Rion here and from his heroics in this book and what I was able to read of the first chapter from his book - seems like he is quite the catch too. I loved the concept of the quest for the Holy Grail - and I thought it was utterly clever that Ms. Kearney came up with the idea that the Holy Grail has never been found because they’ve always looked for it on the wrong planet... just priceless. Filled with adventure, mystery, politics, myths, shape-shifting and, of course, did I mention those steaming love scenes... [sighs]. This was a quick, light and fun read that I recommend to anyone who likes their romances with a sci-fi twist , and of course, those steaming love scenes. ( )
  bookwormygirl | Oct 28, 2009 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446543314, Mass Market Paperback)

THEIR LOVE IS FORBIDDEN

Healer and high priestess of her people, Lady Cael is fated to life without a mate. But a mysterious explorer named Lucan Rourke doesn't know her secrets, and his touch makes her crave a future that her extraordinary birthright has forbidden her. . .

BUT DANGER IS NO MATCH FOR DESIRE

Lucan has just one mission on Pendragon: to find the mythical Holy Grail, Earth's only hope for survival. His powerful attraction to Cael is a distraction he can't afford, unless he convinces her to join forces with him. Yet working so closely together only heightens their passion . . . even when the terrifying truth of Cael's heritage threatens to shatter Lucan's every belief-and the galaxy itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:23 -0400)

Lucan is sent to Pendragon on a mission: to find the mythical Holy Grail. He enlists the help of high prietess Cael, only to awaken a powerful attraction between them.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible