Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)…

Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18) (edition 2010)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:moppety
Title:Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Horror, Zombies, Weres

Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton

Recently added byprivate library, Theadora78, Debra_Burge, dafinker, Debbie97462, atcolorado, Glennis.LeBlanc

This one was hard to rate. I enjoyed reading more of Anita's job, but I basically just skim the sex scenes. Will continue the series because I must know how it all ends, but I have to say I'm not as excited about the books as I was when I first started the series. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
Flirt was a surprise Anita book similar to Micah, shorter in length, with a focus on Anita's relationships, not the broader supernatural community. Also, there's a return to Anita's necromancer roots, which was nice.

So what's up is there are two potential clients who want Anita to raise their dead spouse for all the wrong reasons. Anita turns both down and after the second client leaves, she goes out to lunch with Nathaniel, Micah and Jason. And Nathaniel and Anita get their flirt on...with a waiter at the restaurant. But a few days after this, Anita is kidnapped by some werelions who were hired by one of her spurned clients and all hell breaks loose. Anita's lion is in heat...and she's looking for a Rex for her pride. Oh no. You know what this means. Another metaphysical emergency where Anita needs to have sex. But it's all good. She didn't have a lion in her harem yet anyway. So now she potentially has two. But are they willing to share? Because I've lost cost of how many men Anita counts on to feed her sexually. I know it's not more than 20. But it is more than 10. o_O

As much as I harp on these books, I still can't help reading them. I think if I were to go cold turkey from LKH books, I'd shrivel up into a little ball and waste away. These books are a part of me.

Er...not quite. But still, you know what I mean, right? Book EIGHTEEN people!! There is no turning back from this series by now. If you are tempted to start this series, and I know you are, stop after Obsidian Butterfly. Which is book 9.

Also another thing I found interesting? When Anita was mentally shuffling through her men, she didn't count Richard among them. Is this a sign of the end of Richard? Please goddess, let it be so!

So what did I think? Flirt was a quick, fun read, that's what. I know, I know. But I'm hopeful.
I should not have to flirt with someone while I'm trying to threaten someone else with a gun; it was too hard to do both.
It sounds like Anita is back. And she's totally kick ass. So there.

However, Flirt is only getting a C from me. The annoying way Anita has of questioning everything still bugs me every time. It wasn't as bad, but now the other characters are doing it too. Ugh. And the new guy, there is some potential. ( )
1 vote ames | Sep 30, 2013 |

It sounds like Anita is back. And she's totally kick ass. So there.

ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
Didn't hate it but didn't really enjoy it either. Its a very short book.
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
I have gotten to the point where Anita Blake books do nothing for me. It's because everyone wants to be with her, be like her or kill her. She is all powerful and doesn't need anyone. She's Buffy, but with dark hair. And by the end of the series, I wanted to stake Buffy my own damned self.

The one thing that pisses me off the most about Anita Blake though is the sex. I get it, you were raised one way, with those beliefs. But I hate that she's with fifty million lovers, is still a prude and pushes her prudish beliefs on others. Guess what Anita, Jean-Claude and Asher like to do the wild thing...together, without you. Stop with the squirrel face.

The storylines are the same. Bad guy comes to town. Bad guy threatens Anita or one of her many boyfriends. Anita flexes her muscles. Anita gets a new scar. Bad guy dies. Oh, and Anita gets a new boyfriend/pet.

The only thing keeping me reading an Anita Blake book is the fact I love the characters, even if they have increased in power but devolved on a whole.

Um. The book? I gave the book four stars, because I think it worked because it was short and it didn't involve all of the kiss/pack/pard/pride. Although I found it strange that two characters came to her for the same reason, but weren't connected to each other. That made no sense to me.

Sorry for the long ramble about everything but this book, but its been a long time coming for me to voice my frustration with the Anita Blake series. I honestly would be interested in reading an Anita Blake that didn't involve her having sex, gaining a new power or boyfriend.

DrkCherry | Sep 21, 2013 |
This one's for Daven and Wendi, friends who finally taught me the fine art of flirting. Thanks for the inspiration.
For Jonathon, too, because he was there by my side when inspiration struck. he has taught me that to be happy with someone, first they must be my friend. Without that there can be nothing else.
"I WANT YOU to raise my wife from the dead, Ms. Blake," Tony Bennington said, in a voice that matched the expensive suit and the flash of the Rolex on his right wrist.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss. Anita knows something about love, and she knows everything there is to know about loss. But what she also knows, though Tony Bennington seems unwilling to be convinced, is that the thing she can do as a necromancer isn't the miracle he thinks he needs. The creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs.Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs.Bennington. Not really. And not for long.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss ... but the creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs. Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs. Bennington. Not really. And not for long.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible