Demon Possessed (Megan Chase, Book 3) by…

Demon Possessed (Megan Chase, Book 3)

by Stacia Kane

This is the third book in the 'Megan Chase' series. I started this book not having read the previous two books in this series and I picked it right up. I understood what was happening and was able to get into the story. I like Megan, she is pretty cool for being partially a demon, I also like Roc her own personal demon. Then there is Greyson, I don't think these two have that much chemistry at all, but, I could have missed the start up chemistry in previous books, could be possible. The plot has some loops and the characters are strong. There isn't much not to like about this book. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This is a very good book. I think the story of Megan and Greyson get better in every book. I love the brothers. There is a part in this book where they all start laughing and giggling. The idea of it had me laughing and almost in tears. I think the series just keeps getting better and better. Now, I cannot wait for the next book to come out. ( )
  mlsimmons | Sep 20, 2013 |
Demon Possessed marks the end of the Megan Chase trilogy as Ms. Kane said there won't be any further books for the foreseeable future. She is focused on the Downside Ghost series which will release a new book later this year.

Megan is a trained psychologist as well as a host of a radio show she didn’t want to do in the first place. She also found out that she’s got a little demon inside of her which gave her the ability to kill two nasty demons. This came from her own father selling her to a demon which left residual traces in her body after she kicked him out. She’s part Psyche Demon which means she has mental powers, not physical. She also managed to grab hold of a group of personal demons, for which she seems to be the only one who doesn’t have one since killing hers at age 16, and making them her own.

Megan is such a frustrating character to follow at times. For someone who is supposed to have a PHD in Psychology and smart, she acts like a clueless child. She grinds away at the readers patience with her inability to make choices and her whining and crying over everything and anything that she doesn’t agree with.

Megan’s character goes against the very thing we’ve been fighting for since the early 20th century; equality without giving up our dignity, our freedoms, and without being constrained by a silly man for our welfare. It’s always the women who have to give up their jobs and livelihood for the male of the species, and in this case, her humanity in order to stay in a relationship with Greyson who otherwise would have only thought of her as a mistress.

I do, however, agree with her on one point. I agree that she shouldn’t have been hit over the head constantly about going thru with the Haiken Kra Ritual in order to make her a full a demon. I know others will respectfully disagree with me since she is the leader of a group of personal demons and can’t protect them as well as a full demon could. That’s all fine and dandy. But, she should have been given the chance to release her hold on said demons if that is what she wanted.

I also believe strongly that Greyson’s inability to tell her the truth from the onset of their relationship, how he felt about her remaining human, should have come out much sooner. He should have told her that if she wasn’t interested in being a demon wife, then he would have to look someplace else. In hiding things from her for 11 months, and then demanding that she be the one to give up everything in order to marry him and have little demon children in order to keep HIM in power and her safe from harm, made him an unfortunate and stereotypical male.

However, this is a moot point since in the end, she does exactly what everyone tells her she should have done months ago; fully embrace her inner demon while battling a horde of humans, demons, and an angel who wanted to kill her, and then agreeing to marry Greyson and have his little minions.

I know this is a paranormal story and the characters are expected to be flexible in their ability to change, but I ask you seriously, why is it necessary to the bottom line of the story? In cases like Cat, the underlying pull of being a vampire was already there. She knew where she came from, and the inevitability of changing completely was always there in the background. In the Kitty Norville series she was bitten prior to the first story so we never knew her as anything else but a werewolf.

Why can’t we as authors/writers keep our heroines fully human without compromising the story and our readers imaginations? Sookie Stackhouse has remained the same over the course of her series, and according to many articles I’ve recently read, she’s going to remain the same until the end. Why then do we change people into demons, vampires, werewolves, and Fae? Is it just to sell a story, or is that the way people in the PNR and UF genres want things to be?

Final words: Throughout this book it was like watching a tennis match between two people who have no clue how to be in a relationship or understand what the other needs. The constant fights, and crying and screaming got to me, but I figured this was the last book in the series so no point in quitting now. Would Megan have been better off with Nick instead?

The most likable characters, in my opinion, were Nick Xao-teng (incubus), Asterope (Tera) Green (witch), and the three demon body guards Mallus, Maleficarum, and Spud.

Under-utilized: Brian Stone the investigative reporter and friend who at the end of the story realizes that Megan changed, something he was against. But, since we don’t have another story to follow up with, we don’t know what will happen to their friendship.

As for the series itself, I give it an overall rating of 3 stars. ( )
  ShelleyJax | Apr 21, 2011 |
ISBN: 9781439167618
I bought this book.

Book three in the Megan Chase series finds Megan, human ruler of a demon clan and psychiatrist, in more trouble. This time Megan is preparing for a big time demon meeting, where a cluster of inhuman beings will try to force her into performing a ceremony that would make her a full demon. It doesn't help that an FBI agent arrives at her office, offering immunity if she'll just testify against the other demons (most of whom run various illegal cartels, not to mention they all seem to attract bodies in large quantities), which includes Megan's rather serious boyfriend, fire demon Greyson Dante.
Megan finds unexpected pressure put on her relationship as the meeting starts, not from the FBI, but from the realization that if she is to have any future with him she will have to become a demon, or let him go forever. Balancing her wants against her needs, and the needs of her clan of "personal demons" is hard enough without the appearance of an angel, who is most definitely trying to kill her. Now Megan must find out who sent the angel, defeat it, decide whether she values her humanity or Greyson more and most importantly: Survive.
Demon Possessed is fast, a little confused at the beginning as all the threads present themselves but before they come together as one related plot. Megan is a bold urban fantasy heroine, who unlike others doesn't seem to be opposed to being rescued, married, and playing a female-oriented role, she just doesn't want to lose herself to other peoples' demands on her. As emotional as the previous book, Demon Inside, but focusing on Megan's future rather than her past, Demon Possessed is at times hard to stomach due to intensity of emotion, not intensity of graphic violence. But it's a good read, and a sad farewell to Megan and Greyson and their family, as this is the last anticipated book in the series. ( )
  Michele_lee | Feb 27, 2010 |
This one is for Stephen.
The woman shifted on the ivory leather couch and smiled. "Thank you for seeing me at such short notice, Dr. Chase."

Psychologist and psychic Megan Chase has grown remarkably comfortable hanging out with demons. The demon "family" she leads is happy, her solo practice is stabilizing, and she and her steamy demon lover, Greyson Dante, are closer than ever. But when the couple books a week at a luxury hotel to attend a meeting of demon leaders, some unanticipated problems appear. An FBI agent with an unhealthy interest in less-than-legitimate demon business practices shows up; the demon community is urging Megan to undergo the rite that will make her a real demon; and a slightly shady minister is holding one of his wildly popular "weekend exorcisms" just down the road. And oh, yes, someone with scary magical abilities is attempting to kill her. Then, just when it seems as if things couldn't possibly get any worse, a secret comes to light that could jeopardize Megan and Greyson's future -- if Megan manages to live that long. With things heating up, it's becoming difficult for her to keep a cool head...

Megan Chase and her steamy demon lover, Greyson Dante, are closer than ever. But when the couple books a week at a luxury hotel to attend a meeting of demon leaders, an FBI agent with an unhealthy interest in less-than-legitimate demon business practices shows up. And the demon community is urging Megan to undergo the rite that will make her a real demon. Then a shady minister is holding one of his wildly popular "weekend exorcisms" down the road. And oh, yes, someone with scary magical abilities is attempting to kill her.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,181,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible