Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler

Becoming Jane Eyre

by Sheila Kohler

Somewhat dull, and some of the characterizations rubbed me the wrong way (like Patrick being a total jerk and borderline perving on Charlotte. Yikes!). The writing itself wasn't bad, though, and I quite liked the final page or so. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
  Moncoinlecture | Apr 4, 2013 |
It must be me...I just couldn't get into this story and am giving it up after 150 pages. Too many short chapters that leap about in time. Not knowing anything about the Bronte sisters Oran's having forgotten much of Jane Eyre, I just couldn't keep hold of this dark, slippery narrative. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jul 28, 2012 |
I enjoyed this story, an interweaving of a fictionalised segment of Charlotte Bronte's life (the period in which she was writing Jane Eyre) and bits from Jane Eyre itself, tracking the development of the novel and the way the story might have come into being. From what I've read of the Brontes' existence, this feels genuine (or at least, plausible) in its bleakness and in its relationships. ( )
  katelnorth | Mar 12, 2012 |
Read November, 2011

Since I've loved Jane Eyre since I was fourteen years old, I was intrigued by this little novel about Charlotte Bronte, and her experiences leading up to the novel being written. I felt a lot of pity for Ms. Bronte and her sisters, and hope to find a great biography of Charlotte, if not the entire Bronte family.

It was a pretty nice reading experience, but to me this is not a memorable book, and won't be a reread most likely. Still, the subject is near and dear to my heart. ( )
  quillmenow | Feb 9, 2012 |

A beautifully imagined tale of the Brontë sisters, "Becoming Jane Eyre" delicately unravels the connections between one of fiction's most indelible heroines and the remarkable woman who created her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,303,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible