Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler

Becoming Jane Eyre (edition 2011)

by Sheila Kohler

Member:elkiedee
Title:Becoming Jane Eyre
Authors:Sheila Kohler
Info:Corsair (2011), Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle, Acquired 2011, Read 2013
Rating:****1/2

Becoming Jane Eyre by Sheila Kohler

Fantastic. Enjoying it so much that I don't even want to recommend it to people, for fear they will find it not as engaging. Wondering how much my own knowledge and obsession of the family contributes to my enjoyment... ( )
  aliceoddcabinet | Jul 25, 2015 |
Somewhat dull, and some of the characterizations rubbed me the wrong way (like Patrick being a total jerk and borderline perving on Charlotte. Yikes!). The writing itself wasn't bad, though, and I quite liked the final page or so. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
  Moncoinlecture | Apr 4, 2013 |
It must be me...I just couldn't get into this story and am giving it up after 150 pages. Too many short chapters that leap about in time. Not knowing anything about the Bronte sisters Oran's having forgotten much of Jane Eyre, I just couldn't keep hold of this dark, slippery narrative. ( )
  Lcwilson45 | Jul 28, 2012 |
I enjoyed this story, an interweaving of a fictionalised segment of Charlotte Bronte's life (the period in which she was writing Jane Eyre) and bits from Jane Eyre itself, tracking the development of the novel and the way the story might have come into being. From what I've read of the Brontes' existence, this feels genuine (or at least, plausible) in its bleakness and in its relationships. ( )
  katelnorth | Mar 12, 2012 |

A beautifully imagined tale of the Brontë sisters, "Becoming Jane Eyre" delicately unravels the connections between one of fiction's most indelible heroines and the remarkable woman who created her.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,025,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible