Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane

Unholy Magic

by Stacia Kane

Recently added bygrapeapril75, private library, dra2010, macart3, raselyem7, Irena., msralways, JennyJen, nessiestrange

Okay, I said I really liked the first book but this one takes the cake. It was amazing! I don`t know if I`m angry at Chess for all the stupid things she`s been doing or if I crawl into a bed and cry myself to sleep when I think how things are between Chess and Terrible. Seriously, heart palpitations with the confession scene and from that point on, things just got worse for my poor heart. Pain, physical pain. Can`t freaking wait to read book three. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Spoiler - free!

This is one of those books that holds you in its tight grip and doesn't let you function properly in your everyday life. I neglected my family, friends, and pets for a little over 24hrs. Totally worth it.

I like gritty books that don't hold punches and Kane is a maverick at taking you on an emotional ride that leaves you breathless. It was so easy to step into Chess' place & feel every triumph, every heartache, & every snub like they were my own. I laughed, I sobbed, & I smiled like a lovestruck schoolgirl. I ran the gamut of emotions.

There's not much I'll say as to the plot, but read this series and if you were lukewarm about the 1st book, dive into the 2nd. You won't be disappointed.

3/30/12 - re-read
Kane is amazing. ( )
  JennyJen | Aug 14, 2014 |
This book was painful to read. Heart-wrenchingly painful, to the degree that I had to seriously consider whether or not to finish reading it, because it was starting to seep into my daily life and really bring me down. And it wasn't just that it was painful; it was that Chess was doing it all to herself.

The only thing that really kept me going was the slight hope that Chess would figure it all out and dig herself out of her own hole. And that's what's going to keep me going to the next book.

Unique worldbuilding, interesting linguistics, gripping story. Worth it, if only for hope. ( )
  lyrrael | May 18, 2014 |
The Downside Ghosts series has been a very unique series in and of itself. It has its own vocabulary, and gives a fairly in depth look into the world of addiction. Also it is extremely descriptive that has me internally screaming STOP IT, YOU'RE GIVING EVERYTHING AWAY! WHY ARE YOU LETTING THE MASSES KNOW. You are now warned! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
This series is amazing. Unholy Magic finds Chess still struggling with addiction as well as overcoming her past. Its made very clear in this book how her drug use causes her no end of problems in her life. There is a powerful scene where she goes through a horrific withdrawal, also her addiction leads to her being blackmailed and used by various people for their own benefit. I love that Kane makes her characters so realistic and believable.
Through all the personal issues and stuggles with her relationships, there is a fast paced plot as well as a closer look at the Church of Truth. Personally, I find it horrifying that the church is able to not only punish people in life but also in the afterlife. Just the thought of fallible human beings being able to punish people after death is a scary concept.
The plot was great, for the Church, Chess is working on a reported haunting for a movie star family, and for Bump and Slobag, she is looking into a string of prostitute murders. This book was action packed and hard to put down. I can't wait to see how the series continues.
Stacia Kane has certainly found a place as one of my all time favorite authors with this series. ( )
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |

ENEMIES DON’T NEED TO BE ALIVE TO BE DEADLY.

For Chess Putnam, finding herself near-fatally poisoned by a con psychic and then stopping a murderous ghost is just another day on the job. As an agent of the Church of Real Truth, Chess must expose those looking to profit from the world’s unpleasant little poltergeist problem—humans filing false claims of hauntings—all while staving off any undead who really are looking for a kill. But Chess has been extra busy these days, coping with a new “celebrity” assignment while trying on her own time to help some desperate prostitutes.

Someone’s taking out the hookers of Downside in the most gruesome way, and Chess is sure the rumors that it’s the work of a ghost are way off base. But proving herself right means walking in the path of a maniac, not to mention standing between the two men in her life just as they—along with their ruthless employers—are moving closer to a catastrophic showdown. Someone is dealing in murder, sex, and the supernatural, and once again Chess finds herself right in the crossfire.

Chess is a fiercely independent witch and talented Debunker - working for the Church of Real Truth to exorcise ghosts and expose human liars. But she has a dark little secret that is causing her a lot of problems - a drug addiction. Life is getting too complicated and Chess must break the rules to keep her head above water.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,412,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible