Radiant Shadows by Melissa Marr

Radiant Shadows

by Melissa Marr

Series: Wicked Lovely (4)

English (57)  Italian (2)  All languages (59)
Melissa Marr has done it again with Radiant Shadows. She manages to bring a dark seductive nature to her YA novels and this one is no exception.

It charts the relationship between Gabriel, High Court assassin and brother of Sorcha and Bananach and Ani, halfling member of the Wild Hunt and Dark Court.

Beautifully written, it is seductive, dark and full of decent characters. Her female protaganists are usually not mooning after a boy and they can more than handle themselves. She also does not shy away from non standard relationships. I find myself loving Niall and Irial more and more as the books go on. There's just something so appealing about her dark court bad boys.

If there's any negatives, it falls on Ani being unable to exercise any kind of caution and Seth. I'm sorry to all the Seth fans but I don't feel anything for the character. He's just too 'special' and I can't see why.

But am looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |

But am looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Claire.Warner | Feb 8, 2015 |
Half-mortal daughter of the Gabriel (the leader of the Dark King’s guard known as The Hunt) Ani has some appetites that cannot be satisfied short of murder. In a no-woman’s land between a mortal world she’s too fae for, and a faerie that could kill her, she mostly has to sit and hide. Your basic petulant riot grrrl, she spends a lot of the book sulking and running until she catches the eye of a very dangerous faerie indeed. Then she scowls and they run together. Meanwhile, Faerie is being unmade as Sorcha pines for Seth and Bananach is edging ever closer to destroying their entire world and everyone in it.

Though I enjoyed the character of Devlin (the High Queen’s assassin and brother-son creation with her sister Bananach), and his dreamwalker ghost-friend Rae introduced in this book, I found the book as a whole rather pointless. Like so much filler. There was one major plot point both introduced and resolved within it, so I feel the series could easily stand without this novel. I actually had stopped reading after Fragile Eternity because I knew this book was about Ani and I just wasn’t interested in her at all as a character. It took me five years to get back to the series. The whole thing reminded me of the advice to “kill your darlings”. Interviews with Marr reveal that she loves the Ani character beyond reason, and it does seem that she felt the audience would connect with the character intuitively (while I found her irritating and incomprehensible). This is probably because I lean more Sorcha than Bananach, and Ani just does things all the time for no reason other than to be doing them and then gets mad when they end in disaster. It pisses me off. The end result of this novel felt redundant within the framework of faerie. This is one darling that should’ve been killed. ( )
  ArmchairAuthor | Jul 3, 2014 |
I am an absolute sucker for the court politics and history, and the Dark Court, oh, and Irial, God I love him. Great book and a nice break from Aislinn and Keenan. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
what to say, very well written. i liked it a lot but still i couldn't give the fifth star. something was missing and i don't know what it is. i liked the characters and how the story flowed, i want to read the next book yes, but only for how the last chapters went. there should have been more. more with Seth, Nial and Ash. ( )
  Sarah.Hansrote | Feb 12, 2014 |

Melissa Marrprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landrum, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Asia and Dylan, my amazing beasties. It's a privilege to be your mother. (And, really? I do so love you more, most, and always. *grin* How's that for getting the last word?)
Devlin stood immobile as the spectral girl approached.

Ani, a half-mortal driven by her hungers, and Devlin, faery assassin and brother to the High Queen, have reason to fear one another even as they are drawn together to save all of Faerie.

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

HarperCollins Childrens Books

An edition of this book was published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,069,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible