The Den of Shadows by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
    All Just Glass by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: All Just Glass is the direct sequel to The Shattered Mirror, contained in this omnibus.
    The Shapeshifters by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: The Kiesha'ra series collected in The Shapeshifters takes place in the same universe as the Den of Shadows books, though about two thousand years earlier. Either can be read independently of the other.

I picked up this edition as I’m missing two of the books in this series. And wow, did it bring me back. I originally read the series back when I was thirteen, so picking it up again after some time was refreshing.

In the Forests of the Night- While the writing is really stilted in this, it works well with Risika’s narration and you get the sense that you are reading the memories and current events of a three hundred year old vampire. The plot moves a little too quickly for such a short book, but I do like it. I love the world that’s created in the first book, and you really get the idea of the different power struggles and how different the vampires are from one another. Also, there’s a lot going back to Stoker’s idea of vampires in this (can go out in the sun, shape-shifting, faded reflection), which is always a plus in my book.

Demon in My View- I think my biggest problem with this one is that Jessica is an obvious Author Avatar and it shows. While I do like the idea of the shared universe (given her quick cameo in the previous book), this seemed to be a little too on the mark for me. However, it does give an interesting perspective on the romance between Jessica and Aubrey, precisely because she knows that Aubrey’s a vicious bastard- I’m a bit okay with the relationship because Jessica has nothing to lose. I’m still undecided on the explanation of how Jessica knows what she knows (I had the same issue with its use in Persistence of Memory), but it works a bit better in this book.

Shattered Mirror- So, Bella and Edward are star-crossed lovers, torn apart by their families’ feuding…wait, wrong books. (Although in the post-Twilight world, it’s really hard not to make the comparison.) I do like the fact that Nissa and Christopher have a definite reason for attending high school over and over again, and I like how differently you see Sarah react to them with the pressure of her family. I like the full introduction to the witches and their lines (which gets further explored in All Just Glass). The ending is a little sudden, however the sequel picks up right where it leaves off and goes into more detail.

Midnight Predator-This is a much different book than the rest of the series, as we finally get away from New Mayhem’s realm and deal with other vampires. I like the world building and the fact that there’s a much nastier sort of vampires who will break humans any way that they can. However, this also leads to my biggest characterization issue in the whole thing—Jaguar is still presented and commented as being one of the good guys, but nobody (particularly Turquoise) thinks about him ruling a slave empire after we found out about his past. (Which in my book, um. NO.) Not to say it was a bad book, I do like it, this bit just put me on the edge.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
read full review on talksupe.blogspot.com

Here's the thing, Atwater-Rhodes just gave us travel size portions of her fantastic world and she left me craving for more. There's so much more to be told about these vampires and witches whose destinies are too entangled no amount of softener or lubricant can pry them apart. I've been glamoured and if I see the full length ones on my next library visit, I'm sure I'll check it out ( )
  talksupe.blogspot | Sep 25, 2011 |
I have always loved books that give sevral stories in one, it gives me the chance to give sevral reviews in one fowl swoop. In the Forests of the Night really touched me as a fellow animal lover. When the tiger died and she adopted it's fur pattarn as her hair was very beautiful and heart warming. Very deeply involved with getting over your past. Demon in My View really struck me because being a part time author myself it brings the qustion, what if what I write isn't just from my imagenation? This kept me guessing the whole way threw. I actually at one point guessed this and immediatly dismissed it. The right answer is most often the obvious one. Shattered Mirror is a sweet love story yet dangerous, two pepole who seem like the last ones to be toghther are often the ones that should. Midnight Predator is so sad yet angst ridden revenge. What are you to do when your whole life has been forfited? Get revenge. All in all I love this book. I can't decide which is my faviort, Shattared Mirror or Midnight Predator. All in all a vampire story as they should be, dark. ( )
  ImDiffrentSoWhat | May 8, 2011 |
i'm not even done this book and i love it i bought it years back and put it in to my to read pile and i picked it up a bout a week a go and i have not put it down I love every thing a bout it . i dint mind the changing form story to story in the book for it fells like its just fast forwarding it ware some action happens . and i also like the sort chapters cause then i can stop at the beginning of a chapter when it gets latter at night .. over all an amassing read i an really recommend it for throws tired of the sparkly vampires ( )
  cattytonks1503 | Jan 24, 2011 |
Den of Shadows is a great read. As soon as I picked it up I could not put it down. I like the way that Atwater-Rhodes draws you into the story, like you are there living it but cannot change what is happening. ( )
  CNadeau | Oct 8, 2010 |

FOUR COMPLETE NOVELS—ONE CAPTIVATING WORLD
In the Forests of the Night
Three hundred years ago Risika had a family—a brother and a father who loved her. Three hundred years ago she was human. Now she is a vampire, a powerful one. And her past has come back to torment her.
Demon in My View
Jessica isn’t your average high school student—she’s an acclaimed published author of vampire fiction. Now two new students at her high school strongly remind her of her favorite characters. But those characters only live in her imagination—right?
Shattered Mirror
Christopher Raneva and Sarah Vida may look like a normal high school couple, but he’s actually a vampire who’s sworn off human blood and she’s an incredibly powerful, vampire-hunting witch. As if that weren’t enough to prevent their love, his past and her future collide when they get tangled up with Nikolas, one of the most reviled vampires ever.
Midnight Predator
Once a happy teenager, Turquoise Draka is now a vampire hunter. Her current assigment is to assassinate Jeshikah, one of the cruelest vampires in history. But to do that, she’ll have to enter Midnight, a fabled vampire realm, as a human slave. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:48 -0400)

YA. Fantasy fiction. Horror fiction. IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT Three hundred years ago Risika had a family - a brother and a father who loved her. Three hundred years ago she was human. Now she is a vampire, a powerful one. And her past has come back to torment her. DEMON IN MY VIEW Jessica isn't your average high school student - she's an acclaimed published author of vampire fiction. Now two new students at her high school strongly remind her of her favourite characters. But those characters only live in her imagination - right? SHATTERED MIRROR Christopher Raneva and Sarah Vida may look like a normal high school couple, but he's actually a vampire who's sworn off human blood and she's an incredibly powerful, vampire-hunting witch. As if that weren't enough to prevent their love, his past and her future collide when they get tangled up with Nikolas, one of the most reviled vampires ever. MIDNIGHT PREDATOR Once a happy teenager, Turquoise Draka is now a vampire hunter. Her current assigment is to assassinate Jeshikah, one of the cruellest vampires in history. But to do that, she'll have to enter Midnight, a fabled vampire realm, as a human slave.12 yrs+… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,474,894 books! | Top bar: Always visible