Jane by April Lindner

Title:Jane
Authors:April Lindner
Info:Poppy (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 384 pages

Jane by April Lindner

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (spammie1)
    A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont (kaledrina)
    New Girl by Paige Harbison (FutureMrsJoshGroban)
    FutureMrsJoshGroban: "New Girl" is a retelling of Daphne du Maurier's novel "Rebecca", which is a retelling of "Jane Eyre". New Girl is also marketed for teens.

I adore Jane Eyre, so I was prepared to be disappointed by this modern adaptation. My verdict? Not bad. (Light years better than the latest film version starring Michael Fassbender) Elements of the plot that are problematic in the original become downright ridiculous in the modern world. This spills over into the character development – or rather, the lack thereof.

For a truly superior adaptation of Jane Eyre, you must read Jenna Starborn by Sharon Shinn… I must admit I like it better than the original and the science fiction setting makes all the plot problems completely feasible.
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
The writing wasn't the best, but it was an enjoyable re-imagining of the story. ( )
  keindi | Jan 23, 2016 |
Based on the much loved "Jane Eyre" this contemporary retelling of Charlotte Bronte's classic is an enjoyable read. At first I wondered if I would like this book as "Jane Eyre" has always been a favourite of mine, but thankfully Lindner stays fairly true to the original story's mood and themes. However, while Nico Rathburn, a famous rock star, makes a worthy Mr Rochester, Jane seems rather old-fashioned and lacks the fire that Jane Eyre had. Also, their romance feels rushed and, at times, the chemistry between them forced and unconvincing.

Whilst not as good as the original, "Jane" will appeal to romantics and introduce a new generation of readers to a classic love story. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Not terribly written, but disappointing from a moral perspective. Way too much language (numerous f-bombs). I stopped reading halfway through the book when, after confessing their love for each, Jane and R sleep together (rather than getting engaged as they did in the original Jane Eyre). Eugh. ( )
  TheEditrix | Jan 13, 2016 |
I haven't read Jane Eyre in a very long time but I have to say the book was close enough to the original that it reminded me of everything that happened in Bronte's. I really loved Jane and I thought making Mr. Rathburn a rock star was an interesting way to make him seem unaproachable but not. I absolutely loved Maddy, she was just so much fun and such a great kid.

Basically the book was kind of like a comfort read for me. It mimicked the original enough that I got that sense of happiness that comes from reading a book you love for probably the millionth time but because of the new setting, new characters and new time frame I got still feel like I was reading a new book. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Is a retelling of

In this contemporary retelling of "Jane Eyre," an orphaned nanny becomes entranced with her magnetic and brooding employer, a rock star with a torturous secret from his past.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,149,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible