Unholy Magic by Stacia Kane

Unholy Magic

by Stacia Kane

Tissues anyone ? Chess has the hardest time just living and trying to find some happiness seems next to impossible. Her background, her fears, her job and her life style all drag her down a dark and ugly road. Terrible, filled with his own demons, wants to be on that road with her if she would just.....ah but that you have to read to find the answer. We travel with Chess on a horrible hunt to save girls from a murderous ghost. This one has tricks that may end some lives of people Chess knows if Chess can't pull it together. One of her church jobs gets her snowed in and she has to call for help, but who does she call ?
They just keep getting better, this one jerked my heart out and tossed it around and still i want more, fantastic writing ! I'm off to read City of Ghosts ! ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
It was very dark and rather depressing,with a drug taking heroine,and a lot of unpleasant characters.Not my cup of tea,disappointed,had high hopes of it. ( )
  dustydigger | Jan 22, 2016 |
I jumped right into this book from the first one. You can definitely feel more of a draw into this story in this book. I also LOOOOOVVEEE the dynamic that is starting between Chess and another thuggish character. I adore Terrible and I can't wait to see what happens with those two.

The story line was good and Ms. Kane doesn't make me feel like I have to learn an entire new world just to read her book. I love that. I will continue with the series. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Definitely an easier read than the first book. I like the character development here, but the plot relies a bit too much on coincidence for my taste. ( )
  RevBobMIB | Oct 21, 2015 |
This book was painful to read. Heart-wrenchingly painful, to the degree that I had to seriously consider whether or not to finish reading it, because it was starting to seep into my daily life and really bring me down. And it wasn't just that it was painful; it was that Chess was doing it all to herself.

The only thing that really kept me going was the slight hope that Chess would figure it all out and dig herself out of her own hole. And that's what's going to keep me going to the next book.

Unique worldbuilding, interesting linguistics, gripping story. Worth it, if only for hope. ( )
  lyrrael | Oct 17, 2015 |

ENEMIES DON’T NEED TO BE ALIVE TO BE DEADLY.

For Chess Putnam, finding herself near-fatally poisoned by a con psychic and then stopping a murderous ghost is just another day on the job. As an agent of the Church of Real Truth, Chess must expose those looking to profit from the world’s unpleasant little poltergeist problem—humans filing false claims of hauntings—all while staving off any undead who really are looking for a kill. But Chess has been extra busy these days, coping with a new “celebrity” assignment while trying on her own time to help some desperate prostitutes.

Someone’s taking out the hookers of Downside in the most gruesome way, and Chess is sure the rumors that it’s the work of a ghost are way off base. But proving herself right means walking in the path of a maniac, not to mention standing between the two men in her life just as they—along with their ruthless employers—are moving closer to a catastrophic showdown. Someone is dealing in murder, sex, and the supernatural, and once again Chess finds herself right in the crossfire.

Chess is a fiercely independent witch and talented Debunker - working for the Church of Real Truth to exorcise ghosts and expose human liars. But she has a dark little secret that is causing her a lot of problems - a drug addiction. Life is getting too complicated and Chess must break the rules to keep her head above water.… (more)

Stacia Kane is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,867,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible