Mapping the Edge by Sarah Dunant

Mapping the Edge

by Sarah Dunant

English (13)  Dutch (1)  All languages (14)
I really really loved this book. birth of venus was a let down after this ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
Well this was a strange one. A woman goes missing while on holiday in Italy, at home her friends and child wonder what might have happened and we are given two possible stories. There are elements in both that mirror each other but they are very different tales. I did like the way that the layers built on each other and the people in England who care about what might have happened to her add another dimension to the story.

I must say that I preferred Sarah Dunant's historical novel The Birth of Venus to this contemporary mystery but it is good to know that she is a versatile author who handles the various strands of this novel in an interesting way that kept me reading. ( )
1 vote calm | Nov 4, 2011 |
Grrr.....second DNC of the week.

Has at least one strand too many, without disctinct enough voices established early enough to be able to cope with her switching narrators as often as she does.
  nordie | Jul 1, 2011 |
I've not read any Sarah Dunant for ages. This one took me a while to get into. Then I loved it for a long time. Then I got a bit disappointed with the ending. That summarises it pretty well. This is the Stella's story: her friend Anna goes missing on a trip to Italy and what we have as well as Stella coping with Anna's young daughter is two flights of Stella's imagination as she thinks about what could have happened to Anna. Figuring out the two parallel versions of what could have happened to Anna is what took me a while to get into in the beginning. The similarities and differences between the two stories made for a fabulous middle of the book. But just as I was wondering how on earth the book was going to conclude I was disappointed and I didn't really feel it all came together in the end. A good read all the same and one that makes me want to seek out the other Dunants that I haven't read.
  nocto | Dec 15, 2010 |
for book group, December 2010 ( )
  gregory_gwen | Dec 3, 2010 |
For Georgia and Zoe
People go missing every day.
"Mapping the edge" by Sarah Dunant -- Translations include "Spoorloos in Italië"

Anna packs her bags one day without telling anyone where and why she is going - just that she'll be back soon. Her thoughts, as she boards a plane, is that this journey will give her time to think about her life - as a woman hitting forty, a journalist and a single mother. She has no premonition that she will become a statistic in a missing person file. Left at home is Anna's beloved six year old daughter Lily, her gay friend Paul who is surrogate father to Lily, and her eccentric best friend Estella. When Anna doesn't return, they make uneasy excuses, until, as time passes, the mind-numbing possibility that Anna might not be coming back, becomes terrifyingly real. And while those closest to her battle with their imaginations, Anna is on a dark journey - in one scenario Anna is on a ravishing, sexual adventure, on the other, much darker voyage, she is the victim of a stranger's dangerous sexual fantasy. In a masterpiece of emotionally intelligent and nerve-wracking suspense, Sarah Dunant takes us to the very edge.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375758615, Paperback)

Sarah Dunant's Mapping the Edge explores the best of two worlds, offering readers a suspenseful, eerie plot and a delicately nuanced exploration of the kinds of prickly, challenging ideas that, sadly, usually lie outside the province of the traditional thriller.

When Anna decides to take an impromptu trip to Italy, she packs her bag, leaves her 6-year-old daughter, Lily, at home with close friends, and steps onto the plane. She's always been a woman of action, and her personal and professional lives have been filled to overflowing recently. So her friends Paul and Estella think nothing of the jaunt--it's a well-deserved break, a weekend for psychic refreshment, a brief step outside reality.

But a disappearance? When Anna fails to return, Paul and Estella make excuses, to themselves and to Lily. When the weekend stretches toward a week, the possibility of her permanent absence becomes hauntingly real. Dunant takes that absence and weaves together a pair of possible "explanations," playing out alternating scenarios of seduction (Anna in the throes of a disturbingly passionate, illicit affair) and abduction (Anna in the grasp of a stranger whose cordiality turns gradually to madness).

The narratives are both twinned and twinning, less separate alternative accounts than a dialogue, with moments, objects, and phrases that serve as uncanny mirrors between the two. Dunant is indeed a skilled mapmaker--her novel maps the edge of the self, its boundaries that so often go unquestioned. Anna's sojourn in Italy is an excavation of the threat of being defined by one's relationship to others and the temptation to redefine oneself beyond the restrictions of conventional expectation, no matter how seductive, how forceful, that convention. --Kelly Flynn

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:30 -0400)

Anna packs her bags one day without telling anyone where and why she is going - just that she'll be back soon. Her thoughts, as she boards a plane, are that this journey will give her time to think about her life - as a woman hitting forty, a journalist and a single mother. She has no premonition that she will become a statistic in a missing person file. Left at home is Anna's beloved six-year-old daughter Lily, her gay friend Paul who is surrogate father to Lily, and her eccentric best friend Estella. When Anna doesn't return, they make uneasy excuses, until, as time passes, the mind-numbing possibility that Anna might not be coming back, becomes terrifyingly real. And while those closest to her battle with their imaginations, Anna is on a dark journey - in one scenario Anna is on a ravishing, sexual adventure, on the other, much darker voyage, she is the victim of a stranger's dangerous sexual fantasy. In a masterpiece of emotionally intelligent and nerve-wracking suspense, Sarah Dunant takes us to the very edge.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,733,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible