My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Keep (edition 2010)

by Rachel Vincent

Collections:Your library, Kindle, Series, Book info needs work
Tags:young adult, fantasy, paranormal, romance, Series: Soul Screamers, WTR

My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent

Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

Well, I guess it was too much to hope for no boyfriend drama in a YA! Nash was just a touch too good to be true. In after thought I should have know he was not that perfect cause he is best friends with jerks.

Kaylee is still awesome, if not a little slow on the uptake at times. She has a very faulty memory. Maybe readers who are not reading all the books as once will be surprised buy things but I was kinda like, duh!

Loads more Tod and Emma in this book!! Happy Dance to that!

This book takes the characters deep into some very serious issues. Things are on a whole other level emotionally.

Really great story again. Terrific characters and the events were perfectly paced. I was with it from start to end. The new twists were intriguing and I am eager to see what happens next in this series.

I listened to the audiobooks narrated by Amanda Ronconi, one of my absolute favorites!! She does a terrific job with all the voices keeping them distinct and consistent. She has a fun snarky tone that adds to the read. I am also a fan of her swift reads, she instills energy and drama into key moments in the narration. The girl gives good voice! I suggest picking them up if you are into audio. ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
For more reviews, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

What do you say I keep this one short, huh? After all, this book is pretty short, and, on the whole, I don’t feel that different than I did about the first two books. Soul Screamers continues to be fun, but still fails to hit a level of darkness that will really enrapture me.

In My Soul to Keep, Kaylee, Nash and Tod get wrapped up in yet another mystery, once again not soliciting any help from the grownups. Every time, they all talk about it and they’re like “but our parents would get mad at us” and decide it will be better from everyone if the untrained teenagers handle everything. You guys are silly. Just like most relationship problems could be solved with communication, the Soul Screamers plot lines could have been much more easily resolved with some parental involvement. Oh wait, this is YA. I should be happy there are any supportive parents to be ignored, riht?

The mystery du jour concerns a drug trade for hellion’s breath, which, in case you don’t know from the second book, does terrible things to humans. Huffing demon’s breath results in a high, but is immediately addictive and leads to one of two futures: insanity or death. The message here is that drugs fuck up interpersonal relationships and have no good intermediate or long term affects. Common sense says not to go there. The message is not heavy-handed, though, which is extra good.

Mostly what I got out of this installment from an overarching plot perspective is the destruction of the Nash/Kaylee ship. Now, don’t start yelling spoilers, because this isn’t a canon thing. This is a Christina no longer remotely approving thing, regardless of where the series goes with it from here, at least this is what I say now. A talented author can be quite convincing, so I guess you’ll see how accurate I was as these reviews progress.

The world building continues to be really cool, complex, and filled with mythological awesomeness. I still maintain the potential here. However, Soul Screamers remains a largely fluffy series with occasional dark elements, when I would like to see those two things reversed.

Though this is my least favorite so far, I think, I’m still excited about continuing onwards, as the ratings get really good in the next few books. Will Vincent start doing sadistic things to her characters? One can only hope. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Oct 6, 2014 |
For some reason I'm not really into this series but certain scenes throughout are worth the effort. Those scenes in this one were between Nash and Kaylee after the big revelation. Their relationship gets complicated in a very bad way. I cheered when Tod punched Nash but if I'd have been Kaylee he would've received a good beating with my own two fists and feet. Not only was she lied to but she was betrayed in the most intimate of ways, and I despised her a little for leaving the door open for a possible reunion in the future. I could never do the same.

Tod has to be my favourite character. He gets all the best lines and does everything I'd love to do myself like knock Sophie out, something she's had coming for a long time. He's not perfect, sometimes he doesn't see things the way a normal person would but his heart's always in the right place especially when it comes to Kaylee. He's always protecting her and trying to defend her honour. It's a shame they're not interested in each other romantically, I guess he'll only ever be a big brother.

Vincent isn't afraid to tackle the tough topics but sometimes I think she explains things down to a very basic level, which you usually see in children's books instead of YA so perhaps she underestimates her audience's ability to understand her line of thinking but otherwise this was another easy read. 3.5 stars. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Overall, I enjoyed reading the book ^^ It surprised me to know that Nash was using Demon's breath for an entire month. The plot flowed easily, and it didn't reveal too much of what would happen in the future. Surely I think this book has a lot of good remarks :)
I would mostly recommend this book to people who have a taste for supernatural romance with some suspense. In my opinion, Rachel Vincent is a wonderful author and I'm glad to say, this series had a great deal of potential.

One review I agree with: Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) rated it ***** (5 stars)

Ok so after reading this book I am completely in love with Tod his character becomes much more human in it. I cried through the last chapter but it did leave me a bit confused. I will not post spoilers for the people who haven't read it yet. All I can say is WOW and I can't wait for the next book :)

Yes, I agree with this review. The characters had there own personality, and each stood out in their own way, but I have to say, Tod stood out to me the most. His humorous and charismatic actions, cocky remarks, and boldness. ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |

One review I agree with: Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) rated it ***** (5 stars)

ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
To Amy, Michelle and Josh.
My memories of you from high school make the nonfantasy elements of Kaylee's life to feel so real to me...
The whole thing started with a wasted jock and a totaled car.

"Kaylee has one addiction: her very hot, very popular boyfriend, Nash. A banshee like Kaylee, Nash understands her like no one else. Nothing can come between them. Until something does. Demon breath. No, not the toothpaste-challenged kind. The Netherworld kind. The kind that really can kill you. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. But how? Kaylee and Nash have to cut off the source and protect their friends--one of whom is already hooked."--Amazon.com.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,505,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible