Dirty Little Secrets by C. J. Omololu

Dirty Little Secrets (edition 2011)

by C. J. Omololu

Member:albanypubliclibrary
Title:Dirty Little Secrets
Authors:C. J. Omololu
Info:Walker Childrens (2011), Paperback, 224 pages
Collections:obob '13

Dirty Little Secrets by C. J. Omololu

This book sat in my to read pile for far longer than it should have. Lucy is extremely likable and I found myself on her side from the beginning. This makes her choices all that much easier to stand behind.

This is a quick read, perhaps too short really. I would have been happy with some more flashbacks and more about what happened to Lucy 'after'. This shortness makes the book feel like a snapshot rather than a story.

Still, I really enjoyed this and would recomend it to others. ( )
  sscarllet | Nov 23, 2016 |
timely topic - lots of students i work w/have a fascination w/hoarders (as i do although the show seems to have tired me of the subject). anyway, this book started off promising - characters were well drawn-out and believable - but the ending was abrupt and a little ridiculous and contrived. disappointed. ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |
16 yr old Lucy has kept her mother's hoarding a family secret, at the expense of friendships and a normal teen life. When her mother unexpectedly dies, buried under mounds of trash, Lucy must decide what secrets are worth keeping.

Family dynamics, mother/daughter relationships, dysfunctional families ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
I found this book slow and repetitive, with an unsatisfying ending. A disappointing read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
So, I thought a book about hoarding may be kind of interesting. I mean, I’ve seen Hoarders; the episodes were both fascinating and kind of gross. And while some of the descriptions in this book had me rethinking the wisdom of eating lunch while reading it, I found myself kind of bored with it all.

I’m the kind of person who thrives on dialog in a story. I love the interaction between characters and the wittier the banter is the better. Unfortunately for me, Lucy is alone through most of this book. I get that she wants to keep her living conditions under wraps. I understand the extreme anxiety she feels about being found out and wanting to keep everyone away from her reality. I even know what it’s like to feel embarrassed by something someone else has done and hope to goodness that your own reputation doesn’t tank simply by association. Really, I do. It’s just that her inner-dialog didn’t really do it for me, and having the majority of the conversations take place in flashbacks left me feeling a bit underwhelmed.

I guess I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. You know, for someone to find out. Or for some kind of conflict that never quite showed up. I mean, there is that whole Other Situation with her mom. And if I’m being perfectly honest, finding out how Lucy handled that was my main motivation for finishing the book. In the end, even that left me feeling disappointed. While things do get resolved, I don’t feel like Lucy really dealt with the situation. I mean, she finds a way to take care of it, but she doesn’t really deal with it. Ya know what I mean?

Anyways, I guess the bottom line is that this book was just ‘OK’ for me. It wasn’t horrible. It wasn’t great. It just was. Really, it boils down to personal preference on this one. If you don’t mind some alone time in a character’s head and you have a strong stomach, you may want to check this out. It wasn’t written badly or anything, it just wasn’t for me. ( )
  dkgarner95 | Jul 29, 2015 |
For Bayo, who always knew
Before: Everyone has secrets. Some are just bigger and dirtier than others.

Everyone has secrets. Some are just bigger and dirtier than others. For sixteen years, Lucy has kept her mother's hoarding a secret. She's had to—nobody would understand the stacks of newspapers and mounds of garbage so high they touch the ceiling and the rotting smell that she's always worried would follow her out the house. After years of keeping people at a distance, she finally has a best friend and maybe even a boyfriend if she can play it right. As long as she can make them think she's normal. When Lucy arrives home from a sleepover to find her mother dead under a stack of National Geographics, she starts to dial 911 in a panic, but pauses before she can connect. She barely notices the filth and trash anymore, but she knows the paramedics will. First the fire trucks, and then news cameras that will surely follow. No longer will they be remembered as the nice oncology nurse with the lovely children—they'll turn into that garbage-hoarding freak family on Collier Avenue. With a normal life finally within reach, Lucy has only minutes to make a critical decision. How far will she go to keep the family secrets safe?

When her unstable mother dies unexpectedly, sixteen-year-old Lucy must take control and find a way to keep the long-held secret of her mother's compulsive hoarding from being revealed to friends, neighbors, and especially the media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,422,152 books! | Top bar: Always visible