My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Keep (edition 2010)

by Rachel Vincent

Member:mirrani
Title:My Soul to Keep
Authors:Rachel Vincent
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Kindle Edition, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Series, Book info needs work
Tags:young adult, fantasy, paranormal, romance, Series: Soul Screamers, WTR

My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

Wow. That’s all I can say to start this review. Though I knew generally what this book was about from the Goodreads synopsis, I still love that it picked right up in the first chapter, and I always find it interesting how Vincent introduces the main conflict. The pacing of the story really worked for me, too. I found myself listening as much as possible and late into the night. I have never finished an audiobook so fast before! There was plenty of intense moments that had me holding my breath, and even more mystery! This book definitely had me flipping – er, listening – feverishly! I also loved how there were a couple of little things in the book that seemed completely mundane that actually came back to be really significant later in the story, which I never saw coming. Unfortunately, there were a few things that I did see coming. Oddly enough, even though I’m always trying to figure out what’s going on, I don’t really like when I’m right!

I really liked most of the character development in this book. Kaylee finally seems to be growing into her own and showing a backbone, rather than the insecure version of herself from the previous book, and I started to like her a lot more in this book. Nash was very unpredictable and kind of an ass. Kaylee’s father also seems to be finding a good middle ground as a father, rather than the overprotective mess from the previous book. My one big complaint is that Tod is missing for most of the first half or more of the book. I think he might be my favorite character!

I really liked the end of the book. Trying not to give too much away, but the last chapter specifically, really shows how much Kaylee grows throughout this book. I really recommend this book, and I can’t wait to start the next!

Only because of the fact that I was able to predict a couple of things, I’m giving this book 4 – 4.5 stars. I really loved it, but that little bit of predictability makes me not able to give it a full 5 stars.

This review is also posted on Mommy's Reading Break ( )
  mrso822 | Sep 21, 2013 |
The thing with this series is they are over three hundred pages long but nothing much seems to happen. That being said, this was probably the best so far. ( )
  lcrabtree | Jul 17, 2013 |
OMG OMG OMG I looooved it! It was so full of unexpected and surprises!! Gaaah but Nash...you were an asshole....fortunately Tod was there to save the day...Tod ( )
  JustAnotherYABlog | Jun 11, 2013 |
This is the book where everything is about to change.

Author Rachel Vincent shows she has a strong vision of where this series is going and isn’t afraid to shake things up. In My Soul To Keep, she gets into the theme of addiction and how it can tear apart relationships, ruin lives, and even lead to death. When Kaylee and Nash attend a party that ends with Kaylee’s car totaled by Nash’s friend and teammate, Doug, they discover that the highly addictive Netherworld substance “Demon’s Breath” has made its entry into the human world. As other members of the football team start showing signs of the addiction, Kaylee hunts desperately to find the source of the drug. To add to her problems, she keeps getting pulled into the Netherworld when she falls asleep, and Nash is starting to look for more than she is willing to give. Kaylee’s life is getting more complicated by the day, and a betrayal by one she loves is about to bring it all crashing down.

My Soul To Keep is easily the most complex of the series so far. There is an incredible amount going on in this book and by the end of it we are forced to see some characters in a new light. Addiction is serious business with serious consequences and someone Kaylee loves is going to have to pay them. And that is just the beginning, because the Demon’s Breath is just preparation for an even bigger event – Avari is back and he has a scheme to make himself the most influential hellion ever.

In each book, we meet a new character and in this one it is Alec, a human proxy for Avari who basically acts as assistant and energy snack for the hellion. Alec is desperate to escape the Netherworld and Kaylee looks like the best chance he has had in years. Making his presence known in an unusual way leads Kaylee to the truth of how deep a loved one’s betrayal has gone, and her belief in them is deeply shaken. We also have the opportunity to revisit a previous character as we learn how Addison, Tod’s ex, is coping with the eternal torment of her soul at Avari’s hands (hint: not well). But as Avari’s plan starts to unfold, Tod and Kaylee are going to need her help as they team up to save Alec and the ones they love. I have to say that when I started this book I had no idea it would end up where it did.

Vincent’s characters are just as engaging as ever, and Kaylee continues to show her determination to help those in need. This is the first time, though, where we see her turning to Tod on her own for assistance as things go beyond what she can handle. Her relationship with Nash is starting to strain, as she worries that he will turn elsewhere for what she is not ready to give him yet. I really like that these characters are facing real teenage problems, even though the paranormal is all around. Drugs, not letting friends drive drunk, and sexual pressure are common issues that young people face. Seeing how Kaylee responds to these problems gives the reader food for thought.

With its twists and turns and always intriguing characters, My Soul To Keep is a thrilling and heartbreaking installment in Rachel Vincent’s Soul Screamer series. Relationships are shaken, bonds are broken, and danger is ever-present. Nothing is the same when this story ends. ( )
  eomalley | May 26, 2013 |
This is really, really hard! I wonder if Kaylee will ever be able to forgive Nash, I'm really not sure if I could if I was her. *tear*

Now that I've finished the whole book, I feel thouroughly empty, and so sad for Kaylee, and a little bit sad for Nash. He really screwed up big time, and I really don't see what he can do so that Kaylee can trust hi again and maybe love him again, I just want to curl up in a ball and cry!

Kaylee never lost it, though, she's one tough cookie, and she knows what needs to get done, then she just does it - once she's made up her mind to help someone, she gives it her all, and even when she's really scared, she is still able to do what has to be done.

Sohpie is pissing me off! I am so happy Tod actually knocked her out, she totally deserved that :D

I hope Kaylee will be able to talk everything through with her dad and Harmony, and that they will both help her heal. And of course, I hope that Harmony will be able to help Nash get clean, I couldn't stand it if he didn't. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
To Amy, Michelle and Josh.
My memories of you from high school make the nonfantasy elements of Kaylee's life to feel so real to me...
The whole thing started with a wasted jock and a totaled car.

"Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does. Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends--one of whom is already hooked."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible