Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Jane by the dread pirate April Lindner

How ye liked it:
Pennons:Nought

Jane by the scurvy dog April Lindner

Nought
  1. Prom and Prejudice by the scurvy dog Elizabeth Eulberg (2011)
  2. Lola and the Boy Next Door by the scurvy dog Stephanie Perkins (2011)
  3. Anna and the French Kiss by the scurvy dog Stephanie Perkins (2010)
  4. The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend: a Novel by the scurvy dog Kody Keplinger (2010)
  5. Entwined by the scurvy dog Heather Dixon (2011)
  1. The Mockingbirds by the scurvy dog Daisy Whitney (2010)
  2. Revolution by the scurvy dog Jennifer Donnelly (2010)
  3. Timeless by the scurvy dog Alexandra Monir (2011)
  4. Falling for Hamlet by the scurvy dog Michelle Ray (2011)
  5. StarCrossed by the scurvy dog Elizabeth C. Bunce (2010)
    Jane Eyre by the scurvy dog Charlotte Brontë (spammie1)
    A Breath of Eyre by the scurvy dog Eve Marie Mont (kaledrina)
    New Girl by the scurvy dog Paige Harbison (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: "New Girl" is a retelling of Daphne du Maurier's novel "Rebecca", which is a retelling of "Jane Eyre". New Girl is also marketed for teens.
Hauling away...

Loved it! [b:Jane Eyre|10210|Jane Eyre|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266450134s/10210.jpg|2977639] has always been an all-time favorite, for so many reasons. When I heard that this retelling was coming out, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. I had read a couple of great reviews, but still, I was a little worried that I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would - and I shouldn't have been!

The rock star angle works incredibly well for this story. I loved that Lindner was able to keep the characters and their dynamics essentially the same, while changing so many details from the original. And reading it, you can tell how much she loves Jane Eyre - despite the modernization, it's so faithful to the original in so many little ways. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
I was really impressed by the modern update of Jane Eyre. I didn't really know how well it would translate into the modern day, and Jane Eyre is my favourite book so I had some reservations. This book was done really well though, and I enjoyed it a lot.

For a full review, and to see why it missed out on 5 stars, check out my blog at http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Jane is a modern retelling of Charlotte Bronte's JANE EYRE that really shines when Lindner rputs her own spin on the old story. Rochester as a rock star is a wonderful idea - Nico Rathburn is unapproachable, with a tortured past right out of a VH1 special, good reason to be swooping unpredictably in and out of his own home, understandably paranoid about the media. He's a believable Rochester 2.0.

When Lindner takes a risk and makes up her own encounters between Jane and Nico, she can hit the bull's eye. When Nico Rathburn herds Jane into his dressing room and cajoles her into helping him pick out his outfit for a TV interview, or insists that she attends his band's practice sessions, I totally bought it. Rochester couldn't, or wouldn't, have done those things...but when Nico does it, he's totally channeling Rochester.

JANE is less successful when Lindner stops coming up with her own ideas and re-creates scenes from Jane Eyre almost word-for-word. She is especially guilty of this for the really iconic romantic scenes between Bronte's Jane & Rochester. Maybe Lindner felt obligated to stick close to the original, or didn't dare to mess with perfection. In any case, half of Nico's speeches sound like modern paraphrases of Rochester's, which I generally found jarring and unbelievable.

For example, Nico does a whole narration every time he touches Jane. If he's going to give her a little hug, or shake her hand, or whatever, he always makes an announcement and gets her permission. In Jane Eyre, this makes sense - casual touching like that would have been taboo, a big deal. But today, coming from an entitled rock star, it's just wierd. Sure, the first time he decides to give an employee a hug he might say something; but he's still doing his "can we hug?" song and dance on the fourth and fifth one, too.

I often felt like Lindner had nailed it with the ensemble scenes but missed the mark when Jane and Nico were one-on-one. The scene where Jane meets the modern incarnation of Blanche Ingram is so pitch perfect that reading it gave me a better understanding of the same scene in the original book. Lindner's version had the exact same feel and tone, but it felt real and immediate in a way that the 19th century version just can't.

One final note: for the most part, Lindner does a really excellent job of finding a modern equivalent for the twists and turns in Bronte's plot. But there is one particular element of the original that Lindner carries over without changing, and which makes absolutely NO sense. I won't spoil which one I think this is - to the extent that there are spoilers in a book like this, it's answering too many questions about what and how Lindner changed the original - but I really think she could have, and should have, found a different solution. ( )
  MlleEhreen | Sep 20, 2013 |
I seriously enjoyed this rewrite and while there was some unnecessary swearing in it...and I have a feeling that the author didn't want it either but the editors insisted....it was a fun read. ( )
  carolvanbrocklin | Aug 15, 2013 |
I tackled this book with fairly low expectations, and was still disappointed. ( )
  Maggie.Evans | Aug 1, 2013 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon

Be a retellin' 'o

Jane Eyre by the scurvy dog Charlotte Brontë

You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
F'rst scribbled
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
Startin' out
What the sprogs be sayin'
Final flappin'
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo

Nought

Tome description

No notes found; 'tis a mystery of the deep..

In this contemporary retelling of "Jane Eyre," an orphaned nanny becomes entranced with her magnetic and brooding employer, a rock star with a torturous secret from his past.

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.62)

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,181 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible