Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)…

Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18) (edition 2010)

by Laurell K. Hamilton

Member:moppety
Title:Flirt (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, Book 18)
Authors:Laurell K. Hamilton
Info:Berkley Hardcover (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 192 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Witches, Horror, Zombies, Weres

Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton

It's weird, after I read the free excerpt of this book a few weeks ago I actually predicted the plot somewhere on this site. So it was predictable. Oh dear.

We got back to zombie raising, necromancy powers and master vampire powers as well as Anita falling back on her coping mechanism of going to the "empty place", the place she goes when she kills. This is good. However, all of the events involving these were cut and paste scenes from previous books. Come to think of it most of this book was made up of scenes from previous novels, the ending of [b:The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2)|15309|The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) |Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1166672214s/15309.jpg|2428162] being the first to come to mind. So it was repetitive. Oh dear, oh dear.

There was a scene where the lions were attracted to Anita (like they wouldn't be)but instead of the reason being the ardeur it was that her lion was in heat. Huh? Why do we need more reasons for Anita to be attracting every Tom, Dick and Harry? And out of the two intensely powerful lions on offer, the one I didn't respect was the one that Anita had her standard mandatory sex scene with and added him to her harem. But the way she took this lion was horrible. She broke him and then she and her men mocked him and compared him to a puppy. I was utterly disgusted by this. Mocking him was uncalled for and I'm not entirely certain that breaking him was absolutely necessary. There's a part of me that thinks that Anita is losing her humanity because one of the reasons she did this was to make her life easier so she wouldn't have another Richard - in my view that is evil. I would have preferred that she kill him rather than take him home to be her mindless slave (he has no free will at all), it would have been the merciful thing to do. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

I will say that I am an Anita fan. Or I was, I'm not sure any more. [b:Incubus Dreams|30271|Incubus Dreams (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #12)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1231282953s/30271.jpg|2963636] (book 12) was the last book I truly liked, [b:Skin Trade|5215879|Skin Trade (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #17)|Laurell K. Hamilton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255583495s/5215879.jpg|5283119] (book 17) was mildly better but Flirt was a bit of a disappointment. I'm missing Jean-Claude, badly. Lately in every book he gets left behind one way or another, I'm missing him terribly. His absence is one of the reasons why I think this series is on the skids. I think it might be time for Anita to hang up her guns and move into the retirement home for assassins.

Readable trash. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This one was hard to rate. I enjoyed reading more of Anita's job, but I basically just skim the sex scenes. Will continue the series because I must know how it all ends, but I have to say I'm not as excited about the books as I was when I first started the series. ( )
  vampkiss | Oct 23, 2013 |
Flirt was a surprise Anita book similar to Micah, shorter in length, with a focus on Anita's relationships, not the broader supernatural community. Also, there's a return to Anita's necromancer roots, which was nice.

So what's up is there are two potential clients who want Anita to raise their dead spouse for all the wrong reasons. Anita turns both down and after the second client leaves, she goes out to lunch with Nathaniel, Micah and Jason. And Nathaniel and Anita get their flirt on...with a waiter at the restaurant. But a few days after this, Anita is kidnapped by some werelions who were hired by one of her spurned clients and all hell breaks loose. Anita's lion is in heat...and she's looking for a Rex for her pride. Oh no. You know what this means. Another metaphysical emergency where Anita needs to have sex. But it's all good. She didn't have a lion in her harem yet anyway. So now she potentially has two. But are they willing to share? Because I've lost cost of how many men Anita counts on to feed her sexually. I know it's not more than 20. But it is more than 10. o_O

As much as I harp on these books, I still can't help reading them. I think if I were to go cold turkey from LKH books, I'd shrivel up into a little ball and waste away. These books are a part of me.

Er...not quite. But still, you know what I mean, right? Book EIGHTEEN people!! There is no turning back from this series by now. If you are tempted to start this series, and I know you are, stop after Obsidian Butterfly. Which is book 9.

Also another thing I found interesting? When Anita was mentally shuffling through her men, she didn't count Richard among them. Is this a sign of the end of Richard? Please goddess, let it be so!

So what did I think? Flirt was a quick, fun read, that's what. I know, I know. But I'm hopeful.
I should not have to flirt with someone while I'm trying to threaten someone else with a gun; it was too hard to do both.
It sounds like Anita is back. And she's totally kick ass. So there.

However, Flirt is only getting a C from me. The annoying way Anita has of questioning everything still bugs me every time. It wasn't as bad, but now the other characters are doing it too. Ugh. And the new guy, there is some potential. ( )
1 vote ames | Sep 30, 2013 |

It sounds like Anita is back. And she's totally kick ass. So there.

ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
Didn't hate it but didn't really enjoy it either. Its a very short book.
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
This one's for Daven and Wendi, friends who finally taught me the fine art of flirting. Thanks for the inspiration.
For Jonathon, too, because he was there by my side when inspiration struck. he has taught me that to be happy with someone, first they must be my friend. Without that there can be nothing else.
"I WANT YOU to raise my wife from the dead, Ms. Blake," Tony Bennington said, in a voice that matched the expensive suit and the flash of the Rolex on his right wrist.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss. Anita knows something about love, and she knows everything there is to know about loss. But what she also knows, though Tony Bennington seems unwilling to be convinced, is that the thing she can do as a necromancer isn't the miracle he thinks he needs. The creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs.Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs.Bennington. Not really. And not for long.

When Anita Blake meets with prospective client Tony Bennington, who is desperate to have her reanimate his recently deceased wife, she is full of sympathy for his loss ... but the creature that Anita could coerce to step out of the late Mrs. Bennington's grave would not be the lovely Mrs. Bennington. Not really. And not for long.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,400,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible