Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice by John Layman

Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice (original 2009; edition 2009)

by John Layman

Member:Enka
Title:Chew Volume 1: Tasters Choice
Authors:John Layman
Info:Image Comics (2009), Paperback, 128 pages
Collections:To read

Chew, Volume 01: Taster's Choice by John Layman (2009)

Pretty gruesome, but an interesting idea if you can stomach it (haha): Tony Chu is a cop and a cibopath, meaning that he gets a psychic impression of anything he eats: how it was produced, or how it died. Subsequently he uses his power to solve a murder mystery in a most unusual manner. The book is set in an alternate not-so-distant future where the bird flu has killed millions and the FDA has banned the consumption and production of chicken. Tony Chu gets involved in the FDA and puts his powers to use in ways not even he could imagine. The art is so-so and the story is decent, so I might continue reading this series.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I think this series has a lot of promise and I look forward to reading further volumes-curious to see how this idea develops. I'm most in love with the illustrations. ( )
  allriledup | Aug 11, 2018 |
This book has been on my to-read shelf for so long I forgot it was there, and that is truly a shame. This series has been lauded by many, adored by a lot of my friends here on GoodReads, and something I've seen off and on in the library for ages with some curiosity. It was Karen's recent review of Volume 12 - the final in the series - that prompted me to finally check it out. Man, I am glad I did. I feel inordinately lucky to be getting into this at a time when I can binge read it all in a short matter of days.

The series focuses on Tony Chu, a man with the unfortunate power to gain psychic impressions from things that he eats. This is a great boon to his law enforcement career, if only he's willing to gnaw a bit on a corpse now and then. Which, naturally, he does. This dystopian future sees the FDA cracking down on chicken distributors due to a full prohibition of the poultry thanks to the likely falsified threat of avian flu. Why did the government fake the threat? What exactly is going on? I have no real idea, but man, it grips you.

The characters are engaging, the art great, and the gross out factor high. It was with a mixture of confusion and perverse mirth that I dug in, and I can't wait to read more. This series is going to be just the sort of insane ride that I love, and I'm grateful for all you crazy GoodReads friends for praising this series and getting me to pick it up.

In particular you, Karen. You rock. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Loved this offbeat, strange and ultimately funny book.

Full review here: http://www.andrlik.org/blog/2010/nov/16/review-chew-tasters-choice-john-layman-r... ( )
  andrlik | Apr 24, 2018 |
This is really, really good. Exactly what I like to read when I read comics. Like a really clever and innovative and different TV show, but not trying to be clever/innovative/different as much as it trying to be good. Fine line, that. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |

John Laymanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guillory, RobIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
John: To Kim, who surely expected my weird cannibals and bird flu idea to flop, and supported my mad folly nontheless.

Rob: To April, who makes me think I can lift mountains. And to Mom and Dad, who sheltered my dreams, while not completely understanding them.
Prologue:
Slow-simmered shredded chicken, vegetable, and three-bean soup.

"Tony Chu is a detective with a secret. A weird secret. Tony Chu is Cibopathic, which means he gets psychic impressions from whatever he eats. It also means he's a hell of a detective, as long as he doesn't mind nibbling on the corpse of a murder victim to figure out whodunit, and why. He's been brought on by the Special Crimes Division of the FDA, the most powerful law enforcement agency on the planet, to investigate their strangest, sickest, and most bizarre cases"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,618,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible