Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)…

Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18) (edition 2010)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:moppety
Title:Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Horror, Zombies, Weres

Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton

Why did I do this to myself? Why return to Anita Blake, when all she does is annoy and frustrate me?

Because I am a fool.

But as foolish as I am, at least I didn't write a novel in which all the male characters tell Anita how hot and desirable and wonderful she is for an entire chapter. Is there a plot? Sure, but it's solved in about two minutes. Truthfully, there are so many problems with this story that it’s hard to know what to complain about most.

-The pages upon pages of descriptions of each man’s hair, eyes, muscles, and dreadful clothing choices?
-The chapter in which nothing happens except Anita and her waiter flirting with each other?
-The way the reader is repeatedly reminded that every single other female character is stupider, meaner, and less pretty than Anita?
-How every single time Anita does anything, all the male characters comment on how amazing and astounding it is?
-How Anita Blake uses magic to take away someone’s free will for the rest of his life? And then has sex with him? And then has a long discussion with her other boyfriends about whether she should “keep” him, while the poor dude listens and weeps? And then all her boyfriends comfort her about how hard it must have been on her?
-Or ooh, how ‘bout how we’re supposed to think Anita is oh-so-moral because she refuses to raise zombies that someone wants to have sex with, but then she raises zombies and forces them to kill and eat people? Including their own family members?

This series better end with someone chopping her head off, because at this point Anita Blake is actively evil.
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Really a novella. Only one sex scene and it wasn't overdone as usual. Really kind of tame compared to most of hers. She now has all her animals covered with having a male counterpart. Looks like she'll need to add another one to her list. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This is the first Anita book in quite awhile where I felt that the story actually took precedence over the sex. It also was nice to get back to connecting with her job. I do like the darker tone of Hamilton's Anita books, but this one felt like it had a lot more balance than being just about violence and sex and "oh yeah, there should be a plot here" and I enjoyed it way more than the last few Anita books. ( )
  DuchessofHazard | Nov 29, 2015 |
It's weird, after I read the free excerpt of this book a few weeks ago I actually predicted the plot somewhere on this site. So it was predictable. Oh dear.

We got back to zombie raising, necromancy powers and master vampire powers as well as Anita falling back on her coping mechanism of going to the "empty place", the place she goes when she kills. This is good. However, all of the events involving these were cut and paste scenes from previous books. Come to think of it most of this book was made up of scenes from previous novels, the ending of [b:The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)|15309|The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) |Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166672214s/15309.jpg|2428162] being the first to come to mind. So it was repetitive. Oh dear, oh dear.

There was a scene where the lions were attracted to Anita (like they wouldn't be)but instead of the reason being the ardeur it was that her lion was in heat. Huh? Why do we need more reasons for Anita to be attracting every Tom, Dick and Harry? And out of the two intensely powerful lions on offer, the one I didn't respect was the one that Anita had her standard mandatory sex scene with and added him to her harem. But the way she took this lion was horrible. She broke him and then she and her men mocked him and compared him to a puppy. I was utterly disgusted by this. Mocking him was uncalled for and I'm not entirely certain that breaking him was absolutely necessary. There's a part of me that thinks that Anita is losing her humanity because one of the reasons she did this was to make her life easier so she wouldn't have another Richard - in my view that is evil. I would have preferred that she kill him rather than take him home to be her mindless slave (he has no free will at all), it would have been the merciful thing to do. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I will say that I am an Anita fan. Or I was, I'm not sure any more. [b:Incubus Dreams|30271|Incubus Dreams (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #12)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1231282953s/30271.jpg|2963636] (book 12) was the last book I truly liked, [b:Skin Trade|5215879|Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #17)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255583495s/5215879.jpg|5283119] (book 17) was mildly better but Flirt was a bit of a disappointment. I'm missing Jean-Claude, badly. Lately in every book he gets left behind one way or another, I'm missing him terribly. His absence is one of the reasons why I think this series is on the skids. I think it might be time for Anita to hang up her guns and move into the retirement home for assassins.

Readable trash. ( )
1 vote Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This one was hard to rate. I enjoyed reading more of Anita's job, but I basically just skim the sex scenes. Will continue the series because I must know how it all ends, but I have to say I'm not as excited about the books as I was when I first started the series. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
This one's for Daven and Wendi, friends who finally taught me the fine art of flirting. Thanks for the inspiration.
For Jonathon, too, because he was there by my side when inspiration struck. he has taught me that to be happy with someone, first they must be my friend. Without that there can be nothing else.
"I WANT YOU to raise my wife from the dead, Ms. Blake," Tony Bennington said, in a voice that matched the expensive suit and the flash of the Rolex on his right wrist.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss. Anita knows something about love, and she knows everything there is to know about loss. But what she also knows, though Tony Bennington seems unwilling to be convinced, is that the thing she can do as a necromancer isn't the miracle he thinks he needs. The creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs.Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs.Bennington. Not really. And not for long.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss ... but the creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs. Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs. Bennington. Not really. And not for long.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,942,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible